Linux Mint

What I claim??? So I'm making it up just because it has never happened to you?

You said it not me...I've been running Mint Cinnamon for 8 years and it's never happened...maybe in Virtualbox and I can tell you Mint doesn't slow down either.
m1213.gif

As I said in post 6...could be your specs...Cinnamon requires more re-sorceress...having said that my old Laptop has only 4GB of Ram but is 64bit and has an i5 CPU and now a 500GB SSD...runs Cinnamon 20.3 just fine...have you tried Mint Mate ? :oops:

I ended up ditching it because not only did I get desktop crashes but it also slowed down. The Desktop crashes only happened in this OS it hasn't happened on any other Linux OS that I tried on that machine. The RAM is 8GB with a Q6600 CPU Its an ex-office HP DC-7900 that I got given to me along with four others a while back and I had installed a Q6600 and 8GB RAM along with an SSD in one of them It runs other Linux operating systems flawlessly. This PC I keep as a back up encase my main system ever goes down.

The desktop crashes in Linux Mint Cinnamon are not uncommon, according to my research these issues had been reported quite a bit and there are various threads about it on other forums. Apparently its a bug that appeared in the new upgrade. It could also be as mentioned above a Firefox issue combined with Mint and hardware acceleration because that would actually make more sense. .

Have a very similar system here also as a backup system "just in case". Some old Acer I got given when the owner upgraded. Intel Q6600/Nvidia 8600something and runs Mint flawlessly, although having several faster computers it doesn't see any real use.

Cinnamon runs very well for me, I've learned over the years the desktop environment doesn't really matter to me as long as I have keyboard shortcuts to move windows between monitors and it's stable. The applications matter far more than the desktop environment ever can. While I like the functionality KDE offers, the stability of Cinnamon has been far more useful.

Try to rule out hardware issues before blaming the operating system though. Run memtest to see if memory is an issue, check the voltages and temperatures are within normal limits. Your stability issues sound hardware related. GtkStressTesting and Memtest86+ are what I use these days for stability testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a very similar system here also as a backup system "just in case". Some old Acer I got given when the owner upgraded. Intel Q6600/Nvidia 8600something and runs Mint flawlessly, although having several faster computers it doesn't see any real use.

Cinnamon runs very well for me, I've learned over the years the desktop environment doesn't really matter to me as long as I have keyboard shortcuts to move windows between monitors and it's stable. The applications matter far more than the desktop environment ever can. While I like the functionality KDE offers, the stability of Cinnamon has been far more useful.

Try to rule out hardware issues before blaming the operating system though. Run memtest to see if memory is an issue, check the voltages and temperatures are within normal limits. Your stability issues sound hardware related. GtkStressTesting and Memtest86+ are what I use these days for stability testing.
I understand that but surely I would have issues with other distros if it were a hardware issue? I will check the RAM and CPU, maybe the thermal paste has dried up. The computer is knocking on a bit and I'll check the caps in the PSU and voltages etc. I could probably do with giving it the once over anyway.

The desktop crashes in Linux Mint Cinnamon are not uncommon, according to my research these issues had been reported quite a bit and there are various threads about it on other forums. Apparently its a bug that appeared in the new upgrade.

Linux Mint Cinnamon is a very user friendly and stable Distro but there are things you should know and do to avoid problems that's why I don't get them.
m1213.gif

1. Don't Upgrade eg...from say Cinnamon 20 to 20.1 this can cause problems...it's better to do a clean install. I only did this once Cinnamon 18.2 to 18.3...software manager wouldn't work...colours were not right plus a few other things.

2. Never install the latest and newest Version eg Cinnamon 21...wait at least 3 months for the bugs to be fixed...I waited till 21.1 came out. I remember when Cinnamon 19 first came out wasn't good but 19.1 was excellent and I ran it till last year.

The above has been happening for a long time...When the first of a new series comes out I'll try it in Virtualbox which is a good indicator of how it will run but it's always best to wait...that's why I don't have problems.
m1212.gif

I understand that but surely I would have issues with other distros if it were a hardware issue? I will check the RAM and CPU, maybe the thermal paste has dried up. The computer is knocking on a bit and I'll check the caps in the PSU and voltages etc. I could probably do with giving it the once over anyway.

Yes, but your stability issues I don't recognize at all on 3 different Intel/Nvidia systems running Linux Mint Cinnamon. The software being the issue seems less likely than the hardware from my perspective. Dealing with technical issues is a process of elimination, and the first step I always go for is figuring out whether software or hardware is at fault. It just makes everything else so much easier.

Staff online