Linux Popularity vs Windows

What's a cooperative LLC?

A cooperative is more or less an umbrella company. I'll use Image Comics as an example. They're a comic book company, but their comics are produced and owned by various studios who are all independent from each other.

What I'd like to see is a software company that does the same thing.

I'm Ok with the co-op bit , they sell expensive ready meals in the U.K and the like but "LLC" what does that stand for Limited Liability Company or ..

A cooperative is more or less an umbrella company. I'll use Image Comics as an example. They're a comic book company, but their comics are produced and owned by various studios who are all independent from each other.

What I'd like to see is a software company that does the same thing.
I see what you mean now I think. It's kind of like with game studios, companies that develop it and then companies that release/produce it? The problem with that is that the producing/releasing party might get too much control or how would you see that working?

As I said last time this topic was broached,
Do you have a smart TV, a satellite/terrestrial decoder, a home security system , a smart Fridge or washing machine, a modern car, the list go on... most of these products have CPU's running stripped down Linux core programs.. billions of them world wide

captain-sensible said:
but "LLC" what does that stand for Limited Liability Company or ..

Yes it does. I should've excluded that part, but I wasn't sure what to call the company at that time.

I see what you mean now I think. It's kind of like with game studios, companies that develop it and then companies that release/produce it? The problem with that is that the producing/releasing party might get too much control or how would you see that working?

The Image founders made a provision from the get-go that it wouldn't own anything except the trademark, because they felt owning the characters would give them too much editorial control. By using that approach to a software cooperative, each development team could do whatever they wanted with their operating systems, games, software, etc.

I left Windows when Vista came out and been using Linux as my desktop ever since it does everything I need it to do

I left Windows when Vista came out and been using Linux as my desktop ever since it does everything I need it to do

That reminds me of a video DistroTube made about Linux being widely adopted, and one thing he mentioned was Ubuntu could've had it's moment during the Vista years, but for whatever reason (I don't remember what the cause was), it never gained adoption by non-Linux users, and still hasn't

Can you give a few examples of how GNU/Linux doesn't work for all your personal use cases as a desktop just out of interest to see how it differs from me?

I've been using GNU/Linux for about 11-12 years and when, I dual-booted shortly and shortly after I wiped my Windows partition only ran GNU/Linux as my daily driver for my desktop while I was still learning and it also helped me learn. Eventually I understood how everything work and I even ran the few games I played on GNU/Linux back than using Wine/Crossover and Steam, I enjoyed myself and I made it work and just love working with GNU/Linux. It will be interesting to see what happens to GNU/Linux gaming once the Steam Deck arrives.

I'm subscribed to the linux_gaming subreddit and I daily see threads where people are switching to GNU/Linux for gaming and ask for advice about gaming on GNU/Linux so I have I hopes. On the other hand I could care less about mass adoption of GNU/Linux because I think people should use what they prefer as long as long as they know there are more options available. If someone shows true interest and are is willing to learn I'll help where I can and if not that's okay as well. I recently had a friend who had some laptop issues with Windows, I spend quite a few hours trying to help him fix the problems he was having. It made me want to throw his laptop out the Window so I'm glad I don't have to deal with that on a daily basis and it makes me appreciate GNU/Linux even more for having control choice, freedom and choice.

As for so much choice it had it's advantages and disadvantages, Redhat pulled(half-way) the plug on CentOS and more more 3 RHEL clones were created. I see that as an advantage, as for too much choice I can see how that is a disadvantage for mass adoption because it confuses newcomers. I'm currently running a distribution someone recommended to me two years ago and I really love the distribution. If that distribution were to disappear over night I could easily switch over to any other distribution the next day.

The problem I see a lot is that newcomers to GNU/Linux approach GNU/Linux as Windows and expect it to work like Windows and are not open to learning a new OS/distribution with the hundreds of different distributions that can be scary coming from a system where mostly everything is dictated for you to have more choice than you know what to do with. So maybe he GNU/Linux community and anyone interested in GNU/Linux should meet each other halfway?

