Linux Mint

charlie.corder

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings all,
Just a few words about what I like about Linux Mint.
One of the main things that I really like is the simple way I can burn an iso to a flash disk.
Have a look.
Screenshot at 2023-04-26 12-03-50.png
Screenshot at 2023-04-26 12-06-11.png

Pick the iso you have already downloaded. Then pick the Flash Drive you want to use.
Then click 'Write'.

Done. It really is that simple.
This Image Writer is a program already installed when LM is installed.

Another thing I really like is how easy it is to format a USB flash disk.
Take a look.

Screenshot at 2023-04-26 12-04-16.png
Screenshot at 2023-04-26 12-07-10.png

Pick the Flash Drive you want to format. There are several Filesystems to choose from. Then you can put a name on the Drive.

As they say: easy peasy!
These are just two of the things I really like about Linux Mint.

Old Geezer,
Tango Charlie

Last edited:

You are so right, @charlie.corder, it is just as easy as falling off a log !

I tried Linux Mint Cinnamon when I switched from Lubuntu after using it since 2012 Lubuntu was my go to, everyday OS until the new upgrade came out and it no longer felt like Lubuntu anymore after that so I switched to Distro hopping for a while and I choose Linux Mint Cinnamon, at first I was impressed until I started to experience desktop crashes, every time I would access a certain webpage or open an app it would crash back to the Login screen so I then went to Xubuntu. I tried Bodhi Linux which has a nice look and another called Linux Console which has a nice basic clean look to it.

Linux Mint Cinnamon, at first I was impressed until I started to experience desktop crashes,
I didnt have any crashes but some apps were getting a bit slow, so i switched to Mint LMDE5

Linux Mint Cinnamon...desktop crashes?....Never. That will likely be a hardware problem.

I have run Cinnamon since around 2014 and have only once experienced a situation where Cinnamon crashed.

Note...that it was not Linux Mint that crashed....it was Cinnamon

We don't know how much ram you have etc etc etc....so we are in the dark in that respect

Have you restarted cinnamon ?

alt+F2 then enter r and press enter. That will restart cinnamon

Last edited:
I've never had Mint Cinnamon crash on me...maybe you have low specs.
t1822.gif

On the very rare occasion it might freeze...it's Ctrl +Alt+Backspace which brings you back to the login screen and everything is good.
m1212.gif

Mint has some very nice tools and when you add Etcher to the list it's great and of cause there's the Disk Utility say no more.
m1211.gif

I too have used Mint Cinnamon since the beginning and only time I experienced what you are talking about was a Firefox problem, not Mint's. If this is happening on certain web pages and you are using FF then you may want to try disabling the Hardware Acceleration. That is what causes the problem. The only other time I experienced a problem was with Nvidia drivers. So those are two areas to check out before concluding that Mint Cinnamon is at fault.

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and then added Cinnamon to that and it seems to work great.

I tried Linux Mint Cinnamon when I switched from Lubuntu after using it since 2012 Lubuntu was my go to, everyday OS until the new upgrade came out and it no longer felt like Lubuntu anymore after that so I switched to Distro hopping for a while and I choose Linux Mint Cinnamon, at first I was impressed until I started to experience desktop crashes, every time I would access a certain webpage or open an app it would crash back to the Login screen so I then went to Xubuntu. I tried Bodhi Linux which has a nice look and another called Linux Console which has a nice basic clean look to it.
@VanillaCoffee
Greetings and welcome to the forum.
I forgot to mention that I use Linux Mint MATE. I like its' simplicity.
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and then added Cinnamon to that and it seems to work great.
I just replied in your other thread.

TL;DR: A default installation of the Ubuntu Cinnamon flavor was much slower than any other Linux I have run on that same virtual machine configuration. Ubuntu Cinnamon flavor was too slow to use comfortably.

Loved Linux Mint for years, but probably not for the reasons outlined above. Mint worked where Debian would not. Mint worked where Ubuntu would not. It's been the most fuss free distribution out there for me.

Perfectly capable of doing Linux From Scratch. Been there, done that. Having less time these days I just want things to work. Mint does that.

Linux Mint Cinnamon...desktop crashes?....Never. That will likely be a hardware problem.

I have run Cinnamon since around 2014 and have only once experienced a situation where Cinnamon crashed.

Note...that it was not Linux Mint that crashed....it was Cinnamon

We don't know how much ram you have etc etc etc....so we are in the dark in that respect

Have you restarted cinnamon ?

alt+F2 then enter r and press enter. That will restart cinnamon
I ended up ditching it because not only did I get desktop crashes but it also slowed down. The Desktop crashes only happened in this OS it hasn't happened on any other Linux OS that I tried on that machine. The RAM is 8GB with a Q6600 CPU Its an ex-office HP DC-7900 that I got given to me along with four others a while back and I had installed a Q6600 and 8GB RAM along with an SSD in one of them It runs other Linux operating systems flawlessly. This PC I keep as a back up encase my main system ever goes down.

The desktop crashes in Linux Mint Cinnamon are not uncommon, according to my research these issues had been reported quite a bit and there are various threads about it on other forums. Apparently its a bug that appeared in the new upgrade. It could also be as mentioned above a Firefox issue combined with Mint and hardware acceleration because that would actually make more sense. .

Last edited:
OP,

You can Re-name a Flash Drive or External HDD/SSD without loosing anything on it...
https://www.linux.org/threads/how-t...linux-mint-with-the-gnome-disk-utility.41300/

m1203.gif
I did that with an SSD connected via a USB to SATA adapter and installed xubuntu to it then I put it inside a USB external HDD enclosure to use as a portable operating system so that when I'm out and about and need to use a computer I can then just plug in my SSD and boot straight into Linux and do what I need to, print documents etc bypassing Windows so long as those computers allow booting from USB without any BIOS locks.

I ended up ditching it because not only did I get desktop crashes but it also slowed down. The Desktop crashes only happened in this OS it hasn't happened on any other Linux OS that I tried on that machine. The RAM is 8GB with a Q6600 CPU Its an ex-office HP DC-7900 that I got given to me along with four others a while back and I had installed a Q6600 and 8GB RAM along with an SSD in one of them It runs other Linux operating systems flawlessly.

I'm running Mint Cinnamon on two computers and have never had what you claim...the Laptop has only 4GB of Ram...both have a 500GB SSD but you're free to use any Distro you like.
t1819.gif

I too have been using Mint from it's early days. and only problem I have had with it was when I had a machine with Nvidia graphics. But that was Nvidia's problem with Linux not Mint's. It is my go to Distro either Cinnamon or XFCE depending on the machine.

I'm running Mint Cinnamon on two computers and have never had what you claim...the Laptop has only 4GB of Ram...both have a 500GB SSD but you're free to use any Distro you like.
t1819.gif
What I claim??? So I'm making it up just because it has never happened to you?

Your experience has been shared by others. If you are using Firefox for the Browser it may be that the crashes are being cause by the Hardware Acceleration mode. Turn that off and see if it solves the problem.
Go to setting General Performance uncheck the box Performance then uncheck use hardware Acceleration when available.
good luck.

Last edited:
I avoided Linux Mint for a long time. After years of using Ubuntu for a desktop Linux, I switched to Linux Mint about six months ago. So far, so good.

(Full disclosure: my primary desktop is still Mac.)

Members online