[SOLVED] Linux Mint 2min+ boot time - TSSTcorp DVD writer issue

delta89

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,

I recently converted from Windows 10 to Linux Mint 20.2 cinnamon - all was fine until recently when my boot up time went from 20 seconds to 2 minutes plus.

System details: Kernel: 5.4.0-105-generic. Cinnamon 5.0.7 wm: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal. Machine: Micro-Star model: A320M-A PRO (MS-7C51) UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics bits: 64 type. Local Storage: 240GB SSD for Linux and 1TB Toshiba hard drive for storage.

After looking at Fstab, blkid etc the UUIDs for the SSD and hard drive match. However, I *believe* I have identified the problem - I have one DVD-drive installed, but it appeared twice in 'computer'. I unattached the SATA cable and boot up time reduces to 20 seconds. I re-attached the DVD drive and boot time goes back to 2 mins+. Now no DVD-drive icon appears in 'computer' but the boot up time is still 2min+. Is there a fix so I don't have to remove or detach the DVD drive cable?

G'day delta89, Welcome to linux.org

1. Is there a dvd in the drive?...if so remove it

2. Check boot order. Is the pc possibly attempting to boot to the dvd drive?

It might be worth running "systemd-analyze blame" and sharing the output of that wrapped in code tags. Like so:

Code:
systemd-analyze blame

delta89 wrote:
After looking at Fstab, blkid etc the UUIDs for the SSD and hard drive match. However, I *believe* I have identified the problem - I have one DVD-drive installed, but it appeared twice in 'computer'. I unattached the SATA cable and boot up time reduces to 20 seconds. I re-attached the DVD drive and boot time goes back to 2 mins+. Now no DVD-drive icon appears in 'computer' but the boot up time is still 2min+. Is there a fix so I don't have to remove or detach the DVD drive cable?

I would definitely run: system-analyze blame as advised by KGill above.

My other query is about what your /etc/fstab says. What is configured in that file for mounting? If for example, only one is, such as this sort of line:
Code:
/dev/sr0        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
then what difference would it make if both were configured in there? If you added a similar line the existing one, if it exists, it would likely be /dev/sr1 with a mount point like /media/cdrom1. You would need to actually create that new mount point: /media/cdrom1 in the filesystem as root in addition to configuring it fstab. This sort of config is entirely reversible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the advice. The issue is SOLVED: the following website has the solution for the TSSTcorp DVDRW I have installed. Boot time back to 20 seconds.

That site you have linked...

This site can’t be reached​

tsstcorp%20cddvdw%20sh-s223c%20dvdrw’s DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.

Apologies: the link is https://bit.ly/3xAhWJ3 and text from that website that fixed the problem:

Code:
$ sudo sed -i '/ATAPI/,+1s/^/#/' /lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules
$ sudo update-initramfs -u
$ sudo reboot now

Good find !

Glad you got it solved. It's worth noting that the /lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules file will be overwritten on upgrade so you will likely have to amend the file after each upgrade unless the configurations are changed to accommodate that issue.

Members online

Latest posts