Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. More ways to get the info! - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages on Twitter and our newsletter!. Twitter | Newsletter
    Dismiss Notice

LInux Mint Kernels

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by gillsman, Jan 29, 2019.

1. gillsman

gillsman New Member

Hi,
    My active kernel is 4.18.0-13 & in the update manager it is listed as "Superseded" there is another "Installed" kernel 4.18.0-14 this is listed as "Supported until August 2019" Then there is 4.15.0-44 which is listed as "Supported until April 2023" This would appear to be the one to choose due to it's long support but you would imagine 4.18 would be a more recent kernel to 4.15 but this is not borne out by the supported dates.

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

Can anyone clear this up for me please & advise which one I should use.
    I am using Mint 19.1 Tessa Cinnamon.

Thanks.

wizardfromoz likes this.
  2. Kryptoghost

Kryptoghost New Member

Typically most distros will offer a "LTS(long term support)" version every couple of iterations. LTS is favorable for developers and businesses because they know they can work in that environment for a long time. As a single user looking for cutting edge software and support you could enjoy the most recent versions when they drop.

wizardfromoz likes this.
  3. gillsman

gillsman New Member

4. gillsman

gillsman New Member

Thanks for your reply