Linux mint21. Show all available kernels in grub at boot

((I will never use grub-customizer again in order to select which one to run.))
((Grub-customizer spells Trouble.))
Yup, I found that out myself the hard way! :D GC used to work up until kernel 5.14, after that it became a disaster. On top of that it wouldn't properly detect the installed operating systems. OS-Prober (when ran in terminal) detects them just fine but grub-customizer never did, so I removed it. I borrowed the grub.cfg file from my best friend (he does what grub-customizer does, only he does it manually without the program) and used his file as a template to learn what and how to change for the file to work with my system and installed kernels. If you know what you're doing, there's no problem or danger to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg, despite what its description inside reads. It took me 4 trials to make it work (viva Clonezilla :D ) but I eventually did it. Now I edit the file manually whenever it's necessary.

I am just playing catchup on this saga of Icelandic proportions LOL.
Icelandic proportions Indeed..LOL....!...Agreed !!!

I must admit to being unable to let go of this 'saga'

my pc turns on at approx 4am each morning.....and turns off around 8.30pm each night.

If I am going to spend that much time on it......I demand that it behave itself in a manner which is comfortable, and which it was designed to do.

Anything less is a pain in the butt.....and I will not suffer it gladly.

ok...rant over !....I get a bee in my bonnet when something does not work properly. I spent a large portion of my working life repairing small engines. They demanded perfection......if perfection was not forthcoming I did not get paid. My business would not have grown to the extent that it did. (my ex's profited...not so much me !!)
Linux may well be free.....but there is a 'price' attached. Whether each individual sees that price as being as bragging rights or some other intangible 'thing'...is up to them.....but eventually each of us attaches a level of importance to 'our' OS.
Some users use their OS to earn their living...in that case they can attach a $ value as well.

My 'level' of importance is sky high.....through the roof in fact.

Therefore, if something does not perform as expected/designed.....then I want to know why.....and how to alter that state to something that is acceptable to me.

I have added to the saga.....I wonder what the level after 'Icelandic' is ??!!

Goðafoss

If I want to see all Kernels in Linux Mint...I just Boot to the Grub Menu...select...Advanced Options and hit Enter...all Kernels are shown.
m1212.gif

I'm not running Mint 21...waiting for Mint 21.1 but the above works in Mint Cinnamon 20.3 VM.
m1213.gif

The point of the latter part of this exercise, was to boot to a particular kernel each and every time.....not to have to go to advanced options and select the kernel i want to use each and every time i either reboot or restart.

Advanced Options shows all Kernels...from there select another Kernel eg...from 5.4.0-131 back to...5.4.0-125 select it and hit Enter. Computer will boot to this Kernel (5.4.0-125)...open Update Manager...View...Linux Kernels...Continue...go to Remove Kernels...place a tick in box...5.4.0-131...remove tick from others you don't want removed...click...Apply.
m1203.gif

Re-Boot computer and run...
Code:
uname -r
You will see Kernel 5.4.0-125 and it will stay like this until you change it...there's another way to do this but the above is easy especially for beginners.
m1212.gif

Just as a scintillating matter of interest.....

A new kernel came along via update manager today....which I dutifully installed.

Interestingly the OS/system immediately moved the New kernel to the top of the heap and immediately booted to it, upon rebooting the system as asked at the end of the update procedure.

That state of affairs survives shutdowns and reboots.

Members online

Latest posts