Linux Mint 21 beta has been released

I downloaded and tried LM21 (Cinnamon) today

Very similar to the current LM20.3 (Cinnamon)

I am nursing a dose of the flu today, so will try it again tomorrow and hopefully pay more attention.

I am nursing a dose of the flu today, so will try it again tomorrow and hopefully pay more attention.
Sorry to hear your feeling poorly, Hope you feel better soon.

As I happily tick along with LMDE5, I likely won't be doing much with LM21. What news I've read so far is there's really not a whole lot of changes under the hood that will make a lot of difference at the user level, except the 5.15 kernel.

I am interested in others' reviews, though.

Cough it out and get back to work, eh?

I've notice one feature that has been removed, Which I'm sad about. In LM20.x series there was a setting to disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged in. But it's gone in LM21. Though that might happen since in there wisdom the Gnome Developers did away with it a cycle or two ago. KDE also did away with it in their latest releases. It was a function I very much used. There are alternatives but seems to me having it in the system was a better choice. Just My gripping :(

Get well soon!

I always get a kick out of it when people try to offer medical advice online. They're not doctors! I ain't listening to them. "Oh, take some vitamin B and snort some powdered zinc while doing an OJ enema!"

No... No, I am not gonna listen to them.

Just found the turn touchpad off when mouse is connected they moved it to a drop down menu, so it's still there phew! :)

Reading it'sfoss's comments re the upcoming LM 21 release, it would appear the official changelog/feature list is not yet available for the stable release.

What I can see is, a new upgrade tool. This applies to just LM20.3 as far as I can tell.

It does not involve using the Terminal......so the terminally challenged among us will be relieved.

Bluetooth gets a new application....Blueman Tool

This does away with the connection to Gnome

Blueman is a GTK + Bluetooth Manager

As has been discussed elsewhere, Timeshift development has been taken over by the Mint Team

This should provide some certainty for Timeshift, given the current developers move in other directions.

LM21 will also support WebP image format....small & high quality....by default in LM21. You can open the WebP images in the image viewer and the images will be displayed with their thumbnail in the Nemo file manager.

While Ubuntu 22.01 (the base for LM21) has problems with dual boot (windows)....namely that windows disappeared from the grub menu
Mint team has correctly decided to enable the os-prober by default. This means that the Grub bootloader with Mint 21 should be able to properly detect Windows (and other OS) as it used to previously.

Ubuntu has a "systemd-oomd, a userspace out-of-memory (OOM) killing service. This service takes “corrective action before an OOM occurs in the kernel space”

Linux Mint has decided to NOT use this "performance improver"....many ubuntu users are complaining about the shutdown of running applications as well.

Ubuntu has removed the libfuse library ....which means you cannot run Appimage applications

Linux Mint has included libfuse2 and libfuse3-3 by default in Mint 21, so AppImages applications CAN be installed.

Cinnamon will upgrade to 5.4.2....and the Kernel 5.15 will be included.

So, simply running a live version of LM21 will probably not excite you a great deal....particularly in terms of "new Addition" and the like.

But, the small yet important differences between Ubuntu 22.04 and Linux Mint 21. are slowly but surely becoming apparent.

Inevitably the question will be asked.....so what's the difference between Ubuntu 22.04 and LM21 ??????

The differences are subtle at this point.....but they will make a big difference to Users.

It is quite possible there will be more changes as the actual release date approaches

At this point a few of the 'changes' are a difference in approach between Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

Personally, I find it refreshing that Linux Mint is not just passing on all the 'changes' that Ubuntu has foisted upon its users.

I much prefer Linux Mint's approach.

Last edited:

Members online