Linux on MacBook Pro 2019

g3enn3ex

Reaction score
Credits
Hey there,

is there any Linux distribution which does already support the hardware of the newer MacBook Models, especially the MacBook Pro 2019? Every Linux I booted on my MacBook didn't support keyboard, trackpad or Wifi. I connected a keyboard and mouse via USB, but that was still quite useless because then the WiFi still doesn't work.

So shortly: I need to know if there is a Linux distribution which supports keyboard, trackpad and wifi of the MacBooks of 2019.

Thank you!

Cheers

i've read people installing slackware on macbooks before. Stable slackware is very old but current might be worth a go. Now if you boot an OS from a usb stick i.e LIVE; its still using hardware so what you see using a live OS for a distro should give you a very good idea, what that os would be if it was installed.

Eric Hameleers has released live slackware based on slackware current so that might be worth a try? see https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/

i've read people installing slackware on macbooks before. Stable slackware is very old but current might be worth a go. Now if you boot an OS from a usb stick i.e LIVE; its still using hardware so what you see using a live OS for a distro should give you a very good idea, what that os would be if it was installed.

Eric Hameleers has released live slackware based on slackware current so that might be worth a try? see https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/

Thank you for the fast response. I'll try it and tell you if it works!

I've installed ubuntu and fedora on the older (non-touchbar) macbook pros and airs and it works pretty well - the only thing that was a pain was that it would eat through the battery quickly.

I'd give either of those a try as well as slack - just keep loading up usb sticks until you find something you like!

Allright

I can't tell if this slackware thing could work or not because the download stops after a while for no reason.

ubuntu and fedora

Ubuntu and fedora are at least both booting, but keyboard, trackpad and wifi doesn't work with any of them.

I have seen one or two posts, where they explain how to install the drivers for network or trackpad and keyboard. But i am a total noob in linux so doing all this stuff on my own is almost impossible for me. I just wanted a linux which works out of the box on my mac to explore it and get used to it. But it seems like i need a second Notebook or Desktop PC to use Linux.

Last edited:
this is the mirror for slackware live current http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/slackware-live/1.3.5/ both the 32 bit and 64 bit xfce Desktop are less then one gig. Use of a "download manager" would make sure there is continuity of download . if you then have windows you could use rufus to get it onto a stick https://rufus.ie/

it might be worth a little bit more of a try; my limited understanding on the hostory of Mac was that it used some sort of unix derivative. Slackware is described as probably the most unix like " of linux distro , so there is a good chance it might work.

i'm downloading 64 bit myself at 2.0MB sec it looks like total time about 6 minutes and my internet is rubbish

Last edited:
Thank you, that's what i was trying to download. I'll let it download now, let's see how long it takes. I started the download again, and it downloaded like 10 MB with 400 KB/s and it decreases continuously. Atm it's at 140 KB/s. Let's see

Well, thank you very much. But my only Problem is, that I am not able to download the .iso file. I know how to make a live USB-Stick etc.

But it's definitely a server Problem. I tried to download it via several browsers on different devices. The download rate just decreases continuously and stops after a few minutes completely.

But it's definitely a server Problem.

Agreed. mine was going to take 7h 21m at about 70 kb/sec. i cancelled.

0cd7RxV.gif

(wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

:)g'day @g3enn3ex and welcome

what country are you in?

chris turner
wizardfromoz

Hey there,

is there any Linux distribution which does already support the hardware of the newer MacBook Models, especially the MacBook Pro 2019? Every Linux I booted on my MacBook didn't support keyboard, trackpad or Wifi. I connected a keyboard and mouse via USB, but that was still quite useless because then the WiFi still doesn't work.

So shortly: I need to know if there is a Linux distribution which supports keyboard, trackpad and wifi of the MacBooks of 2019.

Thank you!

Cheers
Linux Mint 19. Hands down the best for Mac. Works flawlessly and will not give you any problems with your Mac. I use it on Macs from 2015-2020. I've tried dozens of linux distros. Make sure when you install Linux to select the box that says install third party drivers and software. This option will appear on one of the install screens as you are installing Linux.

did you try to install the drivers for it or you are just installing the distros out of the box and hope it works?

Linux Mint 19. Hands down the best for Mac. Works flawlessly and will not give you any problems with your Mac. I use it on Macs from 2015-2020. I've tried dozens of linux distros. Make sure when you install Linux to select the box that says install third party drivers and software. This option will appear on one of the install screens as you are installing Linux.

I've never installes third party software indeed ... i really don't know why. I'll try it and tell you if it worked. Thank you!

I remember why I didn't install third party drivers:

You need an Internet connection for downloading the third party software if i remember this step correctly. But without any drivers the wifi doesn't work. So ... I guess u can see the problem.

I don't know about a 2019 MacBook but when I installed Linux on a 2009 MacBook I had to adjust the keyboard layout via the selections dialog. I had to set it to something weird which, unfortunately, I cannot recall at this time. The odd thing was the keyboard worked fine when running from a "Live USB" but worked all 'crazy' when installed :/

Have you considered running Linux as a virtual machine under VMWare Fusion, Plesk, VirtualBox or other hypervisor. In the case of VMWare Fusion, all Macs launched in 2011 or later are supported except 2012 Mac Pro “Quad Core”. That puts VMWare on the hook for making the keyboard and trackpad work for any linux you install. Free trial is available at https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/fusion-evaluation.html

I have no relationship with VMWare, except I bought fusion a few years ago.

Members online