Linux/Windows Same pc save configuration

Crius

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Linux members,

I'm considering to install windows on the same PC as my Linux installation is on. Sure it is recommended it install windows first and might do that.

The thing is that on my Linux installation (Mint) are a lot of important files and I don't want that windows will be callable to touch them.

I want to ask what your Experience is with this. Will encryption do it or are there more ways to make sure that windows can't touch my Linux installation.

Well I think an important question is what are you needing windows for? speaking broadly windows doesn't even recognize the Linux filesystem formats(ext4) so if youre worried about a basic user accessing your files you should be okay.

I always recommend virtual machines assuming your pc has plenty of resources. High demanding programs like games or photoshop require additional work that you may or may not be willing to do.

This isn't the best way to do a Windows/Linux dual boot. It is recommended that Windows be installed first for a reason. Like Kryptoghost said above, Windows can't see the Linux partition, so there is a good chance it will overwrite some, if not all of your Linux install. However, if you want to try this, make an image of your current drive, or clone it if you have a spare. Next, shrink your Linux partition, if it is using the entire drive, then create a NTFS partition that is large enough to hold your version of windows and any personal stuff and additional software for windows. After a successful install of Windows you will need to edit Grub, and edit your windows MBR so that you have access to booting both operating systems. EasyBCD is good for editing the windows boot file.

Good luck!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts