Linux Mint 19.1 Passwords issues

The Hook

Reaction score
Credits
Hi-I recently loaded Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 Tessa to my laptop from a DVD purchased from a Linux site. Everything went very well. I left the unit in sleep mode for a bout a week while I was away, but when I returned, the program would not recognize my password to log on. I could not get around it, so I reloaded the distro and set it up so that I would not have to sign on with a password. However, when I am logged on and try to start a browser, IE Chrome or Firefox, I get a message that says "Enter password to unlock your login keyring. The log in keyring did not get unlocked when you logged in to your computer" It does not recognize the password I set up when I reloaded the Operating system. I tried this two times and there is no change. If I x out that message about 7 -8 times the browser will load, but the message still comes back.
Is this a known issue and is there something else that I can do?
Thank you

Hi again,
I looked at the two links you gave me and examined the discussions there. I tried one or two, but no change. So I am reconsidering re-loading the OS from the DVD I have , one more time. Do you know if this problem with Cinnamon Tessa has about not recognizing passwords at login, is a known issue? I would like to set it up properly with a sign on log in for safety sake, but I had the system refuse my passwords on two occasions of previous re-loads.
I will not give up easily, because I want to run Linux and get rid of Win 10 as soon as I am comfortable with Linux Cinnamon 19.1.

...but when I returned, the program would not recognize my password to log on.

Just clarify that one a little, @The Hook , and G'day and welcome to linux.org :)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

Do you mean that your Linux Mint install would not resume from the sleep mode, or is there another program in addition to Firefox and Chrome refusing to recognise password?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

because I want to run Linux and get rid of Win 10 as soon as I am comfortable with Linux Cinnamon 19.1.

... a Man after my own heart :D

This may seem like a long way around......but.... Have a read through the page I have linked. if it is beyond your capabilities at this stage then leave it alone.

If you are comfortable giving it a try...then proceed.

Ignore the word 'hack'....all you are doing here is changing the password.

let us know the result.

Last edited:
Nice find, Brian, that is the direction I was seeking to establish from the OP.

Another option I was considering was shadow.

Wiz

Hi all-Thank you so much for all your responses. My basic problem is now down to the message that pops up about unlocking the login keyring. It does not come up with Firefox, but does with Opera, and Chromium. Thank you Condobloke, for your suggestion; I do not have that problem anymore, but I have made a note of it and will keep it for future reference.

Greetings The Hook. These folks are much more versed than I on these matters. I will, however, offer this information that helped me. On a pc I had enabled auto login and still was prompted for keyring password from chrome. I found and used 15 on the following list. https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/tips-1.html#ID15 ans it fixed me up.
I also had similar happen on my laptop that I do not have autologin enabled. So I was a bit confused on that as well. It might be a cheat, but I just disabled it after I found this after gurgling it for quite a while.

• Open Applications --> Accessories -->Password and Encryption Keys.
  • Right-click on the "login" keyring.
  • Select "Change Password"
  • Enter your old password and leave the new password blank.
Luck be with you, and Welcome.
PS- I don't have opera, so I can't speak to that.

Last edited:
""after I found this after gurgling it for quite a while.""........
b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

that just tickled my fancy !!!!

Members online

Latest posts