linux mint (cindy)

andrewysk

Reaction score
Credits
this is my first time install mint, and it has got problem. i only used ubuntu 18.04lts before... no such problem there.. i have spent 2 days on searching for soln on internet.. but none helped so far.

$ cat /etc/issue
LMDE 3 Cindy \n \l

$ uname -r
kernel : 5.3.0-40-generic

$ uname -a
Linux 5.3.0-40-generic #32~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 3 14:05:59 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/*release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=cindy
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="LMDE 3 Cindy"PRETTY_NAME="LMDE 3 (cindy)"
NAME="LMDE"
VERSION_ID="3"
VERSION="3 (cindy)"
ID=linuxmint
VERSION_CODENAME=cindy
DEBIAN_CODENAME=stretch

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:0e.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 3198 (rev 03)

$ sudo inxi -SMA
System:
Kernel: 5.3.0-40-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.4 Distro: LMDE 3 Cindy
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Laptop 15-da0xxx
v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: CND8477HXZ
Mobo: HP model: 84AA v: 82.22 UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde
v: F.04 date: 08/02/2018
Audio:
Device-1: Intel driver: N/A
** (saw audio device above via inxi, but how to install or mount it ? )

$ sudo lshw -c sound
*-multimedia UNCLAIMED
description: Audio device
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: e
bus info: pci@0000:00:0e.0
version: 03
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:a1310000-a1313fff memory:a1000000-a10fffff
*-usb:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Video
product: HP Webcam
vendor: DHKQB01BIBB0NE
physical id: 5
bus info: usb@1:5
version: 0.05
serial: 200901010001
capabilities: usb-2.00
configuration: maxpower=500mA speed=480Mbit/s

$sudo edit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
RUN=no

$alsamixer
alsamixer.png

tried to rename ~/.config/pulse and rebooted (nothing, still the same , new folder of pulse were created by system, still no sound)
mv ~/.config/pulse ~/.config/old_pulse

$ sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio (can't install this alsa thingy, hence no need to try to force reload alsa : $sudo alsa force-reload )
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package alsa-base is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package 'alsa-base' has no installation candidate

$ sudo apt-get install libcanberra-pulse (this is installed already, so what next ? )
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libcanberra-pulse is already the newest version (0.30-3).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
$ sudo alsa force-reload
sudo: alsa: command not found

~$ aplay -D -l -L
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server

$ lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -12
00:0e.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 3198 (rev 03)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 84aa
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 25
Memory at a1310000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Memory at a1000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:0f.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 319a (rev 03)

tried:
right click on "sound settings" from the bottom right speaker icon
sound.png

$ pavucontrol
vol1.png

vol2.png

vol3.png

so, i have provided all the info i know, and i have tried all the method there's out there in the net, but nothing available to help
i have not yet learn how to do the compilation myself.. hence i can't do any compilation or any sort of thing myself..

so pls help me.
thx
andrew

Last edited:

sudo inxi -SMA

Please, don't use inxi with sudo, it's not needed and use options to anonimize/hide some information you shouldn't be sharing for security reasons. Run inxi like
Code:
inxi -Fxz
Try starting pulseaudio like this:
Open a terminal and type
Code:
pulseaudio --check && pulseaudio -D
this will start the pulseaudio daemon.
Also, for future posts try and use BBcode which makes things more readable, you can do that with something like this:
Code:
$ cat /etc/*release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=cindy
NAME="LMDE"
VERSION_ID="3"
VERSION="3 (cindy)"
ID=linuxmint
VERSION_CODENAME=cindy
DEBIAN_CODENAME=stretch
The "trick" is enclose some "tags" in brackets "[ code ] output from terminal here [ /code ]" Here the tag is the word "code". Note that there should be no spaces inside the brackets or it won't work just like the example above, but if done properly looks like this
Code:
output from terminal here
see? Read here for a better understanding on how BBcode works. https://www.phpbb.com/community/help/bbcode

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
thanks for good tips. appreciate it.
Code:
$ pulseaudio --check && pulseaudio -D
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
the pulseaudio did not work as Daemon failed.

