Linux vs Windows

caferacer

Reaction score
Credits
if you put two identical PC's one running Linux and the other running Windows in a trebuchet, which would fly farther? and why?

Last edited:
Neither because if both OSs and Computers properly maintained by their user both of them should work without problems.

I have Windows 10 computers that work as well as my Linux computers.
I have Linux computers that work as well as my Windows 10 computers.

I don't have the problems with Windows 10 or Linux as other users seem to have based on the horror story's I read about both Linux and Windows 10.

Windows 10 or Linux I can use either one. o_O

Both OSs work fine on my computers and have no update problems or issues. o_O

I also have no complaints with Microsoft. o_O

started with windows 3.1 on a 286, stayed with windows until XP support ended,
then switched to Linux, never used Vista or 7, went back to windows when 10 came out, primarily for gaming, but I have a bunch of old LGA 775 stuff so I thought it would be interesting to try running Linux on them

HOWEVER I am not opposed to destroying a few old PC's in the name of science, and/or fun!
perhaps a couple Prescott, Cider Mill, or Athlon/Athlon X2 ?

Last edited:
I have a bunch of old LGA 775 stuff so I thought it would be interesting to try running Linux on them

HOWEVER I am not opposed to destroying a few old PC's in the name of science, and/or fun!
No reason to destroy anything.

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 on a core 2 duo e7400 and core 2 duo e7500 without any problems these are LGA 775 socket.

Some of the computers have 4.0 GB DDR3 memory and some have 8.0 GB DDR3 memory.

Code:
Dell-OptiPlex-XE:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Dell-OptiPlex-XE Kernel: 5.0.0-37-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.4.0
           Desktop: Gnome 3.28.4 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu4) Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex XE serial: N/A
           Mobo: Dell model: 0TNXNR v: A01 serial: N/A BIOS: Dell v: A05 date: 01/09/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7400 (-MCP-) arch: Penryn rev.10 cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11172
           clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 2105 MHz 2: 2100 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT216 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.4 ) driver: nouveau Resolution: [email protected]
           OpenGL: renderer: NVA5 version: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 NVIDIA GT216 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.0.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
           driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 05:00.0
           IF: enp5s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5761 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
           driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: enp6s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (2.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDT72503 size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 293G used: 7.9G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 31.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 41.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 198 Uptime: 2:53 Memory: 1401.3/7907.5MB Init: systemd Gcc sys: 7.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201) inxi: 2.3.56 
Dell-OptiPlex-XE:~$

perhaps a couple Prescott, Cider Mill, or Athlon/Athlon X2 ?

I've got Prescott processors and cedar mill and Athlon x2.

All of them will run Linux and as long as the single core processors are SSE2 they will work on a modern web browser.
Modern browsers of today have become resource hungry.

I've got a lot of old computers in my shop that I haven't cleared out and I used to see what Linux Distro would run on them.

Surprisingly most of the low resource Linux distos have no problem working on a single core processor until you open a browser and then be come painfully slow.

I used to overclock back in the single core days when you did what was called overclocking on the fly method aka by the seat of your pants.

These old processors still run Windows XP very well so I keep a few of the better ones around for video surveillance systems offline of course.

Still have one of these bad boys and it's an overclocker.

The good old days of the single core processor I remember them well. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows....full of crap.....sure to 'fly' further

Your killing me Condobloke.
https://opinionsandexpressions.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/rofl.gif

I had to clear out a bunch of old PC's, needed the room, I wound up scrapping most pre core 2 duo stuff, kept one Pentium 4, and an Athlon 64 X2, just because.

anyone want to buy an old Osborn series one, or a Kapro 10?
just kidding, they're going on the trebuchet

kidding kidding I'm just kidding!!!!!

Windows....full of crap.....sure to 'fly' further

Crap floats, Brian. It would not survive the wind resistance and would disintegrate before it got very far.

I blew away Windows 10 by mistake a couple of weeks ago. Elaine was worried whether she should take me to the hospital, but I told her the doctors would not be able to get the smile off my face long enough to diagnose any pain.

Welcome @caferacer to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz, humming along with 50 Linux or so.

Last edited:
Q. why do carp swim on top of the water
A. to get a taste of Wiz's floating Windows 10

G'day @caferacer
Welcome to the community.
Well you got my two larrikin countrymen off and running. :D
In regards to your question generally the bigger the mass the further it will travel and since Linux distros have the habit of being lightweights not heavy weights as they tend to stick to the KISS principle.
Micro(wherepigsfly)soft doesn't even know what it that principle means so its mass has steadily inflated over the years and has the greater mass of the two OS's.
Therefore putting the two in a trebuchet the MS computer would fly the furthest due to its mass and hit the ground harder as well. While the Linux computer will not go as far but will impact the ground fairly gently because of its lightness of mass.

I've got Prescott processors and cedar mill and Athlon x2.

All of them will run Linux and as long as the single core processors are SSE2 they will work on a modern web browser.
Modern browsers of today have become resource hungry.

I've got a lot of old computers in my shop that I haven't cleared out and I used to see what Linux Distro would run on them.

Surprisingly most of the low resource Linux distos have no problem working on a single core processor until you open a browser and then be come painfully slow.

I used to overclock back in the single core days when you did what was called overclocking on the fly method aka by the seat of your pants.

These old processors still run Windows XP very well so I keep a few of the better ones around for video surveillance systems offline of course.

Still have one of these bad boys and it's an overclocker.

The good old days of the single core processor I remember them well. :D
have you tried dillo browser on them ?

G'day @caferacer
In regards to your question generally the bigger the mass the further it will travel and since Linux distros have the habit of being lightweights not heavy weights as they tend to stick to the KISS principle.
Micro(wherepigsfly)soft doesn't even know what it that principle means so its mass has steadily inflated over the years and has the greater mass of the two OS's.
Therefore putting the two in a trebuchet the MS computer would fly the furthest due to its mass and hit the ground harder as well. While the Linux computer will not go as far but will impact the ground fairly gently because of its lightness of mass.
obviously your a scientist , ☺ the energy of the mass being E= MC²

G'day @caferacer

you are forgetting that "velocity = mass x acceleration"
Linux = less weight and therefore it will accelerate faster and travel farther

the impact should have equal energy, as the initial energy imparted by the trebuchet is a constant

however upon further reflection Linux being a very lean operating system, and windows being quite bloated, the Linux box should have better aerodynamics, and therefore retain more energy upon impact

(hey if an OS can effect mass, it should also be allowed to effect wind resistance right?)

Last edited:
Yes and for basic web searching it works OK.

I keep the old desktops around because when I built them they were the best of the best of their time and they still work great with Windows XP and Windows XP software which I still need on a rare occasion.

I have been thinking about building the windows XP gaming system I never had, as there are a few old XP games would I enjoy playing again, (Pentium 4 with stock graphics and 1 gig ram, wasn't all that great an experience)
I am thinking core2duo, 4 gig ram and a GTX 280,
because an i7 and GTX 660 would be overkill

I am thinking core2duo, 4 gig ram and a GTX 280

That would make a great build.

You should be able to build you a good gaming tower real cheap as there is plenty of Windows XP hardware around.

Members online