Linux installer does NOT detect win7 for dual boot installation

S

serros

Hello

I decided to start using Linux instead of windows.
However, in order to migrate smoothly, I do need at beginning to have dual boot until I can get rid off win7.

However, when trying to install Ubuntu on a EXT3 partition (200GB) I prepared on my SSD, the Linux installer does NOT detect win7 (booting Ubuntu 14.04 from USB).

I tried with Ubuntu and Mint, but same problem....

I tried to add in the bootloader with EasyBCD (below):
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader. Default: Windows 7 Timeout: 30 seconds EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1 Name: Windows 7 BCD ID: {current} Drive: C:\ Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2 Name: NeoSmart Linux BCD ID: {f55a7dd2-d452-11e3-852e-cd8f3a06a895} Drive: C:\ Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_linux.mbr

The dual boot works when I boot and can start win7, but the problem is still the same, Ubuntu doesnt detect win7 and dont know what to do to install it.
I shall add that I have UEFI firmware.

Thanks for help.
Serros

I am not clear on exactly what problem you are having... but I have little doubt that UEFI is at the heart of it. I would certainly suggest that before you go any further that you 1) backup anything that is critically important to save, and 2) make a set of Windows Recovery DVD's if you haven't already. Any time you start manipulating operating systems, there is a chance of losing data, and perhaps needing to re-install one, or both, of the OS's.

I got rid of my only UEFI enabled laptop, but I remember how much trouble it was to get Linux working. You may need to disable Secure Boot, or you may need to enable Legacy Boot, or both. It may be hard to figure out how to make these changes. Every manufacturer makes UEFI a little differently, and it can be extremely frustrating. In my case, I finally had to hit F12 at boot time, then use the BIOS boot manager to select Linux, which then took me to a working copy of GRUB. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

I don't think it matters whether Win 7 or Win 8... I really think UEFI is what you have to work around to get your system to dual boot.

Here are a couple of articles that may help you:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/
and
http://askubuntu.com/questions/2218...talled-windows-8-64-bit-system-uefi-supported

You can do this! But it is difficult stuff, especially for a beginner. Good luck!