Linux parallel to windows 10

@captain-sensible @Liispeth

Greetings and Welcome, Liispeth, and hello Cap,

I understand someone called for the Old Geezer to trundle on in and get more egg on his face. LOL.
I have a fairly new HP Laptop with Win 10 on it.
Don't know if this will work for you or not, but you could give it a try.
According to your #5 post above, you do have UEFI enabled. Good.
Before you start up the cp, plug in the USB Stick with the LM iso on it. {I'm assuming it is Linux Mint 19.3}

Begin:
1-Start button.
2-Press and hold 'Escape' key. {Down at bottom left corner tells to press the 'esc' key}
3-Next window to show up gives several options F-1, F-2, F-9, F-10, F-11.
4-Choose F-9. 'Boot Device Options.'
5-Next window is 'Boot Manager'.
6-There will be several options.
7-Choose USB Hard Drive (UEFI) Name of your stick (mine was Centon)
8-Click on that choice.
9-Next screen should be 'Grub Menu' open with Linux Mint 19.3 on it.
10-Click on it and the LM screen should open.
11-You will see the LM logo in middle of black screen and panel at bottom, and install option on left side of screen.

From there you can either do the install or play with everything to see if they work.
Ordinary install is pretty straightforward. Just have to follow the directions on the screen.

Hope this helps.
In case it doesn't, let us know what did not work and we'll see what we can do.
Screenshots certainly do help a lot {which is probably why I did not show any. LOL}

Signing off for now, but I'll be watching.
Old Geezer
TC

You don’t have to disable secure boot to see the USB stick, or to install Linux; you neither had to change the boot mode to legacy: you just ha to make sure that the USB stick has a GPT partition table. MBR does not work with EFI as far as I know.

Also, don’t delete any of the EFI partitions or any partition you don’t recognise as Windows’, as you can break plenty of things like the manufacturer recovery software.

Secure boot will only make you sign some third party modules, and maybe use F12 instead of grub to avoid annoying Windows 10. We can elaborate on that later.

If it’s not too late, go back to defaults and try to create a USB stick with GPT partition table using Rufus

guten morgan @Liispeth

@gvisoc you might be right but is it helpful? . She was stuck but got to the stage of installing with a working usb and basically your saying saying stop and go and format the usb with gpt .

if she installs with secureure boot off, she leaves the EFI partition intact and at any stage of question during install opts for gpt would that be a problem? Also presumably once Mint or what ever she is installing is installed she should be able to go back and re-enable secure boot. Is this not the case ? if not please elaborate

@Liispeth i've had a look at your paritions and the 100MB EFI is best left intact its all part of how your PC works with uefi .

You have plenty of room for both Windows and Linux. Windows 10 needs circa 30 gig plus a bit. Unfortunately there are many approaches to installing Linux; each of us tends to have our own way of doing things and this of course can lead to overload of information and confusion.

Some people just go straight ahead and install. I tend to set up partitions and do any update of reading I might need. Some don't it my way but i'm not sure anybody can tell me its wrong or is going to be a problem to set up partitions first. If you did set up partitions it should be just a case of the install recognizing the partitions and you just agreeing to them.

I use slackware which does not work with uefi, so i'm a novice on it. Same really for grub since slackware still uses lilo and elilo boot loaders.

What i wanted @70 Tango Charlie to do was back me up , in you not rushing ahead. Here now is a point in case. I want to get a confirmation that you could go ahead as you started without it causing a problem. I think it wouldn't hurt to wait a few hours and get the answer.

what you can do in the meantime is googling how to do a defrag , about swap and shrinking windows partition maybe using gparted

if either @arochester or @gvisoc could come back on this :^)

where "this" is : is there any reason @Liispeth can't go ahead with the install she started yesterday with secure boot off; legacy enabled and a working usb stick that obviosly does not have a gpt table? what are the pit falls ?

Last edited:
@captain-sensible @Liispeth

Greetings and Welcome, Liispeth, and hello Cap,

I understand someone called for the Old Geezer to trundle on in and get more egg on his face. LOL.
I have a fairly new HP Laptop with Win 10 on it.
Don't know if this will work for you or not, but you could give it a try.
According to your #5 post above, you do have UEFI enabled. Good.
Before you start up the cp, plug in the USB Stick with the LM iso on it. {I'm assuming it is Linux Mint 19.3}

Begin:
1-Start button.
2-Press and hold 'Escape' key. {Down at bottom left corner tells to press the 'esc' key}
3-Next window to show up gives several options F-1, F-2, F-9, F-10, F-11.
4-Choose F-9. 'Boot Device Options.'
5-Next window is 'Boot Manager'.
6-There will be several options.
7-Choose USB Hard Drive (UEFI) Name of your stick (mine was Centon)
8-Click on that choice.
9-Next screen should be 'Grub Menu' open with Linux Mint 19.3 on it.
10-Click on it and the LM screen should open.
11-You will see the LM logo in middle of black screen and panel at bottom, and install option on left side of screen.

