Linux partition not showing in windows

prakboi

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

info: linux arch

Dunno if im in the right section, but ill take my chances.

I bought a laptop from someone I know, the laptop itself came dual boot with linux and windows.
I know how to work in linux but i have no use for it right now, so Id like to delete it.

But when I access disk management, linux is not showing up.
He said he installed linux with a stick, apperently on my D: drive in windows.

I removed linux from boot, so its not starting anymore.

Does anyone know where linux is stored or how I can find out?
Or could it be installed just on the stick? It did boot up so seems unlikely to me

Apologies for my english, and in case you need more info let me know.
Thanks in advance!

G'day prakboi, welcome to linux.org

That sounds very much like a Windows question to me.

GParted should find it

I suspect your best choice will be to use Windows to make a backup disk, I believe Windows will do that by writing to a USB now. I would backup your important personal data onto another disk.

Then, boot to that USB and delete every partition, except one that says EFI or Recovery, and then just do a nice clean install of Windows in the remaining space, restore your data, and continue computing as normal with Windows.

It may also have a Recovery option. I mentioned it above. You can use that, by accessing it in the boot menu somewhere - it'll vary per OEM and BIOS used, to restore your computer to factory condition. In the midst of that, there's probably the option to delete partitions and reformat. Do that.

I don't know the details beyond that. I don't know much about modern Windows operating systems - but all the above are true, or likely true - depending on the previous owner. Anyhow, there will be a sticker affixed to the computer somewhere. It's a certificate of authenticity and it will have the numbers you need to reinstall your OS. Use that.

Ext2Fsd

Ext2Fsd is a Windows file system driver for the Ext2, Ext3, and Ext4 file systems. It allows Windows to read Linux file systems natively, providing access to the file system via a drive letter that any program can access.

You can have Ext2Fsd launch at every boot or only open it when you need it. While you can theoretically enable support for writing to Linux partitions, I personally haven’t tested this. I’d be worried about this option, myself—a lot can go wrong. Read-only support is fine, though, and doesn’t carry a risk of messing anything up.

The Ext2 Volume Manager application allows you to define mount points for your Linux partitions and change Ext2Fsd’s settings.

Members online