Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

• Thread starter Deleted member 35560
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 35560

I have today installed Mint 18.3 and to be honest am very impressed with the improvements on 18.2. 18.2 was great and my introduction to Linux, but 18.3 is even better. I tried the live edition first and saw the improvements which are so many that you really have to look for yourself - Software Manage now is a lot easier and I love the fact that Google Earth is now included in it. The best thing for me is that everything is where it was before so there's no real learning like you had to do with windows every upgrade. I really would recommend this to anyone. As some one else said else where it is like Christmas has come early and you've got the best present ever.

Good morning from Down Under ;)

@Ptahhotep , totally agree. Is it 'Sylvia' Cinnamon or MATE you are using?

I have the Beta of the Cinnamon onboard, and the MATE on hand, but will likely replace them with yesterday's releases.

Another bonus is the inclusion of Tony George's Timeshift pre-installed. If using Cinnamon, it is under Menu - Administration. MATE probably under System Tools.

Other than a CE (Community Edition) of Manjaro named Manjaro Strit, which is maintained by one of Manjaro's developers in Denmark, Mint is the first of the mainstream Linuxes to incorporate Timeshift, and others will likely follow, as they did with the DE (Desktop Environment) of Cinnamon Mint developed.

An FYI for users of Timeshift is to disable its daily backup setting or you may soon run out of space. Other than that go to Settings - Location and set your backups for a separate Partition or Drive.

I have 2 videos down and two to go in writing a Tutorial on Timehsift, which I have been using for a little over 3 years, and it will hopefully be in everyone's ... Christmas Stocking :D

Enjoy your 'Sylvia' @Ptahhotep , and others.

Wizard

It's Cinnamon, I am using. I don't like the Mate desktop, just a personal choice - Thanks for the heads up on Timeshift as it a completely new thing that was valuable advice. Have nice day Wizard

I'm looking forward to checking out the Timeshift feature too... and hoping I never need to use it! :D

I just recovered from a total Linux crash a week or two ago (totally my fault... dumb mistake). But a fresh Linux install, a few often used programs, and restoring some rsync backups.... and I was quickly back in business. In my case, it would have been necessary for Timeshift to store its images in another drive or partition or else they would have been killed with the rest of the system.

Cheers

I upgraded my two laptops and my desktop this past Sunday to 18.3. So far no issues, and it works great! I really like the addition of "Timeshift." I always worried about an upgrade failing. Make sure you do as Wizard says and change the default "Daily" setting in Timeshift. I have my laptops set at once per month, two copies, and the desktop at once per week, two copies.

Crikey, you jokers are going to steal the content of my Tutorial :mad:... only kidding.

We mustn't derail @Ptahhotep 's thread, which is primarily about 'Sylvia', but at the same time, since Linux Mint's utilisation of Timeshift, I am happy to field a few questions on same. I will still incorporate them in the full Tute, which shows Timeshift can be employed across Debian-based, RPM-based, Arch-based distros and on and on.

@atanere - quite so, Stan, a different partition or drive is appropriate, if you have the resources and space. These can be tweaked in TS once you go through the initial Wizard, and then choose "Settings - Location".

Also, TS has as its engine, rsync, so you may find a few similarities, and for any System Administrators (sysadmins) out there, administering Linux networks, they are likely already familiar with rsync for remote access. But rsync also has application for the home user, and Timeshift is a good application of just that.

@Bayou Bengal ... also good application of the tool, but important to stress for those starved for space - Timeshift is not a complete backup tool. It is more like Windows Restore in setting a recovery point with its snapshots.

You can override its default, which is to not include the contents of Home (folder, rather than a separate partition), as I do. BUT, it is not incremental, so each snapshot taken will consume the same space or larger. Further, personal data should still be safeguarded, because if you restore from a snapshot, and have included files which are constantly altered, the snapshot will overwrite your new data, with same-named files. So it is important to either set KEEP so long constraints and then have snapshots deleted, or control it manually (on demand) as I do.

More in the Tute.

Wiz

I use "Lucky Backup for my personal files, and they are saved to an NAS device.

Hi Group!
I am a new member as of 2/2/2018 and wanted to say hello.

Well i burned the ships to the water line!
I installed Linux Mint with Cinnamon and i mean formatted my Windows 7 Dell Inspiron hard drive so no going back now,
I am into my second day absorbing like a sponge without the panic of not being able to use a safety blanket, windows.
It's get tough or die and im getting tough!
As you can see, by this reply, im already getting around the web.
I hope to some day get proficient to be helpful to others and hope to be an asset to to Linux,Org.
Oh and thank God for YouTube!
Tom

Hi Group!
I am a new member as of 2/2/2018 and wanted to say hello.

I installed Linux Mint with Cinnamon and i mean formatted my Windows 7 Dell Inspiron hard drive so no going back now,
I am into my second day absorbing like a sponge without the panic of not being able to use a safety blanket, windows.
It's get tough or die and im getting tough!
As you can see, by this reply, im already getting around the web.
I hope to some day get proficient to be helpful to others and hope to be an asset to to Linux,Org.
Oh and thank God for YouTube!
Tom

Hi Tom, and welcome! Always glad to see new users happy with Linux! If you have any questions or problems, just open up a new thread in an appropriate forum (General Linux or Getting Started are always okay) and we'll be glad to try to help.

Cheers

I love it when they talk like that :D

I did the same thing 4 years ago coming up, Tom. Never looked back. And yet another "Senior" joins our ranks :p

... and we will welcome that :)

See you "around the traps"

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts