Linux on a rca android 10 viking tablet?

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits
is there a Linux distro that can replace the google software that is on a rca android 10 viking tablet??

Directly and exclusively? Probably not. There's 'termux' that you can look into. You can run a Linux while running Android. I've played with it on my phone.

Your tablet probably has a locked bootloader. Also, not many of us are into tablets -- based on responses to previous questions. So, if you manage to get Linux on there exclusively, you'll likely become our resident expert!

Unfortunately Termux will not work for me.
To use Termux successfully you will need to know at least basics about shell scripting.
What i am looking to do is get away from having to use google.

Some digging came up with this: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...iking-pro-rct6303w87dk-one-stop-shop.3325158/

But, that same digging led me to a number of people for whom this didn't work. It's also pretty involved and looks like it assumes you already know what you're doing. I'd read the warnings carefully before attempting it. Though it's not terribly expensive to replace it, you might as well save yourself the trip.

What i am looking to do is get away from having to use google.
@KGIII's link gives a lot of technical detail on how it MAY be possible to modify your tablet. But 51 pages is a big investment just to read through it all. ;) This article gives a brief summary to help you determine if you really want to go further. The most simple tablet solution, if you don't want Android, is to buy a non-Android tablet... iPad or Windows.

If you want to just get away from Google in general, there are a couple of similar articles (here and here) that offers some advice. I have reduced much of my Google relationship too, but I still use an Android phone, and there is no full escape from them. Almost every web page that you visit has Javascript code running Google Analytics on it... collecting all the data on you that it can. I run the NoScript add-on in Firefox to block many Javascripts that aren't needed, but it is tedious and takes a good bit of time to tweak it to accept the scripts that really are needed (like online banking).

Good luck!

Members online