Linux Mint Cinnamon for Non PAE Laptop?

Blaubaer

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
which is the latest Linux Mint Cinnamon version to run on a non-PAE machine with an Intel Pentium M cpu, SiS 661GX+ 963L chipset and 1GB DDR1 RAM?

best regards,
Blaubär

Why is Cinnamon mandatory, if Mate or XFCE will allow you to actually install?

That's a pretty low spec machine and Cinnamon usually won't work. Mate is nearly indistinguishable from Cinnamon when used on such a machine, and XFCE will give you more freedom within limited resources.

I tried Cinnamon on my Toshiba A135 laptop (very similar specs), and it immediately complained.

@Blaubaer
Mint Cinnamon is mandatory
= unrealistic expectation, bound to disappoint
+1 jglen490
antiX, with no Desktop Environment is your best candidate for the limited-resource machine described.

Mate is found in Mint, Ubuntu, Centos and probably a few others. It will be in it's own ISO, or perhaps as an install option, so check the download pages for each of these distros.

Mate is found in Mint, Ubuntu, Centos and probably a few others. It will be in it's own ISO, or perhaps as an install option, so check the download pages for each of these distros.
...and Trisquel 8.0, Uruk 2.0, Fedora 29, Mint 18 and 19, Debian Live 9, Devuan 2.0, Sparky 5.3, Mageia 6, Porteus 4.0, Robo 8.11, Ubuntu MATE 18.04, Void (rolling), IGOS 12

Which one will run LibreOffice/OpenOffice most smoothly on a NON-PAE machine?

Of that list that you copied from ubuntubuzz.com, I have tried the 32bit versions of both Mints, Debian Live, and Ubuntu Mate. Of those, I was impressed with Mint 18 and Mint 19 on my Toshiba A135 laptop, also a low spec machine. Libreoffice ran just fine on both Mints.

So download a couple of them, burn them to USB or DVD and find what you enjoy.

Just FYI
Debian Live MATE icon
Debian Live MATE
Old Linux.org Thread

smoothest running LibreOffice I've encountered was with an external SFS file on Puppy Slacko 6.3.0

Linux, like anything in personal computing, can only be experienced in reality. You can study until the end of time, but none of that vicarious experience carries into reality.

In my 25+ years with FOSS, I have actually used (not just played with) a dozen different Linux distros and probably 4 - 5 BSDs. Then I started using Kubuntu about ~12 years ago and have stuck with it as my primary platform. Oh, I do play with various others on my laptop, but it will take something incredibly stupid in halls of Canonical to push me to anything else on my prime machine.

So the OP just has to take whatever advice has been lent, and either throw it out or take a best guess at some product and just dive in. After all, change is possible.

Just FYI
Debian Live MATE icon
Debian Live MATE
Old Linux.org Thread

smoothest running LibreOffice I've encountered was with an external SFS file on Puppy Slacko 6.3.0

The Live MATE link is 404. I managed to download Mate and Cinnamon somewhere else but both won't install or even boot.

What is external SFS? Google search leads to " huaweicloud / external-sfs". If that's what you mean please explain.

Members online

Latest posts