From there you can either do the install or play with everything to see if they work.
Ordinary install is pretty straightforward. Just have to follow the directions on the screen.

Hope this helps.
In case it doesn't, let us know what did not work and we'll see what we can do.
Screenshots certainly do help a lot {which is probably why I did not show any. LOL}

Signing off for now, but I'll be watching.
Old Geezer
TC
obviously that course i did "advanced diplomacy for Yorkshire men" was a waste of time when i left a subtle hint "... what did he say @70 Tango Charlie .something about rushing in.." another crate of beer Charlie. What did you learn on the course ? thanks for asking . Well we covered advanced topics like verbally acknowledging people with a "hello". usually we don't bother. trouble is when you think you've seen somebody head nod ever such a small movement, your not sure if it was an acknowledgment or they just stumbled on a pebble.!

Last edited:
guten morgan @Liispeth

@gvisoc you might be right but is it helpful? . She was stuck but got to the stage of installing with a working usb and basically your saying saying stop and go and format the usb with gpt .

if she installs with secureure boot off, she leaves the EFI partition intact and at any stage of question during install opts for gpt would that be a problem? Also presumably once Mint or what ever she is installing is installed she should be able to go back and re-enable secure boot. Is this not the case ? if not please elaborate
If she re-enables secure boot, all the third party modules will stop being loaded from the kernel. I’m not sure whether Mint or any other Ubuntu derívate would then react smartly and generate a MOK, sign the already installed but unsigned modules, and ask her to enroll it by entering a one time password and all that. Maybe her system just remains broken until she re-disables it again.

She may go ahead with a system without secure boot activated, but that makes her system vulnerable to malware at boot time.

Because maybe we still don’t have viruses, but oh yeah we do have malware.

It’s just that I don’t get why after so many years of Linux supporting EFI boot and Secure Boot, we keep telling people to deactivate them. It only takes to create a GPT partition table and be aware of the signatures, MOK and etc.

I’m moving home tomorrow, but as soon as possible I’ll write a post (some links + glue to make sense) on how all that works. What does imply to have Secure Boot activated, what it gives and what it takes.

Hi guys,
so gvisocs suggestion to use Rufus to create a bootable USB-Stick was really good, because in Rufus I could choose between GPT or MBR partition scheme. I checked out my partitions and they are "formated" (I don't know if that is the correct term) in GPT.
So all I had to do was create a new bootable USB-stick (which took about 10 min) and leave all the settings in the boot menu as they are.
And after that I was able to boot LM from the USB-Stick and istall it onto the computer. But when I installed Linux Mint the program it elf had to diable secure boot in order to install everything.

Thank you all, you are a great community!
I am still looking forward to your explanation gvisocs.

That’s odd coming from a Ubuntu derivate... it should had offered you the signing option.

I’ll elaborate as soon as I put all back together, I’m waiting for the truck with all my stuff...

Hi there, it's me again.
I am quite puzzled - since my last post I have installed Linux on two other laptops. Everything went fine. Now it is again not working and I have no clue why...
The Laptop is an Asus UM433I with windows 10 pro installed.
The bootable USB was created once with Rufus and once with balena etcher. I get into the boot menu and can choose linuxmint partition, but then following error messages occur:

LinuxFehlermeldung1.jpg

LinuxFehlermeldung2.jpg

Hope to hear from you soon!
Liis

Linux is still not running on my laptop...one more thing I forgott to mention: I am using Windows Pro - could this be the challenge?

I'm super sorry for not having replied before. No excuses other than not realising this thread was hanging.

What flavour of Windows shouldn't be a difference. What can make a difference is the boot configuration of your laptop in the BIOS / EFI.

These are different per laptop, so I can't tell you where the following is, or what the exact name would be. Try to locate the boot options on your BIOS / EFI and set the following, or something like the following, to off:
  1. Secure Boot -- some legacy secure boots won't work with Linux secure boot support (I have a 2017 MSI Motherboard with which if I leave secure boot on, I can't enroll my own Keys, or Debian's)
  2. OS Optimisations (if you find them), as this tweaks the boot sequence for Windows 8 (no more, no less) to boot quicker.
Try again. If it fails, then try to search for a legacy boot support option, and turn it on.

Hi!
Thanks for your reply gvisoc.
While installing Linux I can choose between different options. The normal mode is not working. So I tried to install Linux Mint with the the Linux Mint version in compatibility mode and the installation is working. But when I start my computer again it shows the same errors as before.

I disabled Security Boot as well as fast boot.

I just don't understand why it is not working.

Regards Liis

Members online