Please, don't use inxi with sudo, it's not needed and use options to anonimize/hide some information you shouldn't be sharing for security reasons. Run inxi like
Code:
inxi -Fxz
Try starting pulseaudio like this:
Open a terminal and type
Code:
this will start the pulseaudio daemon.
Also, for future posts try and use BBcode which makes things more readable, you can do that with something like this:
Code:
$ cat /etc/*release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=cindy
NAME="LMDE"
VERSION_ID="3"
VERSION="3 (cindy)"
ID=linuxmint
VERSION_CODENAME=cindy
DEBIAN_CODENAME=stretch
The "trick" is enclose some "tags" in brackets "[ code ] output from terminal here [ /code ]" Here the tag is the word "code". Note that there should be no spaces inside the brackets or it won't work just like the example above, but if done properly looks like this
Code:
output from terminal here
see? Read here for a better understanding on how BBcode works. https://www.phpbb.com/community/help/bbcode

Hope this helps! :)

Attachments

• 1584760659056.png
    1584760659056.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 406
i was looking into the releases of linux mint, but do'nt understand

i am currently using cindy, how come it is not in the list, but i do saw debbie which is of ubuntu version 4.. i don't think that debbie is the debbie u mentioned.
can you show me a release versions of linux mint.. i don't really like to install something i don't know what is that.

thanks.
andrew

LMDE 4 Debbie was released today.

hii poorguy
last time when i posted that my ubuntu desktop is chaotic, got lots of problem. either you or the other guy said zorin and linuxmint both using ubuntu kernel.
hence i decided to try zorin onto my friend's laptop.. everything works, but the webdavs connection sucks.. often disengage for no reason.. which beyond my ability to control, to know why and no idea how to mount it back on nautilus.. support community is very small.. hence i decided try the next ubuntu based linux, which is mint.
but just now i went to linux mint webpage to understand mint.. it appears that it said mint is based on debian.. i know ubuntu also based on debian.. why don't the developer of the website just said mint is based on ubuntu ? or at least say based on ubuntu on debian..

the way the website mentioned confused me. it said: it is similar as possible to linux mint but without using ubuntu.. in case ubuntu ever to disappear.. !!
that simply means it is not based on ubuntu, but straight debian.

"
Its goal is to ensure Linux Mint would be able to continue to deliver the same user experience, and how much work would be involved, if Ubuntu was ever to disappear. LMDE is also one of our development targets, to guarantee the software we develop is compatible outside of Ubuntu.

LMDE aims to be as similar as possible to Linux Mint, but without using Ubuntu. The package base is provided by Debian instead.
"

upon further reading it appears that i have installed the wrong distro of mint.. i should have installed linuxmint xx.x instead of LMDE3 cindy.

what should i do ? wipe and reinstall again ? oh boy, linux is really serious works.. sigh!

pls advice me.. is there anywhere for me to change from my current LMDE3 to linuxmint xx.x (ubuntu based).
i rather stick to ubuntu based, because i am more stranger to debian as to ubuntu (although both is debian based...) . because i just want to get this darn laptop installed, with no problem, no sound issue, not webdavs connection issue... then i will return the laptop.. the user of this laptop just want to use it to connect to webdavs and use it to play the downloaded video files from that webdavs... no more than that..

advice and helps are appreciated.
andrew

LMDE 4 Debbie was released today.

pls advice me.. is there anywhere for me to change from my current LMDE3 to linuxmint xx.x (ubuntu based).
i rather stick to ubuntu based, because i am more stranger to debian as to ubuntu (although both is debian based...) . because i just want to get this darn laptop installed, with no problem, no sound issue, not webdavs connection issue... then i will return the laptop.. the user of this laptop just want to use it to connect to webdavs and use it to play the downloaded video files from that webdavs... no more than that..
Go here https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php Latest/Newest is Tricia, Mint 19.3 and it is based off Ubuntu. If you do decide to install Tricia, remember to make a backup of your important data.

hii Tolkem

i am currently on LMDE 3 cindy.. can i straight away jump to tricia ubuntu based without wipe out the whole hdd to reinstall clean ?
can i just do an upgrade to tricia instead of fresh reinstalling ? i hav being doing installation of linux for a dozen of times already these weeks.. a bit fed up with it..
if possible, if not.. then i will "pull a long face" to install fresh. lol
by the way, my problem on this linux is that my audio card is detected on inxi, but not in alsa.. it is pulse, but i can't get it to work, nobody able to teach me.. all the online methods failed. else i will just stick with LMDE instead of ubuntu based.

