Linux mint21. Show all available kernels in grub at boot

whilst we are comparing sizes :eek: here is a shot of my kernels
Screenshot from 2022-10-12 08-21-52.png

OK, Brian, the bit you quoted is problematic, you don't have a 90.

You would have to use touch or nano to make one, and then populate it with those 2 lines.

No need to, just let me run my updates tomorrow morning and I will be back with input.

Kick back and enjoy the evening.

I've been over to Endeavour forums to check that they know about the Timeshift GUI glitch and they did but I've given them an update, and next I have to draft up something for David G. and Chris Guiver that they can use for Lubuntu and Ubuntu, because the glitch will appear in Timeshift on their distros in a few days with the October point release.

Cheers

Wiz

ok....I'll be knackered if I know.

I have tried every different combination of grub and grub.d I can think of.....and all of ospreys suggestions as well.....which should work....they are being quoted from the manual etc etc

But....no change

I reinstalled grub this morning.
1665560408840.png

Time for a breather.....thank you all

This diabetic little brown dog needs to eat.

Could the way you call your updates make any difference? I don't use the mint updater, I use, sudo apt update && apt upgrade

I use that command from time to time....just for something to do......doesn't appear to make any difference.

I went to Software manager and typed in grub2.....and nothing is installed.

i went there again and type in grub ......and there are 4 installed

grub-efi-amd64 gr unified b'loader version 2 (efi-amd64 modules)

grub-efi-amd64-bin....ditto....version 2 (efi -amd64 version, signed)

grub-efi-amd64-signed (efi-amd64 signed)

grub-pc...gr unif b'loader, version 2 (pc.bios version) (I uninstalled this one....made NO difference at all)

grub-pc-bin gr unif b'loaded, vers 2 (pc/bios modules

How many instances of grub are there supposed to be ???!!!

tother nite my lappy showed 2 in the mint updater, but when i ran the terminal i go around 30

@Condobloke - I have to go on a road trip to Warwick shortly, back around my midday or 12:30pm my time (1:30 your time)

In the meantime, you could do a couple of things with your /etc/default/grub , update it, reboot and report back on any outcomes.

1. GRUB_DEFAULT=0

(this is the standard, as @osprey mentioned at #39)

2. With the line

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

try it with and without a # at the beginning, updating grub in between times. And a 3rd time (regrets) with no line at all.

With the line as you have it, it should be generating a blurb saying from what it is instructed by /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober , which is

"os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions. Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries."

Have you seen that blurb before?

3. Your #46 I will deal with a bit more later, but if you type in the last entry with

apt policy grub-pc-bin

see if it has a line referencing

/var/lib/dpkg/status

If you decide to take a look at that file, attach yourself to the end of a strong rope anchored to a solid object and wear a pith helmet, because it is a text file about 3MB in size and you might not come out alive otherwise.

4. If nothing productive, update-grub is a stub for a longer command

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

mentioned earlier by @dankobatina , and you could try that. There is a small chance the stub could be broken, but I would doubt that.

Back as soon as I can.

Wiz

1.grub default +0....Done
a) with grub def=0 ...... result=0
2. tried os prober with #...done
# in front of prober line result=0
((1 & 2 were tried as one operation)
Without the prober line...result=0
os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions. Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries."
I have never seen that blurb, anywhere.
End Q1. I have replaced GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false in its original position.
3. will try:apt policy grub-pc-bin
brian@brian-desktop:~$ apt policy grub-pc-bin
grub-pc-bin:
Installed: 2.06-2ubuntu7
Candidate: 2.06-2ubuntu7
Version table:

*** 2.06-2ubuntu7 500
500 http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ubuntu/archive jammy/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
brian@brian-desktop:~$

4. sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

brian@brian-desktop:~$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
[sudo] password for brian:
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub' <<<<...
.note the ' at the start and finish of the file name...is this 'usual' ?

?? Do you receive a similar output in your Vanessa ??

Last edited:
I am doing have done your answers in stages.....and used the post above to store my progress as I proceeded....it is immune to reboots.

Last edited:
Each time I reboot, I look for the presence of the other available kernel in advanced options of Grub (version 2.06)

The only kernel in advanced options is the kernel which is booted to. (5.15.0-46)

The latest kernel (5.15.0-50 does not show)

There was a third kernel, but I had preferences in update manager set to 'Remove obsolete Kernels and dependencies'

So now there are just 2

pic below:
IMG-1685.jpg

Last edited:
A thought just hit me (yeah ok....I'll hit it back later)

If I was to uninstall/remove the latest kernel (5.15.0-50).....and then wait for the update manager to send me a new invite to download it again......thta would at least rule out any tomfoolery attached to the system not getting it right...?

