Linux on a dvd player.

bogdanTNT

Reaction score
Credits
I am so new to linux I don’t anything.
Since dvd players are on their way out I thought that I can install linux to install steam and stream games (through ethernet since my dvd player has a port) from pc to tv without a 10m long hdmi cable.
Is it even possible to do that? I think I would have to chose a boot mode for the dvd player and I don’t think it can do that.
Please no hate for noobs

It is not likely. Does your DVD player even have a hard drive to install something to? What is the make and model of your player?

You can burn Linux to a CD-Rom or DVD. You could run a "live" distro from there.
This is basically the same thing as running from a USB drive. This is how we did it in the "old days".

If you got a distro that ran something like KODI, you could use it like a chromecast or Roku.
But you'll still need a computer (CPU) to run this. Most "smart TVs" that are new enough to have ethernet ports, already have a lot of the streaming services built in.

I think they only thing a CD-ROM/DVD setup would save you from is having to have a hard drive.

It is not likely. Does your DVD player even have a hard drive to install something to? What is the make and model of your player?
I have some lg bluray bd660. I don't think it has internal storage but I maybe there are linuxs that work from the usb drive, which it has

You can burn Linux to a CD-Rom or DVD. You could run a "live" distro from there.
This is basically the same thing as running from a USB drive. This is how we did it in the "old days".

If you got a distro that ran something like KODI, you could use it like a chromecast or Roku.
But you'll still need a computer (CPU) to run this. Most "smart TVs" that are new enough to have ethernet ports, already have a lot of the streaming services built in.

I think they only thing a CD-ROM/DVD setup would save you from is having to have a hard drive.

Can I also do it from a usb drive? My tv is smart but not that smart, it doesn't have wifi and like most streaming services other than yt, and in my house it's very hard and expensive to get cable to my room, or any room.

And since I already have the dvd player and a wifi card for usb I thought it would be nice to play game from my pc to the tv without a hdmi cable.

Members online