linux mint 18.3 tutorial

Nandan

Reaction score
Credits
A friend of mine installed Linux mint 18.3 in my computer. I don't know how to use it. My computer has window as well, but I want to switch towards Linux OS. Could you please guide me how use it. Is there any step by step tutorial available?

A friend of mine installed Linux mint 18.3 in my computer. I don't know how to use it. My computer has window as well, but I want to switch towards Linux OS. Could you please guide me how use it. Is there any step by step tutorial available?

Hey @Nandan, I hope that we will be able to help you get started. Linux Mint makes several different editions, and the link from @mrcrossroads takes you to the User Guide for the Cinnamon Edition. You didn't tell us what edition you are using, but if it is not Cinnamon, then browse over to this page... there are some other User Guides there, as well as some other languages if you prefer. Cinnamon and MATE are the most popular, however, and those are the only User Guides available in English.

When you boot Linux Mint, it greets you with a "Welcome Screen" (unless you unchecked the box to stop it from loading at startup). The Welcome Screen will tell you which edition you are using if you aren't sure. The User Guide covers some things that you can skip over for now, such as how to install it... since you already have it installed. But it is still helpful to read everything so you begin to understand how it all works. Maybe next time you will install it yourself, or you will install it for another friend.

Actually, Linux Mint is very similar in the way that it works to Windows. You click on the Menu button in the lower left corner and it presents you with one of two possible menu screens: "Favorites" or "All applications". If you're seeing the Favorites screen, it doesn't seem to offer many choices. If you are seeing the Favorites screen, look in the upper right corner and you'll see "All applications".... click on that and the menu changes to show you everything that is already installed for you in Linux Mint. Look in the "Applications" column to see how many of the apps are gathered together... "Internet" and "Office" and so on. Also look in the far left side of the menu under System... there you will find Software Manager and Package Manger. Both of these are useful for installing even more software into your Linux Mint system.

Oops, sorry... I've gotten too far ahead of myself. The description above is for the MATE edition. Cinnamon is a little different... it doesn't have a "Favorites" menu, just the All Applications. And on the far left of the Cinnamon menu, it only shows icons and does not have the "System" heading I described. If you hold your mouse over those icons on the left, you will get a popup text that says what each one is. In Cinnamon, the Software Manager is one of the icons, and the Package Manager (full name is Synaptic Package Manger) is available from the "Administration" menu.

So, if you let us know which edition you're using, we can be more specific for you. But just jump in, click around and discover what you have. Find your File Manager and browse around your home folder and other places on your hard drive. In most cases you can also use File Manager to access Windows files, but you should be very careful about that as you can break things quite easily sometimes.

If you like to play Solitaire, why don't you try to figure out how to install it. If you succeed, it will create a new category of applications just for "Games" and will put Solitaire inside that category. Or, if not, that's okay.... tell us what you want to do.

Cheers

Oops, I thought it covered both Cinnamon and Mate. I should have reviewed it more closely.

Members online