The GNU/Linux community should work more on a way for people to more easily learn how GNU/Linux works and focus more on helping people understand the GNU/Linux system instead of focusing on learning "a distribution" Then new people who want to start using GNU/Linux should be more open to accept that GNU/Linux != Windows and they should be more open to putting some effort into wanting to learn instead of just expecting to be able to just switch from one to the other and expecting not to run into learning bumps and frustrations that come with that.

I game a little, but not all that much. If I do, it's usually around specific games or types of games. DOOM, the new Baldar's Gate 3, and a few other games I've played. (D&D, that isn't a software issue)

Most of my software related issues are around my hobbies or work related software. For instance, I'm an avid Astronomer and Astrophotography. While there is astronomy related software for Linux. Many that I use, do not function or work in Linux. Sometimes you can install Wine or other emulation software to help get them working, but for the most part. Trouble-free usage is a no-dice situation.

I'm also a ham radio operator and again. There is a lot of software that runs on Linux, but again. My preferred software has issues running under Windows emulator's. (Ham Radio Deluxe)

I also tinker in electronics building / repairing power supplies, guitar amplifiers, guitars, and refurbishing old tube radios or test equipment. I also design and build other small electronic things. LTSpice (circuit simulation software) runs fine in Linux on Wine sometimes and sometimes not. DipTrace (my preferred circuit designing software) actually runs decently under Wine *most* of the time too.

I do a lot of programming too, but I either use Vim (in Linux over ssh) or I use JetBrains IDEs which run in both Windows and Linux. So those aren't an issue.

For the longest time, work wasn't a real issue and I just kept a Windows virtual machine around, but since moving into Executive Management. Now I require a lot more business related tools. Microsoft Office suite (yeah, Libre Office is good in a pinch, but compatibilities issues between MS Office and Libre is very problematic) I have the Adobe Suite for Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator. Finally, I have BI apps and other business related software that isn't supported under Linux that I have to have on hand.

As I noted in my original post. I'm to the point that I just want something to work these days. I work pretty long hours and have a 50 minute commute each way. I've been someone who lived on the edge and had the willingness to fix things. Today, I reserve fixing stuff to my hobbies. Linux isn't so much a hobby anymore for me. It's attached to me as my right hand. For a server, I have no problems with it. I don't want my right hand having troubles while I'm trying to work.

...and that is why I don't use it on the desktop anymore.
Dave

Last edited:
I game a little, but not all that much. If I do, it's usually around specific games or types of games. DOOM, the new Baldar's Gate 3, and a few other games I've played. (D&D, that isn't a software issue)

Most of my software related issues are around my hobbies or work related software. For instance, I'm an avid Astronomer and Astrophotography. While there is astronomy related software for Linux. Many that I use, do not function or work in Linux. Sometimes you can install Wine or other emulation software to help get them working, but for the most part. Trouble-free usage is a no-dice situation.

I'm also a ham radio operator and again. There is a lot of software that runs on Linux, but again. My preferred software has issues running under Windows emulator's. (Ham Radio Deluxe)

I also tinker in electronics building / repairing power supplies, guitar amplifiers, guitars, and refurbishing old tube radios or test equipment. I also design and build other small electronic things. LTSpice (circuit simulation software) runs fine in Linux on Wine sometimes and sometimes not. DipTrace (my preferred circuit designing software) actually runs decently under Wine *most* of the time too.

I do a lot of programming too, but I either use Vim (in Linux over ssh) or I use JetBrains IDEs which run in both Windows and Linux. So those aren't an issue.

For the longest time, work wasn't a real issue and I just kept a Windows virtual machine around, but since moving into Executive Management. Now I require a lot more business related tools. Microsoft Office suite (yeah, Libre Office is good in a pinch, but compatibilities issues between MS Office and Libre is very problematic) I have the Adobe Suite for Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator. Finally, I have BI apps and other business related software that isn't supported under Linux that I have to have on hand.

