Linux Mint 19.2 "Tina" Released.....LTS until 2023

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Does that mean you are going to take the leap, Brian, or are you going to wait until you get back to Oz?

Wiz

The esp must be working, Chris.

I was just mulling that very question.

To do so I would need to "save" my desktop to somewhere else..(easy to do).........and probably a few other things which I have not clearly thought out just yet

Mulling......

I do have a very recent backup via clonezilla which verified itself as it was made....

I can take an on demand snapshot with Timeshift....just in case the whole thing goes sideways

I would also need to save quite a few items on the desktop I think...I am not sure if my "saving the desktop" to the torrents hdd will actually save the contents of some of them......just thinking out loud here...because some of that crap is not replaceable.......

I do like the sound of Tina.....it ticks quite a few boxes with me, that tell me that there has been some serious thought gone into its makeup....unlike 19 and to a lesser extent 19.1....

downloaded desktop to torrents...it appears to be intact

Will mull further

In other words I do not wish to get the bloody thing installed......and then discover....oh ****....I didnt think of that !!!!

Last edited:
Absolutely !!

May be somewhat simpler and cleaner to just download 19.2 and install it straight over the top

An alternative method is to buy an SSD as they are dirt cheap.
Remove existing Linux Mint 18.3 Hard Drive / SSD and store in anti-static bag.
Install new SSD and install Linux Mint 19.2 onto the new SSD.

My 00.02 cents.

I might just give it a miss for now. I fired up a live version on usb stick....it performs like a wet sock....not impressed.
Yes I know a live version will always be a little slow.......but considering it has no apps on it at ll (apart from the standard stuff that comes with it)....and it also has none of the crap that I have managed to inundate my 18.3/17 etc with over the past 4/5 years......I considered it slow. I am not talking about download speed etc etc....I mean cinnamon itself is like a wet rag when compared to the original 18.3.

I just discovered the usb stick is only 3 GB.......may have played a part in the slowness. !

Last edited:
I don't think a 3 gb usb vs a 16 gb usb is going to affect speed.

I have noticed that the newer releases of Linux have become resource hogs perhaps just my old outdated desktops.

One of the reasons I've moved to the lighter Linux Distos.
I would give Linux Lite a test drive on the usb and see how it runs.

I would also give LMDE 3 Cindy a look at since you like Cinnamon user interface and LMDE being Debian base don't change much just receives security updates for the most.

You will have to know how to partition a drive which I'm sure you know how to do.

Nothing good seems to last anymore imo.

My 00.02 cents.

UPDATE.
This morning I tried that original usb stick again with the same result. Slow as a wet sock

I dug out an 8Gb usb stick and threw the same 19.2 iso on there using unetbootin again.

Omg.....so fast it is frightening !!...well maybe not THAT fast, but certainly a marked improvement on the result of 3 days ago.

Most noticeable was the setting up of Thunderbird mail....which I rely heavily on. I didnt count, but I am thinking approx 5 clicks and it was all over. Walked away for 20 minutes while it communicated with gmail to bring all my emails onboard....and voila !..all done.

Remember this is on the usb stick, not an actual install, so the real thing should be all good. The only downside will be tweaking settings (groan)...I will get over it I'm sure !

Has anybody else downloaded /installed/tries Linux Mint 19.2 Tina (Cinnamon)..????

I find it hard to believe I am the only one...

(btw...the original usb stick is in the bin....I had a vague memory about its crummy performance somewhere back in time and I chose to ignore it.....which shows that paying attention to your instincts can be a plus)

I installed Tina (MATE edition) while still in beta. I took a chance with it... it's on my daily desktop. The upgrade seemed to go well enough, but the Update Manager has bugged me 2 or 3 times to update itself. That is something that I only expected once, so I'm not sure if it's a bug, or if it actually has needed to be updated again so soon.

