Linux Mint 19.2 "Tina" Released.....LTS until 2023

MX-Linux is pretty much install and use OOTB or has been on my old outdated desktops.

As for antiX Linux you just have to download it and experience the antiX magic.

I use old outdated desktops so antiX Linux with its small footprint and low resource requirement
has worked for the most OOTB.

Antix isn't for the novice although its learning curve is minimal and easy to overcome providing a user is willing to learn the Antix ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
@atanere What is it about Solus, antiX, and MX-Linux that you are impressed with ?
No one thing in particular... mostly these seem faster and more responsive on my older hardware (even though I have a quad core AMD CPU and 8 GB of RAM). MX is partly based on antiX, so there is a bond there between them. Yet antiX is the faster one since it does not use a full fledged Desktop Environment and all the resources that entails. I actually have 2 desktops (HP) that are exactly alike... I put antiX on one last night, and I'll probably put MX on the other today after finalizing my backups.

@pooguy's experience and reference library should provide you with much more info than I can. :D

Cheers

No luck with Solus on my old 2007 outdated desktop.
I was unable to even be able to run it as Live Distro from usb.
I gave up on Solus as it ain't worth the headache.

I did install and am running antiX-19.b2_x64-full Marielle Franco 13 July 2019 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster).

Code:
antix1@antix1:~
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.186-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.5.5+git20190610 Distro: antiX-19.b2_x64-full Marielle Franco 13 July 2019 
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Dimension E521 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0CT103 v: A03 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: 1.1.11 date: 08/02/2007 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 1 
           L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 7214 
           Speed: 1800 MHz min/max: 1000/2600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1800 2: 1800 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 1024x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NV46 v: 2.1 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA MCP51 High Definition Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:10.1 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.186-antix.1-amd64-smp 
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom Limited BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX vendor: Dell driver: b44 v: 2.0 port: cc00 
           bus ID: 04:07.0 
           IF-ID-1: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 37.25 GiB used: 4.14 GiB (11.1%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD400BD-75JMA0 size: 37.25 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 34.42 GiB used: 4.14 GiB (12.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 58 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 139 Uptime: 48m Memory: 3.86 GiB used: 985.1 MiB (24.9%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 
           Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.33 
antix1@antix1:~
$ Marielle Franco

It is a beta so does have some issues although pretty solid.

@atanere I'm curious which antiX you installed.

@Condobloke I'm not trying to hijack your thread and these Linux Distros were brought up in this thread.

My apologies
condobloke if it appears that way.

Apologies unnecessary, mate. All the more info to take in and munch over.

I gave Solus a quick spin.....i put it on a usb stick via unetbootin...despite reading somewhere that unetbootin and Solus do not play well together. Thje first time I attempted to boot it went weird.....the second try was successful.
Very neat appearance.......quite definite in its actions......the choice of inbuilt apps/programs etc seemed a bit limited....but I will explore that further when I have more time.

I believe my issues I have with Solus are due to the age of my desktops.

I have run into this problem before may just be lack driver support although uncertain.

You should also have a look at MX-Linux as it comes loaded with software.

It is recommended to stick with software from the repos as it is designed to work with MX-Linux.

No luck with Solus on my old 2007 outdated desktop.
I was unable to even be able to run it as Live Distro from usb.
I gave up on Solus as it ain't worth the headache.
I thought it ran okay on my 2009 system, but I have still removed it again. It's nice, but different. At the moment, I have put Peppermint OS (v 10) on my primary machine. It is Debian/Lubuntu based, so I can use PPA's again. So, we'll see not if this one will stick for awhile.

@atanere I'm curious which antiX you installed.
At first I had 17.1, but then I saw the 19-beta and installed that. It is still on my secondary machine. I haven't spent much time with it (many other chores around the house right now) but I'll try to look at it more too. I'll likely install the full version 19 when it comes out. I like antiX, but it is quite different too. Not sure if I can adapt to use it as my primary or not, but it's definitely useful as a secondary/backup or on a live DVD.

At the moment, I have put Peppermint OS (v 10) on my primary machine. It is Debian/Lubuntu based, so I can use PPA's again. So, we'll see not if this one will stick for awhile.
I thought Pepermint was Ubuntu based with bits and pieces of Lubuntu and Xfce user interface although I may be wrong about that.

I've used Peppermint 7 and Peppermint 8 for awhile but ain't real fond of Peppermint 9 or Peppermint 10 .

Peppermint is an excellent Linux Distro that is easy to navigate and seems to work well.

At first I had 17.1, but then I saw the 19-beta and installed that. It is still on my secondary machine. I haven't spent much time with it (many other chores around the house right now) but I'll try to look at it more too. I'll likely install the full version 19 when it comes out. I like antiX, but it is quite different too. Not sure if I can adapt to use it as my primary or not, but it's definitely useful as a secondary/backup or on a live DVD.
Antix is definitely not for everyone and it does take a little bit to get use to.

I've used Antix since Antix 15.0 .

I always used Antix as it comes OOTB and it has worked well for me.

Yeah I'm waiting for Antix 19.0 to become final although the beta for the most works however can sometimes be problematic.

Typical of rolling releases imo.

I thought Pepermint was Ubuntu based with bits and pieces of Lubuntu and Xfce user interface although I may be wrong about that.
18.04 LTS could be either Ubuntu or Lubuntu. I was going by the DistroWatch description. Whatever their blend of OS, and DE (LXDE and XFCE)... they really do nice work. Even at version 10, it still seems pretty quick and stable. But it really does seem that all the distros just get bigger and more bloated with each new edition. That's "progress".... right? o_O:D

I agree new Linux releases do seem to be getting bigger require more resources to run which is why I'm leaning towards the small footprint low resource Linux Distros.

I will say that Mark Greaves has done an excellent job with Peppermint Linux as it does work well and still uses less resources than other mainstream Linux Distros.

My only complaint with Peppermint is the ugly color no matter how you change it although that can be said about several other Linux Distros also.

On Peppermint.

Mark Greaves aka PCNetSpec

0NiFaWR.png
used to be an occasional Member at the Forum where Tom and Brian and I came from.

Be aware that you have to install Libre Office and a few other "essentials" such as VLC I think, as Mark keeps the .iso down to a minimum for expedient downloading, so he says.

I love their wallpapers, and have been using it since v5 was going to v6 around early 2015.

Wiz

Love the wizard !!!

Yeah, I grow on you, but then, so does cancer

A shot of penicillin won't get rid of me.

Staff online