Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

• Thread starter Deleted member 58530
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58530

Hello Linux.org.,

I'm not a big Linux Mint fan and never have been although I have used Linux Mint standard versions and LMDE without complaints.

I have been reading here and there that Linux Mint 19.3 ain't the same or as good as previous versions of Linux Mint.

Knowing how we users are about new changes to something we've become used to and comfortable with and the fact I was bored I decided to download and install Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

I created a bootable Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon DVD and off we started.

The install went without a hitch and once the install finished I restarted my 2009 Frankenstein build and installed the updates and some additional software from the Linux Mint repository and then applied some optimization tweaks and started using my Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
is a major needed improvement over previous versions of Linux Mint with a lot of new changes.

I like the new look and finnally a normal updater instead of the dumb number level updater and I like the new Celluloid Media Player which is formerly MPV Media Player.

I experienced zero problems or issues OOTB.

I recommend giving it a look at and perhaps a test drive.

My 2009 Frankenstein build.

Code:
thomas@Intel-DG33BU:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Intel-DG33BU Kernel: 5.3.0-40-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 
           Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: MDGs product: N/A v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Intel model: DG33BU v: AAD79951-407 serial: <filter> BIOS: Intel v: DPP3510J.86A.0572.2009.0715.2346 
           date: 07/15/2009 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium Dual E2220 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: D L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 9600 
           Speed: 1780 MHz min/max: 1200/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1764 2: 1788 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1152x720~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 v: 1.4 Mesa 19.2.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.0-40-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 20e0 bus ID: 00:19.0 
           IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 74.53 GiB used: 9.77 GiB (13.1%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD800AAJS-60M0A0 size: 74.53 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 72.86 GiB used: 9.77 GiB (13.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 177 Uptime: 16h 02m Memory: 3.77 GiB used: 1.01 GiB (26.8%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
           gcc: 7.5.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.32 
thomas@Intel-DG33BU:~$

I have Linux Mint installed on three machines now.
Two of the installs are upgrades on my 'daily-drivers' from LM 18.3 (desktop & laptop).
The third install of Linux Mint 19.3 is a fresh installation on a 'test' machine. A nice little Dell workstation which was slated for the recycle bin.
I installed and ran the Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon just as it comes 'out-of-the-box'.
It is a very nice and polished operating system. Less *quirky* than my two upgraded installs! LOL
I also installed Pop! OS and Manjaro on that machine in a triple boot configuration for testing purposes. Getting ready to install MX 19 on it in a quad boot configuration. Just for fun :)

I've never had good luck with upgrades as something always gets screwed up so I always do a clean install and never have any problems.

OOTB is the only way to run Linux and stick with the software from the repository because straying outside the Linux distros repository is just asking for trouble from my experience.

Probably why I never have any problems with Linux.

I use Linux mint and I really like Linux mint. it’s great, it’s easy and painless to install and works straight outs the box. I recommend anybody new to Linux to start with Linux mint it’s so friendly. I’ve had a cupple of minor glitches but they’ve been patched. 1 glitch was the very bottom of the screen there wa a thin glitchy line running through the bottom bar (Linux mint help irc said it happens sometimes and is due to be patched on next update). And 2nd glitch I had was it would crash when I would switch users.

But both had been fixed and is no problem

Yep Linux Mint is a hard to beat Linux distro and works well for any user new or seasoned.

Most Linux distros I've use install and work OOTB and all Linux distros are going to have a few minor glitches / hiccups now and then.

I don't really have a favorite Linux distro and use several different ones however if push come to shove I'd have to say Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as I just like it and it's solid and works OOTB.

Yep Linux Mint is a hard to beat Linux distro and works well for any user new or seasoned.

Most Linux distros I've use install and work OOTB and all Linux distros are going to have a few minor glitches / hiccups now and then.

I don't really have a favorite Linux distro and use several different ones however if push come to shove I'd have to say Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as I just like it and it's solid and works OOTB.

Staff online