Linux Server - delay finding PC from network

B

Bassmann

Hi there,

I've setup a Linux Server running Debian 8.2 on a spare PC at home.

I can access the server and shares from other PC's (e.g. Windows) but find I have 1 issue. When I first boot a client machine (say windows) and click on a server share, the first time is delayed. After it has connected every time after that is great. Occasionally it fails to connect, but if i retry it eventually does. Once connected its great.

Is there something I need to enable on the Debian Server. I've been googling for answers but don't know enough about server environments to know which way to go. Here's some thoughts.
- All machines on the LAN are setup as a workgroup rather than Domain. Would I benefit by configuring the Server as a domain controller or is this overdone for few devices that connect to it?
- I've setup my server shares with Samba and I can access these from a client machine so I figure that's working.
- All devices have static IP and are on the same subset, same gateway etc
- Is there I should turn on the server? e.g. Wins Server? Is there some sort of server broadcast function. Something else.

Any tips on what I should look at appreciated.

Bassmann

The last time I saw an issue similar to this the reason was due to the client system not having the route to the server in its cache and it had to get more information from the gateway. The gateway was acting up at the time however. I can't think of anything that would cause your symptoms from the Debian server's point of view.

Maybe this will help.

Since Windows 7, network connections are not established when you boot / log on; they are remembered as connections with cached credentials only. The first time you access a network share, the "remembered" connection and credentials are then passed through, processed, and established.

When I log on to my work machine (Windows 7), I have a "home drive" L:. I cannot get to it from the command line first - since typing "L: <return>" from CMD does not pass credentials. I have to first access the drive from the Windows Explorer (just click on the L drive), which establishes the connection with the cached credentials, then it is accessible from CMD or a Cygwin BASH session. That first click - even from in the office - takes two to three seconds as credentials are passed and validated, etc.

Given that, it seems "normal" that the first access to a network share from Windows 7 or above would take a few seconds. It should not time out, unless you have a timeout setting somewhere that forces you to re-try.

I'm not sure how you have this set up; however, even Samba would need to validate / establish on the first try.

It does seem like something is not right, as it should not time out, and should not be a lengthy process in a small / closed network.

Just an update. The problem seems to be gone now due to the change I've made below.

My Windows client is running Windows 10 Pro and whilst experiencing the issues discussed above, I had my server references in the clients hosts file. I checked these again and found the server references were commented out (i.e. with '#' prefix). I removed the comment (with admin rights), saved, rebooted only to find the comments were back.

I then added the server same server references to the lmhosts file (saved rebooted etc) and found my problem is gone.

Just thought I'd post in case this helps others.

Bassmann

Members online