Linux not recognizing commands down via Windows

JDM

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to Linux and have been having the very limiting issue that ever command I do in the Windows user interface (moving files, copy and pasting, deleting files, etc.) does not get recognized within the Ubuntu terminal. This is preventing me, for example, from downloading files and moving them via Windows into a folder that Ubuntu's terminal can access.

I'm sure there's a very easy fix to this, but I for some reason can't seem to find it. Thanks for any help!

Josh

While booted into Ubuntu you should be able to move or copy any file from your Windows os to your file manager in Ubuntu.

If you want to download anything using the command-line in Ubuntu you have to use the wget command.
To move something you would use the move (mv) command-

This was a big help to me when I was new to Linux.

Hi, thanks for the further info!

The ability to move and copy files on Windows and have it be recognized with Ubuntu is, however, definitely not working and hasn't been working for months now. It's been incredibly limiting. Do you know of any issues that could be causing this?

No, I'm sorry I don't know what would be causing that to happen with Windows.

I haven't ran Windows in 9 years.

What version of Ubuntu are you running?

No, I'm sorry I don't know what would be causing that to happen with Windows.

I haven't ran Windows in 9 years.

What version of Ubuntu are you running?

Ah that sucks haha. I‘m running 19.04

Ubuntu 19.04 should be stable and up to date so I don't think Ubuntu is the problem.

Maybe try looking around in the Windows 10 forum.

This may help:

the usual way to do file transfers between a windows computer connected via a network where a Linux computer also is on the network , is by having Samba set up . But from what I can gather you have a dual boot on the same computer?

Staff online

Members online