Linux OX

DPAREEK

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I am new to Linux , Sick of Windows. I got a old acer Laptop with this configuration 160GB HDD,1.5GHz 667 MHZ FSB,2 MB L2 CACHE2GB DDR2 , Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5250 -Centrino. Can someone suggest me what Linux OS best for this machine for stable operation.

thanks for your reply : there are 17 which one you recommend

Linux is like cars. There's so many to choose from and which one you should get depends on your tastes and needs. The distro itself is like the engine of the car. For many people the engine isn't that important as long as it has enough power. As you get more familiar with Linux you're going to find that what's more important is the part of the car that you can see, the desktop. You can pretty much install any desktop you want on any Linux distro you pick. KDE on Puppy is going to look and act pretty much the same as KDE on Ubuntu or on Fedora. Also unlike Windows, Linux is free and you have no contracts with it. Don't like the desktop you picked, install another one or three. Don't like the distro? Pick another and start over. So just read the descriptions of those 17 and pick the one that sounds more to your liking and start there.

If you ask 10 Linux users what's their favorite distro, you'll likely get at least 8 different answers.

Oh and one other thing. If you want to do a major upgrade to your old computer, on the cheap, buy an SSD drive and a SATA 3 card. You can get them for together for as low as $30 and it'll feel like a whole new computer. I used an old core duo with 2 gigs of RAM up until last year by doing that. It wasn't my main computer, but I could do anything I needed on it, using Kubuntu (KDE desktop on Ubuntu) and it felt like a modern computer.

Last edited:
thanks so much for your detail and explanation
i will do the research from 17 and pick one.
Thanks

One more thing. You can install Linux onto a pen drive, which you'll pretty much need to do in order to install it, and just run it from the pen drive for a while and see how you like it. Don't like it, don't install it to your hard drive, just overwrite it with a different distro. Do that till you find the one you like. You can just start with the first one on the list at that website, then go to number 2, then 3, etc. Once you find one you like, install it to the hard drive. And again, if you decide a month after that, that you don't like it, overwrite it with a different distro.

I suggest you take a look at this link:

Yes, thank you for the great link! I'll use it to decide. I also have an even older dell, I've been thinking of install Linux on for the kids.
thanks again
jjconstr

if you are new to linux, a simple google of which beginner linux distro would give you more than enough to choose from. pretty much a light distro would do for most older PCs.

I like the car analogy and just as with cars you can lean towards being a "driver" you use it but don't understand the physics of combustion or you can lean to be a mechanic /engineer where you want to drive but also go a bit deeper maybe understanding in levels of degree how things work

Attachments

• ventoy2.jpg
    ventoy2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 375
probably two ways to explore distro:

1) play live : https://distrotest.net/

2) put onto usb stick.

for usb stick currentlyi like ventoy . if you look at image i just dropped and dragged 3 iso onto stick (after ventoy formating) on boot of usb stick splash gives me choice of booting of any of three

windows version:
Thanks for your reply. I look into ventoy. It sounds like it is helpful.

jjconstr

Members online

Latest posts