My desktop is about 10 years old, and I've had some issues with Cinnamon from time to time. Not terribly serious, but I wanted to return to MATE for awhile. It has been running fairly well so far, but I do notice a bit of screen tearing (if that is the right word) when scrolling web pages sometimes. I am sure I could use a better graphics card, but I doubt that I get one! :p:D

Mint has long been my go-to distro, but I do test out many others on spare desktops and laptops that I have at hand. I'm still satisfied with Mint on just about all points and would recommend it to others... but I'm also thinking about hopping around again soon. Recent edition of Solus, antiX, and MX-Linux have impressed me lately, so I may be making a full-time switch soon to one of those for a bit.

Cheers

just a few bits and pieces I noticed.......much more in the link above ^^^^

Release Notes...well worth a read :: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tina_mate.php

If you are running the BETA use the Update Manager to apply available updates.

Sound and microphone issues

If you're facing issues with your microphone or your sound output, please install "pavucontrol".

This will add "PulseAudio Volume Control" to your menu. This application has more configuration options than the default volume control.

For those interested to read about this latest release....

The comments re SAMBA are very interesting....and ...... Samba is Free Software licensed under the GNU General Public License, the Samba project is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy.
and........Samba is the standard windows interoperability suite of programs for Linux and Unix.

more later

I have no idea.....and at this stage dont wish to know. It is dead....tis in the bin to stay

[snip]
... but I'm also thinking about hopping around again soon. Recent edition of Solus, antiX, and MX-Linux have impressed me lately, so I may be making a full-time switch soon to one of those for a bit.

Cheers
Can't go wrong with antiX or MX-Linux I'm using antiX on this old relic.

Code:
antix1@antix1:~
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 5.2.3-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2 
           Distro: antiX-17.4.1_x64-base Helen Keller 28 March 2019 base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq dc7800p Small Form Factor v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 0AA8h serial: <filter> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 786F1 v01.04 date: 07/18/2007 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core Merom rev: B L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 9309 
           Speed: 2194 MHz min/max: 1998/2333 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1995 2: 1995 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1152x720~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q35 v: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.2.3-antix.1-amd64-smp 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 1100 
           bus ID: 00:19.0 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 149.05 GiB used: 3.46 GiB (2.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD1600AAJS-22L7A0 size: 149.05 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 143.71 GiB used: 3.46 GiB (2.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0 C mobo: 40.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 1778 fan-2: 0 fan-3: 1239 fan-4: 1000 
Info:      Processes: 121 Uptime: 19h 14m Memory: 3.77 GiB used: 697.4 MiB (18.0%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
           gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.33 
antix1@antix1:~

I just bought some of these and they are OK and I got them cheap.

I've been collecting these SanDisk flash drives lately. Wife picks them up at the store for me. Only slightly higher price, but USB 3.0 and 32 GB.

https://www.costco.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Glide-USB-3.0-32GB-Flash-Drive,-3-pack.product.100495403.html

Cheers

@atanere What is it about Solus, antiX, and MX-Linux that you are impressed with ?

I will probably arm myself with a few more usb sticks and do some experimenting myself

I was unimpressed when I actually got LM19.2 loaded up. I was under the impression that a new 'system' would brighten speed and performance, responsiveness etc up a great deal. Wrong.

I kept looking for 'differences' in the manner in which Cinnamon handles the whole show....and failed to find them

About the only thing I really did like is one of those insignificant little things.....I was able to alter the width of the scroll bar (hardly enough reason to make the shift)

So.;....long story short.......I bunged in a 18.3 usb stick....found Timeshift on it......made the necessary
changes etc to Restore 18.3 to the sda1 (ssd). walked away for approx 25 minutes...Done. Perfect. Thank you Timeshift.

Maybe I expect too much. After reading all the blurb from Clem & Co......i was expecting a few flashing lights etc.....but the light barely managed to turn on !

I have definitely been spoiled by LM 18.3 Its EOL is April 2021. I need to do some serious work between now and then. As @poorguy has written.....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to
prayer."

I suspect the profanity will flow, before I find something to compare favourably with 18.3

I've never tried Solus although it looks interesting.

ok....i have some reading to do !!

Members online

Latest posts