• Important: We recently upgraded our forum software - please let us know if you run into any issues.

linux on chrombook but slightly different

hi so i currently own a chromebook and an external HDD. I am currently trying to install linux on the External HDD so that if i dont have it plugged in the only thing on the chromebook is chrome os, but if i plug the hard drive in it will automatically default to linux. Is this possible, and if so how would i go about doing it? Thanks much in advance

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Maybe yes, maybe no. I don't know a whole lot about chromebooks but I can give you some ideas.

However I am in Australia and have to go for the evening, back tomorrow someone else may have some good input, no doubt :)

Welcome to linux.org :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz ... that's DownUnder :rolleyes:

shipthepilot

One time i put a usb with ubuntu on the stick into a chromebook. It just booted to the login screen for chromebook. So i dont think it would work. But it does on windows :)

Shipthepilot

Condobloke

Change boot order on a Chromebook

Plug in your live Linux USB into the other USB port. Power on the Chromebook and press Ctrl + L to get to the BIOS screen. Press ESC when prompted and you will see 3 drives: the USB 3.0 drive, the live Linux USB drive (I am using Ubuntu) and the eMMC (the Chromebooks internal drive). Choose the live Linux USB drive.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter

xXNORDXx

I have a Samsung chrome book I was almost going to have a Linux powered chrome book by something I did involved a password I couldn't get past.

Members online

Latest posts