Linux on iMac reboots instead of shutdown

No solutions found thus far, still using the power switch…
cheers,
Eddy

I have seen issues periodically on fedora that causes the inability to restart and also to cause restart instead of shutdown. The problem is indeed ACPI related and has to be fixed in the kernel with an update. Which may never come if it is not a known reported bug.
The problem when I see it seems to come from the watchdog which is meant to reboot the system if it is locked up or experiences a severe problem. So the watchdog is most likely the culprit here.
what follows is my notes on this.

================ nmi watchdog ====================================

cat /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog ---- shows status, 1= on 0= off
sudo sysctl kernel.nmi_watchdog=x ---- replace x with 1 or 0, changes value til restart which will allow you to test if this is the issue

/etc/sysctl.conf enter line kernel.nmi_watchdog=x --- makes it permanent. Default is on

================ nmi watchdog ====================================

cat /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog ---- shows status, 1= on 0= off
sudo sysctl kernel.nmi_watchdog=x ---- replace x with 1 or 0, changes value til restart which will allow you to test if this is the issue

/etc/sysctl.conf enter line kernel.nmi_watchdog=x --- makes it permanent. Default is on
Just tried your idea, but it has no effect on my imac 2016. Still needed the power button as usual… Thanks anyway !
Cheers,
Eddy

Staff online

Latest posts