Linux /usr/ local folders - silly question

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
"The /usr/local directory is where locally compiled applications install to by default – this prevents them from mucking up the rest of the system."

So when I run "default configure" - which is pretty much standard way to get from zipped source to executable -
why do some options specify "prefix=/usr" and others "prefix= /usr/local"?

What is the benefit of specifying / using "/usr/local" when it is a default?
Or do I have to analyze the "configure" file supplied by source to make sure there is no "double dipping" as far as specifying the prefix?

I understand the "prefix" is not only used by /usr .

In my case I would like to make another folders to identify different versions of the package - such as "prefix =/usr/local/BLUEZ-5.50"
Perhaps I am going to make it too complicated....

Perhaps I am going to make it too complicated....

No more complicated than Linux is already, I suspect ... the choices are so many o_O

I took your quote from How To Geek and pasted it into a Google search, and amongst other entries came up with this

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/30/where-should-i-put-software-i-compile-myself

... which I find made for interesting reading. It is 8 years and 7 months old (the reference 3 years ago was discrete and of little value), but is still relevant today, I feel.

Looking around some of the 80 Linux I run, through File Manager, a number of the Distros use /opt for placing some apps - Deepin for example have Wine, Samsung and Kingsoft (their makers of WPS Office Suite).

Linux Mint Debian Edition 'Cindy' actually have a Firefox there.

I have my personal scripts in /usr/local/bin.

There is a valid argument for placing self-compiled material in /home/user/ to allow easy access, and to "take" it with you if you change Distros.

Cheers

Wizard

Thanks for the link.
It reminds me of the joke - how many options do two people have?
In digital environment - four yes / no combinations , in real l life add "maybe" to choices.

Ever since I first used Linux I have been struggling with the basic concept of Linux folders.
I got too used to DOS concept based on hardware instead of software.
Anyway putting locally complied stuff under /usr/local is logical, what I am questioning is that the "configure" I am using saves the "package" in "/usr" as default.

Maybe I am just reading it wrong, but if something is a default already - why is the "prefix=/usr" specified in options?

I understand ... don't know the answer ... but I understand :)

If you take any given command, across most of the Linux Distros and type in "man your_command", you will find a manual, as I expect you well know.

At the end of nearly every manual I see, there are details on authors of that command, bug reporting options, quite often an email address.

Four and a half years ago, I wrote for my own use a bash script that semi-automated the processes on Debian-based Distros, of update, upgrade, dist-upgrade and autoremove.

I was another Forum (where, ultimately I was banned for freedom of speech and free-thinking issues) and published my script content.It caused all sorts of fur to fly with people arguing whether or not I was bypassing sudo and compromising security.

So from

Code:
man sudo

... I established that Todd C. Miller maintains it and has done for 25 years, tracked down an email address for him, and asked him was it OK.

Brief answer is he said "Yes" emphatically.

I reported back to my Forum, and ended the controversy.

Point being that your question, a valid question, might be answered or addressed if you are interested, by approaching one of the Linux maintainers. In my case with Todd, he was very approachable and responded within hours.

(And if you find an answer, bring it back and share it with us :D)

Cheers

Wizard

Gosh, I did same and send e-mail as posted in bluez README.
Got NO reply!.

As far as I can tell www.bluez.org is of no help , "they" - whoever they are , just keep updating the package due to "bugs".
I actually suspect the www.bluez.org is NOT the right place where one should seek the "bluez" source code.

As far as getting kicked out from forums - been there.
In my opinion technical forums exists to promote product and make $ for owners.
Anybody who is naive and not buy into this - I have a bridge to sell....

There is no technical forum one can openly express opinions about most of the "forums" without being flamed or eventually kicked out. The "administrators" are ordained by God itself and untouchable by us normal beings.

I have no issues when participants do not have the knowledge, ok small issue , but object to being taught how to "mid your t's and i's " , rated on how "valuable" my post is, and otherwise becoming statistic - "you have posted this here ... here ...and here ".

Sorry for the rant /vent.
Hope this forum is different, only future will tell.

Hope this forum is different, only future will tell.

Take us one day at a time. I hope that mounts up to a lot of days. Brian and I are coming up on 730 days on 1st May next, and it has been a breath of fresh air here compared to t'other place. :)

When we joined (albeit a week after a re-org which saw Members have to renew), the numbers were 4,600 or so - now close to 24,000 . I am guessing we are doing something right, and am hopeful we continue to do so.

Cheers and Avagudweegend

Wizard - ordained by @Rob (don't think he has any God complexes)

Members online