that is , if you can help
thx

andrew

Go here https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php Latest/Newest is Tricia, Mint 19.3 and it is based off Ubuntu. If you do decide to install Tricia, remember to make a backup of your important data.

i am currently on LMDE 3 cindy.. can i straight away jump to tricia ubuntu based without wipe out the whole hdd to reinstall clean ?
No.
To install Linux Mint 19.3 'Tricia' which is based on Ubuntu you will need to do a fresh, 'clean' install (unless you choose to dual boot).
Go to this Linux Mint page and you will see the available Linux Mint releases. Click on the release number in the left hand column and it will take you to the Linux Mint page which will allow you to choose which Desktop you would like and to choose 32 bit or 64 bit. Click on the one you want. Notice that LMDE 4 Debbie is way down at the bottom - don't click that one! :)
Releases - Linux Mint

my problem on this linux is that my audio card is detected on inxi, but not in alsa.. it is pulse, but i can't get it to work, nobody able to teach me.. all the online methods failed. else i will just stick with LMDE instead of ubuntu based.
@andrewysk did you check that the audio card is selected in pulse? I was about to tell you to check in mixer options but noticed in your screnshots that there's no volume icon on your panel. What's the output of
Code:
apt policy pavucontrol
If it shows as not installed, install it with
Code:
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
once installed, reboot your system, if audio is still not working try again with
Code:

EDIT: Just found this post that I think might help with your issue. https://blog.softhints.com/linux-mint-identify-fix-sound-problems/

thank you for helping,

Code:
$ apt policy pavucontrol
pavucontrol:
  Installed: 3.0-3.1
  Candidate: 3.0-3.1
  Version table:
 *** 3.0-3.1 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
it is installed.

Code:
$ pulseaudio --check && pulseaudio -D
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
daemon startup failed. not able to run pulseaudio

darn it, i just plugged in a working laser mouse, but it is not running.. my touchpad runs, but laser mouse not running.. however click button somewhat works..

for a new user, LMDE 3 is horrible. lol
no audio,
no mouse,
no web cam.. (i tried zoom software, it said no video cam and audio card).

andrew

@andrewysk did you check that the audio card is selected in pulse? I was about to tell you to check in mixer options but noticed in your screnshots that there's no volume icon on your panel. What's the output of
Code:
apt policy pavucontrol
If it shows as not installed, install it with
Code:
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
once installed, reboot your system, if audio is still not working try again with
Code:

@andrewysk I re-checked your screenshots and noticed that you already ran pavucontrol before posting, sorry that I missed that before. In that screenshot the output device is set to dummy and it is silenced, is there any option to "unsilence" it?

Right next to the padlock icon there should be a speaker icon, is there any? I can tell from the screentshot whether or not there is one but if it is, try clicking on it.

Here's another good choice for the new Linux user.

are you sure thats not a character from Frankie Howard's "Up Pompei" introducing Linux Liteos - u r yes ..

Hii Tolkem

i have not noticed that speaker icon until now that you mentioned it. when i clicked on the dull icon, it muted the selection bar.. actually freezes it.. hence i believe currently it is not muted, when i click it , it will mutes it.

the silence only telling the selection bar at that location is silence , in another word, muted.
the "pad lock" is actually to lock the left and right channel together..

still, at the end i still got not audio. i have tried many more commands to install alsa-base, but not located.
i can't add in alsa ppa also: Adding PPAs is not supported

something not right with "alsa". i can't run it, i can install it..

andrew

@andrewysk I re-checked your screenshots and noticed that you already ran pavucontrol before posting, sorry that I missed that before. In that screenshot the output device is set to dummy and it is silenced, is there any option to "unsilence" it?

Right next to the padlock icon there should be a speaker icon, is there any? I can tell from the screentshot whether or not there is one but if it is, try clicking on it.

it looks like lite version of linux.. have a look of pre windows xp.
it support vlc and codec...
but does it support webdavs ?
hopefully audio, mouse and webcam supported .lol

andrew

https://www.linuxliteos.com/down Adding PPAs is not supported load.php#current

i can't add in alsa ppa also: Adding PPAs is not supported

andrew
If you would learn a little about the Linux distro you are trying to install you would know that LMDE is based off of Debian and Debian doesn't allow the use of PPAs.

Members online

Latest posts