Linux wifi cannot connect to public wifi.

dickyjicky24

I am a beginner of Linux system. I am using Ubuntu 18.04.3 with vmware player 15. I am facing a trouble about how to connect to public WiFi.

I am using bridge connection, which i must use it because i want vmware can stand alone as a PC on the network.
When i try to connect to public WiFi, my original PC (win 10) will show up a page that redirect to a terms page, after i accepted the terms, i can connect to internet.

But in the vmware (Ubuntu), i cannot reach any WiFi, it keeps showing up a box that tells me "Activation of network connection failed". When i reboot the system (Ubuntu), it shows that it connected, but a question mark (?) will appears on the WiFi icon. It seems that it cannot recognize the public WiFi.

i have already chose adapters which are using in my original PC (win 10). I am also tested in my home that tried to connect my private WiFi, and it works, no matter WiFi or Ethernet. But when I tried to connect to public WiFi, it fails.

I found that when Ubuntu told me it had connected WiFi, I could only get ipv6 rather than ipv4, and it seems like Ubuntu cannot recognize the DNS of that public WiFi.

how can i fix it?

dickyjicky24

Thanks for your reply, but i need to use bridge to must sure my computer(ubuntu) can stand alone in the network.

And i have already tried to connect wifi with bridge in my home which doesnt have to redirect to any web page, and it was successful.

and my problem is that i can not connect to dhcp and i cannot get any ip address form dhcp in the public wifi

i dont know how to fix this problem

TechnoJunky

Silver Member
Silver Supporter
Well, I hate saying this in a forum, but I don't know the answer. I too had this problem about a year ago. Except I wasn't trying to get a VM on the network, it was my only OS on my laptop. I'm pretty sure I was running Neon then. I could get my iPhone on the wifi but my laptop just would not load that stupid hotel page. I ended up using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop. So it may be a shortcoming in Linux. I never found an answer, but I don't hang out at hotels that often to keep trying.

Miguel Jimenez

Thanks for your reply, but i need to use bridge to must sure my computer(ubuntu) can stand alone in the network.

And i have already tried to connect wifi with bridge in my home which doesnt have to redirect to any web page, and it was successful.

and my problem is that i can not connect to dhcp and i cannot get any ip address form dhcp in the public wifi

i dont know how to fix this problem
I forget ask you something, can you tell what model is your computer? I mean...HP, Dell or Acer., because I have identical problem with the Dell Laptop, when I use HP laptop it's work fine.

Jeremyb

If you are trying to access wifi in a vm you normally need to use a USB wifi device and tell the vm to allow the guest OS to control it. Most vm's created a virtual ethernet device on the guest that is bridged to the connection on the host OS

Members online

Latest posts