(Yes, I have T'shift snapshots from today, yesterday, 21st september, and 16th september)

EDIT TO ADD:
I have just gone to this page: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1992518

package linux-modules-5.15.0-50-generic (not installed) failed to install/upgrade​

New file »/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-modules- 5.15.0-50-generic.list-new« cannot be created: process not permitted

That is the 'bug' page Ubuntu Linux Package etc etc

The above bug is marked as "CONFIRMED"....it only affects one person (at that date).....reported on 11th October. It was released (and downloaded here ) on the same date

I am a member there and have subscribed to email updates concerning that bug.

Last edited:
At #17 you have it as installed, at the top. It is installed, you just can't see it yet.

I know you said earlier that whenever you install a new kernel, you can reboot and start using it straight away.

You must be in the blessed minority then, because when I do so, I can't use it for several reboots or a day or two.

I am running updates in Arcolinux at the moment, but I can show you this and more later.

The following is from my Mint 21 'Vanessa', don't be confused with the Manjaro logo it is just that Manjaro is in Primary Partition (top) spot at the moment. These are the Advanced options references

1WmNDdX.jpg

and the top entry is for 5.15.0-47, not 50.

I ran my Vanessa updates last night before I hit the sack, and nothing unusual.

Wiz

I know it is installed

On 20.3, each time a fresh kernel was downloaded a reboot was asked for, as soon as possible after the download/install

I would do as suggested/required, and the freshly installed kernel would automatically become the kernel booted to at teh reboot.

Are you aware if this procedure has changed?

I do remember some time ago, one of the kernels did not require a reboot.

Perhaps this 'hanging back' is an ongoing 'thing'

This pc has been rebooted countless times in the last day....so that is not the 'fix'

I think the good people over at Linux have changed the order of things, and have very politely omitted mentioning it to anyone.

We can just figure it ourselves !

...each time a fresh kernel was downloaded a reboot was asked for, as soon as possible after the download/install

That's through the Update Manager?

It doesn't apply in Debian-based distros (except perhaps for the MX series) when run through Terminal.

Take a look at this picture of a few of my Timeshift entries, and what you will see from my comments (one is highlighted) is ones where I say "kernel xyz running, and kernel abc installed", same applies with Fedora and Debian, doesn't apply with Arch-based ones.

As I said, I don't ever get the opportunity to use the new kernel right away, that has been the case through all the Ubuntus, and all the Mints. from 17.0 Qiana to 21 Vanessa.

dprFQX8.png

Gotta fly and cook the evening meal, back on deck tomorrow.

Cheers

Wiz

I don't ever get the opportunity to use the new kernel right away
But.....but......I'm Special !!

I do wonder if having grub-customizer installed on 20.3 had something to do with that?

I dont understand why it is not available to use as soon as it is downloaded
That's through the Update Manager?
Yes. every time.
I always update via the update manager....it is sitting in front of the clock etc...easily accessible....why not use it?...two clicks and it is all happening.(plus a password)

I just ran: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

brian@brian-desktop:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
[sudo] password for brian:
Hit:1 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease
Ign:2 http://packages.linuxmint.com vanessa InRelease
Hit:3 http://packages.linuxmint.com vanessa Release
Hit:5 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease
Hit:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Hit:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
Hit:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
6 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
gstreamer1.0-pipewire libpipewire-0.3-0 libpipewire-0.3-modules
libspa-0.2-modules pipewire pipewire-bin
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 6 not to upgrade.

How do I get to know which are the 6 not to upgrade?

Last edited:
nvm....i found it...

brian@brian-desktop:~$ apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
gstreamer1.0-pipewire/jammy-updates 0.3.48-1ubuntu2 amd64 [upgradable from: 0.3.48-1ubuntu1]
libpipewire-0.3-0/jammy-updates 0.3.48-1ubuntu2 amd64 [upgradable from: 0.3.48-1ubuntu1]
libpipewire-0.3-modules/jammy-updates 0.3.48-1ubuntu2 amd64 [upgradable from: 0.3.48-1ubuntu1]
libspa-0.2-modules/jammy-updates 0.3.48-1ubuntu2 amd64 [upgradable from: 0.3.48-1ubuntu1]
pipewire-bin/jammy-updates 0.3.48-1ubuntu2 amd64 [upgradable from: 0.3.48-1ubuntu1]
pipewire/jammy-updates 0.3.48-1ubuntu2 amd64 [upgradable from: 0.3.48-1ubuntu1]

Just a heads up - t'other Brian @Brickwizard was in a slight error before, sudo must preface each command

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Then it will work properly.

Wiz
Avagudweegend

Members online