Linux parallel to windows 10

Liispeth

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there,

a few month ago I installed Linux on my computer. I was running windows 7. I love linux. Now I am trying to do the same installation on another laptop of mine. At the moment it has windows 10 on it.
I have an extra an free partition. In the BIOS I changed following settings:
Network Boot [Disabled]
f12 Boot Menu: [Enabled]
Boot Mode: [UEFI]
Secure Boot: [Enabled]

My data stick is bootale (it is the same I used a few month ago.
When I open the boot menu only my windows sytem is showing. The bootable data stick is not.
Please help!
Thank you!

My laptop is an acer aspire with intel core i3
4 GB DDR4 Memory
1000 GB HDD

Secure Boot: [Enabled]
you changed it from this, or, is this the current setting ? if it is it won't let you boot up usb stick.
you need to have secure boot disabled

It was the current setting. I changed it once into disabled, but it is still not working...any other ideas?

The laptop i'm on now had windows 10 on it ; onto which i installed slackware.

I disabled secure boot and enabled legacy, i then made sure on boot list that usb was on it; you could put boot usb first, but if like me you forget and leave in a usb with no .iso on it , it can give minor trouble. Whats your options on sub menu boot mode ?

I also did everything recommended in the other post today:
1) Disable Secure boot
2) Enable UEFI, do not use CSM or Legacy
3) Set SATA to AHCI, do not use RST or any hardware-based "fake" RAID
But the USB-Stick is still not shown

well lets try disable secure boot and enable legacy boot mode and see ?

I can switch between UEFI or Legacy
When I change to Boot Mode to Legacy, following window pops up:
Microsoft recommends executing Windows 8 and the version above under UEFI boot mode to enjoy the full features

USB HDD: USB Disk 2.0 in list thats your usb...so its working then

yeah thats very clever of Microsoft; but if you close window and carry on ..

It is working, yes.
But know that I am installing linux mint the program gives me the following message:
Unmount active partition?
/dev/sdb
Do you want the installation program to try to unmount the partitions on these disks before proceeding?
If you leave them mounted, you will not be able to create, delete or resize partitions on these disks, but you can install on existing partitions.

what happened to post with list showing boot options ? and where you started ...its booting from usb but i don't understand, because it makes it harder to de-cipher and help .i'm a bit old school but i like to take my time and "take stock" . I booted Mint 19.* xfce and it quite happily ran; yes there is the "install" icon but you don't have to click it. ..

Last edited:
mmm... i'm now going "leg pulling mode " ..have you heard of poirot ... the French Policeman "yes detective .. there was a blood stained candle stick" .. but i didn't think it was important..

suppose others jump in and now don't see that you Did get to point of having usb stick listed as a boot option; then the fact that it did start to boot ? You have removed my
supercilious option of telling others ..that they were wrong ...my Military uniform of calm is just a facade hiding a massive ego you know...

now a little respite from my dry humor, you can go ahead ..but ..wheres @70 Tango Charlie when i need him; what did he say ..something about rushing in ..maybe wiping the 100MB EFI partition you haven't shown me i na screen shot ..you don't need to say sorry i'm leg pulling, its an old English addiction. Ok there are some differences between Windows 7 PC and Windows 10. Hold up for a second : this is my notes to myself because i forget : https://linux.org/threads/windows-to-linux-mbr-uefi-boot-manager-and-other-stuff.28490/post-88816

ideally you would use live OS, give us screen shot of partitons

Last edited:
What should I be confident about? I can make a screenshot of my partitions...

partition.jpg

Members online

Latest posts