Linux Mint 19.1 Canon MG5550 printer problems

Squibbs

Reaction score
Credits
I have had Linux Mint 19.1 and Canon network printer installed for me by a computer solution shop. There are 2 problems which I cannot rectify. Problem No.1 the shop cannot rectify.
1. Printing results in 4 pages printed on one page. Tried changing the page layout from 4 to 1 but this makes no difference.
2. Scanning will only work if printer is connect via usb - otherwise simple scan cannot find printer.
Please can anyone help me with this?

Yes - it is A4. I have just discovered that if I go on to 'advance' and change the setting to expand after changing the page from 4 to 1 it will then print properly, but I have to do that every time there is no way to permanently change the settings. I have looked at the document you referred me to and checked the downloads on my laptop scangearmp is a deb file but there are rpm and deb downloads for cnjifilter. How can I check that the deb file was installed?
As you probably gathered I am a real newby and not very knowledgeable.

Last edited:
I have looked at the second document you have recommended -
Should I try to re-install the printer from scratch or will this cause a problem with the current installation? Since starting this conversation I have not rebooted.

I have looked at the second document you have recommended -
Should I try to re-install the printer from scratch or will this cause a problem with the current installation? Since starting this conversation I have not rebooted.

Hi,
A brief introduction : i'm using Linux since Ubuntu 8, and not a newbie.
My mom (far away from me) has a Canon Pixma MG5550 who worked for two years on the Linux Mint 18.3 without reals problems, but suddenly, two weeks ago, the printer stopped working. I've re-installed everything, and everything (scan, print in black, print in color was working again), but from yesterday it prints a "Top Secret" page ...
open
(yes she DID take a photo, not using the scanner).
Any idea before I have a loooooooooooong time on the phone with her ?

By the way, I'm french, so please excuse my language errors ;)

G'day @Nathalie and welcome to linux.org :)

but from yesterday it prints a "Top Secret" page ...
open
(yes she DID take a photo, not using the scanner).

The manner in which you uploaded the photo did not "take" well, so I am reprinting it here.

canon-nathalie.png

SCREENSHOT - NATHALIE'S MAMA'S PRINTER - PRINT JOB

Nathalie, I am afraid I do not have any clever ideas at the moment :(, other than to suggest that when you get the problem fixed, you launch Timeshift on Mama's Linux Mint and take a snapshot.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

No magic today ? Huuu... thanks anyway, if I solved this, (other than deinstall / reinstall), I will post my solution here
I never use snapshot, (I love format and install) but YES ! I will on my mother's one, excellent idea, @wizardfromoz !
Thanxx

Shame on me !
It was just a "beginning banner" she added without noticing it, looking into the printer's parameters...
Pfff... Give people a solution, they'll know how to make it a problem ! :confused:

Hahaha :). I knew it was a "header" page of some description, but not having access to the machine or the manual (found a manual with about 569 pages), could not help more.

Glad you got it solved. :cool:

Enjoy your Linux, and Mama too.

Wizard

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts