Linux virus

Nothing is bullet proof and 100% and the worst threat to any OS is the user.

I've been a Linux user 6 years and have never heard of any user getting a virus on Linux.

It happens, but it's rare.

There is something called ClamAV (anti-virus)
But as Nelson said, the best thing is just don't click on the wrong link, or download the wrong software.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it seems at the time I read an article on this, there were a couple of hundred viruses for Linux, but tens of thousands for windows.

I hope that helps put it in perspective.

• Love
Reactions: T4B
Welcome T4B,
I've been using Linux Mint for about 3 years and have never had even a 'sniff' of a virus.
Frankly, I don't see why anyone would bother trying to infect Linux, when there is hardly anything financial to be gained.
Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 8370791
Engine version: 0.101.4
Scanned directories: 1
Scanned files: 11
Infected files: 2
Data scanned: 20.73 MB
Data read: 1882.34 MB (ratio 0.01:1)
Time: 59.531 sec (0 m 59 s)
i've got 2 ;

Scanning /home/andrew/Desktop/eicar_com.zip
/home/andrew/Desktop/eicar_com.zip: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND
Scanning /home/andrew/Desktop/eicar.com
/home/andrew/Desktop/eicar.com: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND

mind you i did get them on purpose from here: https://www.eicar.org/?page_id=3950

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 8370791
Engine version: 0.101.4
Scanned directories: 1
Scanned files: 11
Infected files: 2
Data scanned: 20.73 MB
Data read: 1882.34 MB (ratio 0.01:1)
Time: 59.531 sec (0 m 59 s)
i've got 2 ;

Scanning /home/andrew/Desktop/eicar_com.zip
/home/andrew/Desktop/eicar_com.zip: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND
Scanning /home/andrew/Desktop/eicar.com
/home/andrew/Desktop/eicar.com: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND

mind you i did get them on purpose from here: https://www.eicar.org/?page_id=3950
I guess if you want to get a virus on Linux, then you have to go and look for it. LOL.
Otherwise I guess we're just out of luck when it comes to viruses on Linux.
OG
BTW
I haven't forgotten about your question about how I am doing with C programming. I just got involved with lots of other stuff along the way - like Golf!!!
OG

Frankly, I don't see why anyone would bother trying to infect Linux, when there is hardly anything financial to be gained.
Except that most servers in the world run in Linux, and banks’ servers are not an exception.

There are no virus as such (spontaneous and autonomous propagation), but there are heaps of malware (trick the user to click on a link + install stuff, put sudo password) and there are a huge number of vulnerabilities and exploits for many of the Linux processes.

My two cents here for @T4B are:
  • Keep your software up to date,
  • Delete unexpected emails
  • Do not blindly follow links
  • Verify signatures of your downloads / download software from trusted repositories always,
  • Do not obey prompts for your password that weren’t expected (e.g., when clicking a link, or when opening a document like a PDF) and, in case of doubt,
  • use a malware scanner as the ones recommended or upload the suspicious file to https://www.virustotal.com/

Except that most servers in the world run in Linux, and banks’ servers are not an exception.

There are no virus as such (spontaneous and autonomous propagation), but there are heaps of malware (trick the user to click on a link + install stuff, put sudo password) and there are a huge number of vulnerabilities and exploits for many of the Linux processes.

My two cents here for @T4B are:
  • Keep your software up to date,
  • Delete unexpected emails
  • Do not blindly follow links
  • Verify signatures of your downloads / download software from trusted repositories always,
  • Do not obey prompts for your password that weren’t expected (e.g., when clicking a link, or when opening a document like a PDF) and, in case of doubt,
  • use a malware scanner as the ones recommended or upload the suspicious file to https://www.virustotal.com/
My bad.
I was only thinking about personal desktops. You are correct about the servers being run on Linux, and there would be big money involved there.
Let me go clean the egg off my face now.
OG TC

Hahaha oh man, I didn't mean to "sound" harsh.

Interestingly enough, attacking personal computers is something that has a lot of value. This material from Brian Krebs explains what is the value on a personal PC for an adversary. It's from 2012 but today it is still as current as it was back then. TL;DR: a hacked personal computer is very valuable.

BTW
I haven't forgotten about your question about how I am doing with C programming.
OG
Ok what output do you get for
: g++
and
: clang
I'm on phone so can't do square brace
Ive got both slackware if you have them could do a simple c++ file compile and run and then you tick that off your bucket list

Last edited:
@captain-sensible
It tells me I need to install both g++ and clang - which I did.
g++.png

I have no idea what I am supposed to get. Remember I am new to C and an older guy {that's not a good combination I am finding out.} But, I will march on with confidence in Linux.org people to assist me. Yay for all you good guys!!!
I also installed clang with the same message as for g++.
TC

Hahaha oh man, I didn't mean to "sound" harsh.

Interestingly enough, attacking personal computers is something that has a lot of value. This material from Brian Krebs explains what is the value on a personal PC for an adversary. It's from 2012 but today it is still as current as it was back then. TL;DR: a hacked personal computer is very valuable.
@gvisoc
I didn't think you harsh at all. I'll take a look at Brians' material.
Thanks for the corrections. I really do appreciate them.
TC :)

ok technically we are hijacking @T4B thread ; or it could be of interest ? Either g++ or Clang would have done. Maybe start a new thread out of courtesy to T4B?

Been running Linux for 10 years plus and I've never had a virus of any kind.
Been running GNU/linux distros for 10+ years and have had two root kits and been hacked three times, now. Like Garth Brooks, "I've got friends in low places." Either that or enemies in higher places (or both)! LOL

ok technically we are hijacking @T4B thread ; or it could be of interest ? Either g++ or Clang would have done. Maybe start a new thread out of courtesy to T4B?
@wizardfromoz
Cap,
Fine with me if Wiz wants to move this over to the Command Line forum.
Probably be a better place for it.
Charlie

Maybe start a new thread out of courtesy to T4B?

No I will allow it here, for the moment. The OP may gain some valuable tips from this discussion. However English is not his 1st language, and if he feels his needs are not being answered, I will separate them.

Fine with me if Wiz wants to move this over to the Command Line forum.
Probably be a better place for it.

No, actually, Linux Security is the place for AntiVirus threads.

I will pack up the whole shebang and move it over there. All will be notified.

Hang on to your hats and Wizard will send you on a magic carpet ride. :p

Wiz

Members online