Linux.org is sticking with CentOS

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Credits
After the announcement of IBM acquiring Red Hat, there has been a lot of fear and uncertainty within the Linux community about whether to drop ties with RHEL / CentOS / Fedora or not. This is expected, and i'm sure IBM and the higher-ups at Red Hat knew the announcement would shake some people up.

I've been using Red Hat since the mid 90s personally and professionally and am astonished of what they've accomplished over the years. You need to believe that the folks at Red Hat wouldn't throw that all away for a big payday and that they believe in what IBM is trying to do here. There's just too much at stake.

We here at Linux.org believe in Red Hat, CentOS and Fedora - and for those reasons we're sticking with CentOS as our OS.

Give it a chance - imagine what can be accomplished with the power of a company like IBM behind the wheel.

That being said, i'm not knocking the other Linux server distributions out there. I've used all of them over the years and each one has their pros and cons. It ends up being your own choice on what to use. I've always been drawn to the RH side of things and see no reason to switch it up now.

More info on the acquisition:
https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/ibm-acquire-red-hat-completely-changing-cloud-landscape-and-becoming-world’s-1-hybrid-cloud-provider

Attachments

• centos.png
    centos.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 974
Last edited:

Brian (@Condobloke ) brought this to my attention a couple of days ago, on the acquisition.

At the IBM site https://newsroom.ibm.com/2018-10-28...e-And-Becoming-Worlds-1-Hybrid-Cloud-Provider

... there are 4 little icons to the right, the first of which allows you to download and save a PDF, which I have done.

It is extraordinarily interesting, in my view and I see a lot of potential for advancing Linux.

@Rob if discussion on this is generated, where would we be best placed to host a Thread?

Wizard

We can put it anywhere - on this thread is fine.

Here, i'll start.. :)

I've used Red Hat based options for 20 years.. others as well, but mostly RHEL/CentOS professionally.. in my current work environment, we've switched all RHEL machines to CentOS since we don't need the extra requirement of Red Hat support.

Personally, i've used most distributions.. here on Linux.org, i've chosen CentOS.. haven't needed the commercial support of RHEL..

If you have the right staff, you're good. I'm hoping RHEL support will remain stellar for the companies that need/require it, and i'm sure if there ARE any changes, it won't be for years.

Anyway - I'm ordering some Fedora/RHEL stickers for my laptop this week to support them. :)

Edit: For those wondering if IBM has the balls to hang with the Linux community, look up the war they had with SCO years ago in which their lawyers saved our ass.
link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_Group,_Inc._v._International_Business_Machines_Corp.

Phew! Just got through reading your link. :confused: Thanks for sharing.

Can't say as I understand the technical side, but I remember considering Caldera when I was scoping out different Linux such as Mandrake, SUSE and others in 2002 - 2003, although I did not end up getting involved until 2010.

SCO I won't badmouth (or they'll sue, lol) other than to say they have an interesting grasp of mathematics for dozens of lines of code to become hundreds, then thousands, then a million. :eek:

I like Linus Torvalds colourful comments - he adds such a splash of colour to our Linux world.

Cheers

Wizard

Don't get me started, my head is still in The Cloud

b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

Fingers crossed. IBM has a long history of getting into software, then either selling it off, making a mess of it, or just bailing out. For example: OS/2, Signature (formerly XyWrite), ViaVoice, Symphony (both the original and the rebranded branch of OpenOffice), and probably others. As a result, I have a great deal of distrust for IBM when it comes to software, especially software they buy out. I hope they don't destroy or abandon another great project.

As a result, I have a great deal of distrust for...

was that ...Microsux?

Noted, @jda and welcome to linux.org :). We continue to fill out our ranks with 60's and 70's (I am 61) faster than you could say Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.

Interesting days ahead regarding "Big Blue", we'll see what pans out.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Fingers crossed. IBM has a long history of getting into software, then either selling it off, making a mess of it, or just bailing out. For example: OS/2, Signature (formerly XyWrite), ViaVoice, Symphony (both the original and the rebranded branch of OpenOffice), and probably others. As a result, I have a great deal of distrust for IBM when it comes to software, especially software they buy out. I hope they don't destroy or abandon another great project.

Yes, OS/2 was big and I loved using it. The problem here was OS/2 could run windows programs better than windows. I really was looking forward to working with this OS for years to come. Then M$ changed everything with 95 and IBM wasn't going to take the time or money to beat M$ at their own game thus the death of OS/2.

I know everyone is in IBM's and RH's court but I truly believe once RH loses it edge in the business world IBM will drop RH like all the others before it. In the beginning everyone stands behind the product. Only time will truly tell how much they stand behind it.

Yes, OS/2 was big and I loved using it. The problem here was OS/2 could run windows programs better than windows. I really was looking forward to working with this OS for years to come. Then M$ changed everything with 95 and IBM wasn't going to take the time or money to beat M$ at their own game thus the death of OS/2.

I know everyone is in IBM's and RH's court but I truly believe once RH loses it edge in the business world IBM will drop RH like all the others before it. In the beginning everyone stands behind the product. Only time will truly tell how much they stand behind it.

Okay sounds like we need to be ready when this happens. It will put RH back in the hands of the right people. Let the fun begin. I left DOS for windows because all business people wanted windows. What a big mistake, not again. When Big blue lets go it will be our chance to insure that Redhat stays alive and well. I sure there are people still using it.

When RH bought CentOS I was wondering why. But then it dawned on me why. CentOS was cutting into the server market of RH. I was wondering how long before CentOS became the bleeding edge that Fedora is and would cause problem for the companies using it for production. I'm still not 100% convinced that CentOS will remain the alternative DC server to RH.

That is extraordinarily interesting, Little Mouse. :) But yes, maybe a little hijacking, we'll see what Rob thinks.

I could see you making a Thread of that in General, titled something like "Windows going to bed with Linux?"

Can we establish that that article is still current?

The times, they are a-changing. M$ is already a Platinum Member of the Linux Foundation, what next?

Cheers

Chris

Latest posts