Linux mint decided to lock me out of itself all the sudden

It doesn't. There's an option when you install Mint to do "automatic login." But you still can, like this.
I turned the login screen default off entirely because I'm not worried about anyone logging onto my computer a long time ago, and the less often I have to enter a password the better. Linux systems tend to default to that screen upon hibernation or sleep mode, but as i said above, i rebooted and forced it off so many times Oh well...if using Linux is a performance, then I fail!

Linux systems tend to default to that screen upon hibernation or sleep mode
Because the Linux default is to try to be more secure. Most of us prefer that.

The "lock screen" can usually be disabled from the Screensaver settings. You can do automatic login from boot. You can give root commands without a password. All these things are quickly found with Google.

Last edited:
Because the Linux default is to try to be more secure. Most of us prefer that.

The "lock screen" can usually be disabled from the Screensaver settings. You can do automatic login from boot. You can give root commands without a password. All these things are quickly found with Google.
Yes I did this, otherwise I wouldn't have had this issue, thanks for trying to help. I don't understand what happened today.

Hello everyone.
I always wonder why a person new to Linux wants the confusion that comes with the more advanced distros.
Yes, I consider Fedora an advanced distro. I shouldn't even mention Kali.
I firmly believe that if someone begins with a simpler distro, and learns to follow the installation instructions carefully, there is close to a 100% chance of success in learning Linux.
If someone is coming over from Windows I believe that Mint is the easiest to make the transition, (from personal experience).
OG TC

Hello everyone.
I always wonder why a person new to Linux wants the confusion that comes with the more advanced distros.
Yes, I consider Fedora an advanced distro. I shouldn't even mention Kali.
I firmly believe that if someone begins with a simpler distro, and learns to follow the installation instructions carefully, there is close to a 100% chance of success in learning Linux.
If someone is coming over from Windows I believe that Mint is the easiest to make the transition, (from personal experience).
OG TC
Advanced? Sorry, have you been reading the thread? This was a troubleshooting thread: I've been using Linux mint for at least a month now, and I have never had this issue before, except one time over the past couple days when I was playing with the virtual terminal, I noticed that the caps lock key did not function, but otherwise the caps lock key has always worked fine. As far as the login screen, I did NOT provoke it on purpose, even though I may have done something which triggered it.

Linux mint and Fedora to me have no difference in terms of ease of use to me using it for basic things: browsing, writing documents, playing with terminal commands, beginner level programming. I'm not seeing how Fedora is "advanced".

Just to be clear, I have been a little frustrated and cross about this because I was enjoying mint and have wanted to spend my time working on other things, so dont take that personally...but I do believe learning Linux is a rather large and adventurous field of knowledge, so learning Linux won't be completely straightforward and easy for anyone.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing how Fedora is "advanced".
Fedora is the testing ground for Red Hat. It has a short lifespan and each new version tends toward bleeding edge defaults that other distros do not follow. If you made no changes when you installed it, then you have a BTRFS file system. If you have problems with that, there may not be many of us here that can help you. I can't. I'm sure there are a few who can, but the point is that it is indeed "advanced" even to many of us who have used Linux for a long time. But it is one of the standard almost-since-time-began distros too. It is widely used and favored by many.

learning Linux won't be completely straightforward and easy for anyone.
So very true. There is no perfect A-to-Z guide in spite of a multitude of books and YouTube videos on how to learn and use Linux. We all have different learning ability and different study techniques and preferences. Take your time and enjoy the journey. You will never learn it all anyway. No one does.

Make Google or DDG (or other) your best friend. Almost any problem or question you have has already been asked and answered somewhere. Learn the Linux terms and jargon as best you can so you can better pose your questions clearly and get the best responses from Google. This is true here too: if you ask a confused question, you'll likely get a confused answer, or a series of questions interrogating you to try to discover the real trouble. This frustrates you and the helpers alike.

Members online