Linux on NEXTBOOK ?

V

Videodrome

So my neighbor that gives me occasional taps on the shoulder for tech support got one of these thing. Honestly, I often thought they looked a little flimsy, but when messing with one in person, I seriously wonder if this could be a nice lite weight alternative to my old Netbook.

Just wondered if anyone else has experience with these. Can Linux be installed with a bootable USB; maybe having to work around UEFI? Will the Touch Screen still work with Linux?

My HP Mini is still chugging along, but I might upgrade to something else. I also wondered if these new gadgets have a longer battery life.

Touch screen support is available with most distributions.
I have tested Ubuntu, Fedora, Manjaro, Arch, and OpenSUSE's touch support on a Lenovo All-in-one with success each time.

As for the Nextbook, I've never tried one myself but as long as Secureboot can be disabled I see no reason why Fedora or Ubuntu or Mint can't be installed. GNOME would be pretty nice on one of theose...

The attachable keyboard may be a problem however.

EDIT: It seems that the Nextbook comes with 32bit UEFI...which is a complete pain to use with Linux. It can be done but not without trial..
http://askubuntu.com/questions/392719/32-bit-uefi-boot-support

Touch screen support is available with most distributions.
I have tested Ubuntu, Fedora, Manjaro, Arch, and OpenSUSE's touch support on a Lenovo All-in-one with success each time.

As for the Nextbook, I've never tried one myself but as long as Secureboot can be disabled I see no reason why Fedora or Ubuntu or Mint can't be installed. GNOME would be pretty nice on one of theose...

The attachable keyboard may be a problem however.

EDIT: It seems that the Nextbook comes with 32bit UEFI...which is a complete pain to use with Linux. It can be done but not without trial..
http://askubuntu.com/questions/392719/32-bit-uefi-boot-support
Yep..... That's probably what's wrong with my UEFI..... :(

Members online

Latest posts