Linux vs Windows

Graeme Claridge

Reaction score
Credits
I am a home user and I have only ever had a Windows PC but Microsoft are beginning to get up my nose about certain things, things such as enforced updates that change the customer's default settings and rude live chat people.
I am considering installing Linux but I wish to know if I can import all of my bookmarks and saved sites, my social media and email accounts, will they all work with Linux?

I am a home user and I have only ever had a Windows PC but Microsoft are beginning to get up my nose about certain things, things such as enforced updates that change the customer's default settings and rude live chat people.
I am considering installing Linux but I wish to know if I can import all of my bookmarks and saved sites, my social media and email accounts, will they all work with Linux?

Anything that works in a web browser will work mostly the same on any os. If you use chrome or firefox and are signed in your bookmarks will transfer when you login to the browser on a linux machine because they are stored in the "cloud" If you are worried you can use the bookmark manager in your browser to back up your bookmarks to a html file that can be imported in the browser on linux.

If you are looking to get away from rude people they exist everywhere even in the linux community.

G'day Graeme, and Welcome.

The quick answers to your questions are , yes, yes & yes.

Now for some detail. Which browser are you using in windows?....IE, Firefox, chrome, ??etc

If you are looking to get away from rude people they exist everywhere even in the linux community.
Sadly, this is true. But we do try hard here to be friendly and helpful. Bringing your bookmarks to Linux is easy. Bringing your email depends on what kind of email you're using.... if web-based email, like Gmail or some other, then no problem. If you're using Outlook or some Windows email and storing your emails on your computer... then we'll have to investigate that further.

Cheers

Importing your email to Thunderbird or Evolution, I use Evolution, is just a matter of exporting the .pst file from Outlook and then importing it to Evolution. I did it several years ago when I switched to Linux. It wasn't hard. I still keep backups of the .pst file from Outlook.