Linux Newbie

CupcakeCutie

Reaction score
Credits
Hello fellow sudo-ers,

I am trying to make the switch to Linux, but for some reason my distribution won’t successfully install. I am trying Ubuntu 20.04 64-bit. I downloaded the .iso from Ubuntu themselves and used Rufus (MBR, FAT32, 8192 cluster size) to make a bootable USB. I inserted it into a USB 2.0 slot (I heard 3.0 has issues??) and every time I try to load up I always get...

[ 1.548673 ] initramfs unpacking failed: decoding failed

my systems specs are...

i5-10400 (non K)
RTX 2060
16GB RAM 2667 MHz
500GB Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD

I tried including everything I did and my build to help this go much quicker so hopefully it pays off. Haha!

Thank you for your time,
CupcakeCutie

I've read issues with RST being enabled and Ubuntu ;check bios and disable ,did you also check integrity of download checksum or sha equivalent. You can also try other distro from same stick if u use Ventoy.

G'day CupcakeCutie, Welcome to linux.org

Why 8192 cluster size ?

The default is usually 4096

Large cluster sizes can waste space and degrade performance. Every file you store will take up at least one cluster - even if you have 1 byte of actual data in it

G'day CupcakeCutie, Welcome to linux.org

Why 8192 cluster size ?

The default is usually 4096

Large cluster sizes can waste space and degrade performance. Every file you store will take up at least one cluster - even if you have 1 byte of actual data in it
It said default is 8192 and I read that cluster size makes no difference. So what gives?

I've read issues with RST being enabled and Ubuntu ;check bios and disable ,did you also check integrity of download checksum or sha equivalent. You can also try other distro from same stick if u use Ventoy.
Uh I have a Gigabyte Motherboard and BIOS and I don’t think I know how to change RST

Not saying this is the issue but worth a look Hit one of F keys, F2 ,F10 or other to get to Bios ; have a look if you can find mention of RAID mode / AHCI mode.

have you got Windows on there as well? Also are you willing to consider say Mint install or other

Not saying this is the issue but worth a look Hit one of F keys, F2 ,F10 or other to get to Bios ; have a look if you can find mention of RAID mode / AHCI mode.

have you got Windows on there as well? Also are you willing to consider say Mint install or other

Actually I was wanting to install Elementary OS because I like the look, but everyone said Ubuntu was much better and that with some applications I can recreate macOS. I don't think I have seen a RAID mode/AHCI mode. Is it possible it doesn't come with lower end motherboards?

Edit: Ah! The Del key is BIOS

on elementary web site it says :
The fast, open, and privacy-respecting replacement for Windows and macOS. I need a break from trying to understand "Dependency Injection" on Codeigniter4 so i will try and boot from ventoy in a minute

on elementary web site it says :
The fast, open, and privacy-respecting replacement for Windows and macOS. I need a break from trying to understand "Dependency Injection" on Codeigniter4 so i will try and boot from ventoy in a minute

Should I try Ventoy?

Edit: Ventoy properly gets me into Elementary OS, but then a blank screen when trying to boot up that ISO

Last edited:
im on Elementary live now latest stable . It reminds me of Simply Mephis in that it seems to be a pay as you go option. No terminal until i installed konsole which was free
kernel for stable version is 5.4.0-42-generic, which funnily is behind Slackware current

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-10-22 15.09.53.png
    Screenshot from 2020-10-22 15.09.53.png
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 278
  • Screenshot from 2020-10-22 15.12.59.png
    Screenshot from 2020-10-22 15.12.59.png
    668 KB · Views: 271
im on Elementary live now latest stable . It reminds me of Simply Mephis in that it seems to be a pay as you go option. No terminal until i installed konsole which was free
kernel for stable version is 5.4.0-42-generic, which funnily is behind Slackware current
I still get a black screen as of current. I do not know what to do.

once om konsole could install Gimp for free gimp

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-10-22 15.31.11.png
    Screenshot from 2020-10-22 15.31.11.png
    545.8 KB · Views: 248
Still on Elementary live -quite quick . what else do you have on HD ? i can't guess if you have prepared HD for room for Linux but its only time your using up if your willing to try other Distro. Its goingto be quicker if you try ventoy since you can boot from one of several. How many usb sticks do you have and what sizes ?

I have 2 x 16GB Lexar USB (one has windows and one has elementary os), but since there is Ventoy I guess I only need one

ok you will have to be a bit patient ; did you mention whats is exactly on your hard drive of your PC a laptop or tower?

This is what i have on a 16 gig stick :

ventoy
├── ISO
│ ├── antiX-19.3_x64-full.iso
│ ├── elementaryos-5.1-stable.20200814.iso
│ ├── linuxmint-19.3-xfce-64bit.iso
│ ├── linuxmint-20-cinnamon-64bit.iso
│ └── manjaro-xfce-20.1.1-201001-linux58.iso
├── persistence.dat
├── persistence2.dat
├── persistence3.dat
└── ventoy
└── ventoy.json
they all boot and work live. Some on boot come up ,with can't find; i ignore it and wait and they all boot up. The .dat files are for persistence and ventoy.json is basic config.

First go to ventoy and read as required. Windows version if you have Windows on your PC, i don't recall you mentioning that ? https://ventoy.net/en/index.html also at top of this site Jarret has done an intro on ventoy.

Members online