Linux Kernel Release 2.6

debajiteziodutta

Reaction score
Credits
Is there something special about Linux kernel 2.6? if yes, then would like to know what are they.

Any insights on kernel 2.6 would be helpful.

Kernel 2.6 is old. Like ancient! It was first released in 2003.
Why are you asking? Is this a homework question, or something?

There were a lot of new changes in the 2.6 release that were exciting at the time.
This old article can probably explain it better than I ever could:

Does that help?

Kernel 2.6 is old. Like ancient! It was first released in 2003.
Why are you asking? Is this a homework question, or something?

There were a lot of new changes in the 2.6 release that were exciting at the time.
This old article can probably explain it better than I ever could:

Does that help?

Thank you sir, for coming up for help. Yes indeed I got an assignment by my professors on Linux kernel 2.6.

Actually, I myself got introduced to Linux and it's open source world about 6 months ago, and I got my interest on it, that was the reason of choosing an old topic yet Linux as my final year assignment.

I'll surely read that article attached above by you. Moreover, if any other information, you can provide on this, like documents or something, it will be my pleasure to go through them as well.

The best site I've found for new kernel release notes is...

Those are two example pages, there is a search bar at the top to look for a specific version.

Hmmm interesting topic. I used that kernel for a long time 2.6.30.5 to be exact in Puppy 4.31, so good memories of that series. Was a lot lighter on your system than modern ones. Anyway we move on.

Look forward to more on this topic.

The best site I've found for new kernel release notes is...

Those are two example pages, there is a search bar at the top to look for a specific version.

Many thanks for helping. I'll surely visit those links. Moreover, if you would have any other suggestion, do share :)

Hmmm interesting topic. I used that kernel for a long time 2.6.30.5 to be exact in Puppy 4.31, so good memories of that series. Was a lot lighter on your system than modern ones. Anyway we move on.

Look forward to more on this topic.

Wow, sir, you were the user of kernel 2.6. If you have any experiences to share, I'll be pleased to read them out :)

Well with regards to Puppy this was stated when 4.31 came out it mentions 4.30, 4.31 was a bug fix release:
"Puppy has received lots of updates this release. Besides a slight facelift, it features Linux kernel 2.6.30.5 with support for Ext4 and Aufs2, a new graphical CPU Scaling configuration"

Staff online