Linux really slow on external Monitor when laptop lid closed

Max Kofler

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I have a problem:

When I connect a external Monitor to my Razer Blade with Nvidia GPU (RTX 2060) and close the lid, linux begins to stutter extremely.
I found out that this has to be a multi-distro-problem because I tried it on Ubuntu and Manjaro KDE.

Does anyone know a solution to this?
Thanks for your help

I'm not a laptop user so I may be wrong in my suggestion.

I'd go into the power settings and display settings and look at there configuration.

Disable low power saving mode when lid is closed and any other settings that would place the computer in a low power state or power saving mode when lid is closed.

You may also have to go into the bios and disable the laptop display since using an external monitor.

My neighbor uses a large external monitor with on a laptop running Ubuntu 20.04 and had to disable the laptop monitor in the bios for it to work properly.

I'm still thinking it may be a power management setting or how the display(s) are configured.

Some laptop graphics adapters may not have the power to run multiple monitors regardless of it having an external graphics port.

When your laptop's lid is closed, it's probably not venting heat properly. It's designed to be used open and the surfaces dissipate heat. It may be thermal throttling related. Check the heat sensors.

Hm, its funny tough, because when I am on Windows (shame on me :-( ), everything works fine and I have a setup with additional ventilation, temps are lower then normal, so that is not te problem

Staff online

Members online