Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa: No more icons on my Desktop.

camelman

Reaction score
Credits
First of all a big thank you for having accepted me in your group.
I would like to explain my problem: since this afternoon, on Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa, all icons of my desktop have completely disappeared (the PC, the trash, and all the others that were on my desktop). By the way, when I click (right or left) on my mouse in the middle of my desktop, nothing happens, even the option I had before, to choose another wallpaper, or to align the icons etc). On the other hand the icons of the dashboard are present and I have no ploblem on this side. When I try to create a shortcut on the desktop, the operation fails. I tried to use timeshift, but it was not able to restore my system as it was before this misery occurred.
Thank you for helping me
Rick

First of all a big thank you for having accepted me in your group.

The pleasure is ours, we hope, welcome Rick :)

Can you tell us is you are using Tessa MATE or Tessa Cinnamon or Tessa Xfce?

If you are not sure, the name of the .iso file you burned to install will reveal, or you can go to your Menu (if it is there), click and start to type Welcome and you can see from the popup (if it works).

Once we know the DE (Desktop Environment), we can help you navigate better.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Last edited:
Thank you Chris for your response. Here you can find details about my Linux Distribution:
RELEASE=19.1
CODENAME=tessa
EDITION="Cinnamon"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
I would like to mention that on my Desktop the "right-click & left-click" of my mouse is not functioning since the icons disappeared.
Thank again for your assistance.
Rick

I'm running MInt 19.3 Cinnamon.

I have the same problem. Desktop icons are missing, Desktop does not respond to mouse clicks.

AND: Nemo (File browser) does open but is not responsive,

I have four user accounts on that computer. This happened only to one user account. The other accounts are fine.

My solution was to just add a new user and copy the data over.

Have you tried restarting Cinnamon ?

pressing Alt + F2 , type r , and press Enter

Have you tried restarting Cinnamon ?

pressing Alt + F2 , type r , and press Enter
Yes, that will solve it, thanks,

Anyhow, this happens now more or less everytime I log in.
Any ideas how to prevent this?

Thanks

Do you have multiple monitors ?

try this

Which kernel are you running ?.....did this happen before the kernel updated (if it did)....has it always happened?.......what changed ?....try updating the kernel...use Update manager to do that.

If multiple monitors...(worth a read regardless )

Members online