Linux on external SSD or HHD

Rieves

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, my device is in windows OS and I want to use an external SSD or HDD for linux OS. First I used a flash drive and it is so slow even in booting and planning on using external SSD or HDD if it is fast. Before buying external storage will external SSD or HDD will be fast?

Hi, my device is in windows OS and I want to use an external SSD or HDD for linux OS. First I used a flash drive and it is so slow even in booting and planning on using external SSD or HDD if it is fast. Before buying external storage will external SSD or HDD will be fast?
EXTRANAL SSD IS FAST COMPARE TO HDD

YES EXTERNAL IS SLOW
COMPARE TO INTERNAL

USE VERTUAL BOX FOR LINX IN WINDOWS
I tried virtual box but it doesn't support nested virtualization on my end because I want to use linux for development and I need virtualization inside it to run docker

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-20 124808.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 124808.png
    25 KB · Views: 225
  • Screenshot 2022-11-20 124901.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 124901.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Screenshot 2022-11-20 124944.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 124944.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Screenshot 2022-11-20 125032.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 125032.png
    34 KB · Views: 208
SSD's are always faster than HDD's. There is a reason why flash drives are slower than SSDs.
Parallelism, and how the controller makes use of it is the main factor. There usually isn't room for the 8-16 discrete NAND chips you'd find in an SSD. The controllers in USB stick usually aren't nearly as complex either, to efficiently make use of available parallelism.
Other factors that matter are the quality of the flash. Many USB sticks use cheaper flash which you have to read and write slower in order to avoid errors. USB drives don't have lots of over-provisioning to help keep clean blocks around. And USB 2.0 is limited to around 35 MB/s. And many SSDs come with a big RAM cache.
The main reason for these differences is price. There are some SSDs in a USB stick form factor, like the LaCie FastKey.
You can install GNU/Linux on external SSD without any issue and you won't notice any performance issues either. After the installation, you just have to select the drive from boot menu.

Make sure you use a USB 3.0 enclosure for the SSD

SSD's are always faster than HDD's. There is a reason why flash drives are slower than SSDs.

You can install GNU/Linux on external SSD without any issue and you won't notice any performance issues either. After the installation, you just have to select the drive from boot menu.
Thank you it help a lot

@Rieves ....you can safely pay attention to @Stellaris, what he has said is solid advice.

@avinashkumarhpp

The purpose of forums is for people to tell many people their problem, and for some of those people to give their solution. Other people who have the same problem can see how they can deal with it too.

We don't want people to go off in comers and solve problems in secret. That way, we don't learn.

If things are not done here, in public, there is always a suspicion of a scam. "Give me control of your computer..." "Give me $100, and I'll solve your problem..."

Please do it here, for free, or not at all.

@arochester :-

Couldn't agree more. All Linux forums will, by and large, be a knowledge base freely available to all. Even if you're not a member, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from reading the forums. You just can't post yourself or interact with others until you sign-up, that's all.

Many people passively participate from the sidelines for years.......what are commonly known as "lurkers"!

The whole point of any community is that members expect to help each other out. You give help/advice, and in turn you can receive help/advice. Especially when it becomes clear that any advice offered is not only freely given, but accurate, knowledgeable and useful.....and this advice should always be publicly visible so that all may benefit.....

.....not squirrelled-away in private chat-rooms. That's always a wee bit "suspicious"..!

Mike. :)

Many people passively participate from the sidelines for years.......what are commonly known as "lurkers"!

Oh, absolutely. If you can get 10% of your traffic to interact with the site, you're doing good (by most web metrics I've read). Heck, the average bounce rate is like 50% - people who visit a single page and then leave.

I want to share how I use Linux. I bought NVME ssd with USB 3.1 enclosure. I plug it to my laptop in USB 3.1 gen 2 port and get speed 2000mb/s. The Linux work perfectly and I even have no notable differences with OEM SSD. Check your laptops ports specification before buy enclosure. Mine is Orico

Staff online

Latest posts