Linux wifi cannot connect to public wifi.

dickyjicky24

Reaction score
Credits
I am a beginner of Linux system. I am using Ubuntu 18.04.3 with vmware player 15. I am facing a trouble about how to connect to public WiFi.

I am using bridge connection, which i must use it because i want vmware can stand alone as a PC on the network.
When i try to connect to public WiFi, my original PC (win 10) will show up a page that redirect to a terms page, after i accepted the terms, i can connect to internet.

But in the vmware (Ubuntu), i cannot reach any WiFi, it keeps showing up a box that tells me "Activation of network connection failed". When i reboot the system (Ubuntu), it shows that it connected, but a question mark (?) will appears on the WiFi icon. It seems that it cannot recognize the public WiFi.

i have already chose adapters which are using in my original PC (win 10). I am also tested in my home that tried to connect my private WiFi, and it works, no matter WiFi or Ethernet. But when I tried to connect to public WiFi, it fails.

I found that when Ubuntu told me it had connected WiFi, I could only get ipv6 rather than ipv4, and it seems like Ubuntu cannot recognize the DNS of that public WiFi.

how can i fix it?

Try using Linux CentOS 7, in these OS you can active the wired Network Connection select NAT.

Thanks for your reply, but i need to use bridge to must sure my computer(ubuntu) can stand alone in the network.

And i have already tried to connect wifi with bridge in my home which doesnt have to redirect to any web page, and it was successful.

and my problem is that i can not connect to dhcp and i cannot get any ip address form dhcp in the public wifi

i dont know how to fix this problem

Well, I hate saying this in a forum, but I don't know the answer. I too had this problem about a year ago. Except I wasn't trying to get a VM on the network, it was my only OS on my laptop. I'm pretty sure I was running Neon then. I could get my iPhone on the wifi but my laptop just would not load that stupid hotel page. I ended up using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop. So it may be a shortcoming in Linux. I never found an answer, but I don't hang out at hotels that often to keep trying.

Thanks for your reply, but i need to use bridge to must sure my computer(ubuntu) can stand alone in the network.

And i have already tried to connect wifi with bridge in my home which doesnt have to redirect to any web page, and it was successful.

and my problem is that i can not connect to dhcp and i cannot get any ip address form dhcp in the public wifi

i dont know how to fix this problem

I forget ask you something, can you tell what model is your computer? I mean...HP, Dell or Acer., because I have identical problem with the Dell Laptop, when I use HP laptop it's work fine.

If you are trying to access wifi in a vm you normally need to use a USB wifi device and tell the vm to allow the guest OS to control it. Most vm's created a virtual ethernet device on the guest that is bridged to the connection on the host OS

I forget ask you something, can you tell what model is your computer? I mean...HP, Dell or Acer., because I have identical problem with the Dell Laptop, when I use HP laptop it's work fine.
sorry for late answering, i am using lenovo thinkpad T480

Like other people here I have no clue. But you have to know that wireless connections wont allow multiple mac address to be used for a single connection so there is no way to make a full bridge on wireless connections. Your vm might think that it has its own mac address but it will be translated to the hypervisor's mac address when data goes out of the hypervisor network card.
Since most public network with web panel access control rely on mac address there's a chance that it just wont work.

I don't know how you VM is configured to have access to your wireless card which makes things quite hard to guess. Maybe you should try to set the same mac address for your VM virtual card as the one for your actual hardware card.

Members online

Latest posts