Linux Mint Boot from Bios but not automatically from start up

J

JD1974

Hello Linux Community!

Building a gaming computer with a friend. Want to run Linux Mint as OS. Originally wanted Ubuntu but couldn't get it boot. Since Linux Mint booted, we are focusing on that. So here are our initial questions:
1) We were able to get it to boot from the bios. However, upon restart, it won't automatically run. There are no other OS installed and functioning. Although, Ubuntu is there but won't boot. So, do we need to remove the others first? Also, what do we need to get it to load upon start up?

2) We need to get the drivers installed for some of the components. The disks I have only has window drivers. Is there a good spot to get drivers from?

Thanks so much for all of the help.

Jerena.

1) What do you mean by " boot from the bios " and "automatically run"? Do you mean auto-login?

2) Drivers? That tends to be a Windows thing. In Linux many drivers are in the Kernel. If it works it works. In Linux you often don't need "drivers". What drivers for what components do you think need to be installed?

We can ONLY load the OS from the bios upon start up. So, I push the on button and I am taken to the bios not the OS. Then I select the OS and click boot. All is good. What I want is to push the button and have the OS load. Then I get the message that the video card driver is not loaded and therefore the system is not running optimally. Does this help?? I will try to get screen shots.

We can ONLY load the OS from the bios upon start up. So, I push the on button and I am taken to the bios not the OS. Then I select the OS and click boot. All is good. What I want is to push the button and have the OS load. Then I get the message that the video card driver is not loaded and therefore the system is not running optimally. Does this help?? I will try to get screen shots.
From what I can make of this are you confusing BIOS with GRUB? If so, GRUB is automatically installed with OS's like Mint. GRUB is a boot loader that allows you to boot the OS, Advanced Options and Memory Test.

As far as "drivers" is concerned, go to the Software & Updates or whatever Mint uses, see if there is a tab for additional drivers and it can check for any proprietary "drivers". If it doesn't find it, then the video card is not supported by Cinnamon. Try using Linux Mint MATE and see if that works. That's all I can offer for now.

Members online