As I noted in my original post. I'm to the point that I just want something to work these days. I work pretty long hours and have a 50 minute commute each way. I've been someone who lived on the edge and had the willingness to fix things. Today, I reserve fixing stuff to my hobbies. Linux isn't so much a hobby anymore for me. It's attached to me as my right hand. For a server, I have no problems with it. I don't want my right hand having troubles while I'm trying to work.

...and that is why I don't use it on the desktop anymore.
Dave
I do not know if you know of this or not but since you like Ham Radio thought I would pass you this link - https://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/

what does the graph say to you ?

Nothing truly useful. Trends for searches can indicate all sorts of stuff, including Linux getting easier to use.

Since not long after Linux came out, a few percentage points of desktop users have chosen it. That's been pretty consistent.

If the graph indicates anything, it's that the mobile sector is quite popular. Without any accurate references about things like data compilation, it's a rather meaningless graphic.

I would personally love to see a future in that Linux is more widely adopted, in the workplace and home technological landscapes specifically.

My experience with and exposure to Windows is limited at best, and thus so is my opinion about it, but what I have seen and used, I have not really enjoyed very much at all.

I would personally love to see a future in that Linux is more widely adopted, in the workplace and home technological landscapes specifically.

It has gotten widely adopted in some regard, as there are a few companies and organizations who use it on top of individuals like you and I. The problem with getting EVERYONE to adopt it is it wasn't necessarily made with that kind of goal in mind. Yes, the goal is to promote and protect digital rights and freedoms of everyone, but as someone who's simply existed within Linux for 10 years (because I don't care about all of these package managers, desktop environments, distros, or constantly having to troubleshoot it), I can tell you right now that the average computer user (which is always a Windows user) would struggle with it, hate it, or both. Two of the biggest problems behind that are there being too many chefs in the kitchen, and Linux having a steep learning curve. This is why after I get a new tablet, I'm moving onto an ungoogled Android variant.

linux will never be fully adopted.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It has gotten widely adopted in some regard, as there are a few companies and organizations who use it on top of individuals like you and I. The problem with getting EVERYONE to adopt it is it wasn't necessarily made with that kind of goal in mind. Yes, the goal is to promote and protect digital rights and freedoms of everyone, but as someone who's simply existed within Linux for 10 years (because I don't care about all of these package managers, desktop environments, distros, or constantly having to troubleshoot it), I can tell you right now that the average computer user (which is always a Windows user) would struggle with it, hate it, or both. Two of the biggest problems behind that are there being too many chefs in the kitchen, and Linux having a steep learning curve. This is why after I get a new tablet, I'm moving onto an ungoogled Android variant.

View attachment 9886
Your perspective is refreshing and enlightening, and I appreciate it, it is hard for me to extrapolate my experiences because Linux is all that I have ever really used and known for the most part.

About the learning curve, I can definitely concur on that, at least going by what I have heard and read, although I think that a fair share of distributions are slowly overcoming this issue as time goes on.

I think that with each passing year, the experience of Linux on Desktop PC's becomes more user-friendly and manageable, I only hope that this helps to encourage a(n even) wider adoption of Linux.

Your perspective is refreshing and enlightening, and I appreciate it, it is hard for me to extrapolate my experiences because Linux is all that I have ever really used and known for the most part.

About the learning curve, I can definitely concur on that, at least going by what I have heard and read, although I think that a fair share of distributions are slowly overcoming this issue as time goes on.

I think that with each passing year, the experience of Linux on Desktop PC's becomes more user-friendly and manageable, I only hope that this helps to encourage a(n even) wider adoption of Linux.

While that's also true to some regard, Linux has been in non-pc or non-mobile devices, such as the Martian rover for example. I encourage it being used for those purposes instead, because that's where it works the best.

Members online

Latest posts