Linux installation problem

And sometimes you just have to beat your head against the wall until the computer complies! :eek::D

When all is said and done, and you finally have Linux dual booting... you should write up a summary to explain all this. Yours is definitely one of the harder cases.

I did holes in my walls with my head. I'm quite proud of it, I called it "windows".

atanere said:
When/where did the HDD come into play? Is your drive a "hybrid" (part SSD, part HDD)? These have caused trouble before too.
My SSD is a SSD, and my HDD a HDD. I'm not really convinced by the things I've read about hybrid.

atanere said:
Depending on your willingness... I'm sure curious if Ubuntu or Mint would do a full install (Use Entire Disk) and work correctly? In my experience, they should both work with Secure Boot left enabled, but they should also work leaving it disabled too. It may need to be disabled on your Asus... it's a funny one.

Doing a full Linux install is not typically the best way to go with dual boot though. Almost always Windows is installed first... because it is guaranteed to take over the system and not allow Linux booting if you try to install Windows second. I think it's possible, but not something I have experience with.

I erased Windows and did a full installation this (french) morning, and, surprise, it's working well ! I'm currently writing from Firefox runned into full installed Ubuntu. So, I can install Ubuntu, good new.

But now, how can I set a dual boot with Windows ... ? Meta..o_O Let's try, first, before to try Wubi or Voyager.
Maybe I can install ((Window + Wubi) alongside Ubuntu), alongside, I don't know, SnowLeopard ! Let's rock !

wizardfromoz said:
Stan would love that. He and I are fans of Tolkien's Lord of The Rings, so having songs sung about him would make his day.

My mom' was used to read me "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" and "the hobbit" when I was too young to know how to read. As i'm french, no offense, I'll write poetry in French:

"Sur la plaine de l'internet allait un bienveillant voyageur,
apportant son aide pour installer ubuntu
Bravant peine et devinettes, triomphant de toute les erreurs,
ecrivant des conseils pour mettre linux debout"

It's a little bit "poor" but, I'm not a writer.

It means :
On the internet plain was a benevolent traveler,
Helping to install ubuntu,
Braving pain and riddles, triumphing over all mistakes,
writing tips to put linux upright "

But in french, "traveler" and "mistakes" are rhyming. "Ubuntu" and "upright" too.

Kanpaï !

Hello again !
Like I said,
STEP 1 : I erased windows this morning and fully installed ubuntu, without problems, on the whole disk.
STEP 2 : Then I booted from the usb stick, and shrinked "sda" (where ubuntu is installed) to let a 90G unallocated part.
STEP 3 : Then I rebooted on the Windows CD.
STEP 4 : I installed Windows without problems, rebooted to check if everything gone well and here I am :
I got Ubuntu AND Windows, working, on the same SSD ! IT WORKS !

BUT ...
It is not really a dual-boot, I don't have the choice between the two OS at boot beginning. I'm a kind of purist, and if it's possible, I WANT to have the choice, and do not type "F2" everytime to be able to chose.

I looked for Something about that and I found that :

But, when I run EasyBCD, I can only see Windows, and no traces of Linux or Grub or Something like that.

I tride to update Grub from Ubuntu, but it didn't have changed Nothing.

Despite this, We are moving forward!

Again, thanks for your help and your kindness !

I erased Windows and did a full installation this (french) morning, and, surprise, it's working well ! I'm currently writing from Firefox runned into full installed Ubuntu. So, I can install Ubuntu, good new.
Yes! There IS light at the end of the tunnel! (And it's not a train!) :eek::D

It is not really a dual-boot, I don't have the choice between the two OS at boot beginning. I'm a kind of purist, and if it's possible, I WANT to have the choice, and do not type "F2" everytime to be able to chose.
Well, yes, it is one method of dual booting. And I've heard a few stories of folks who have not been able to find any other way. Whether you use F2, or whether you get the GRUB menu to load first... one OS will still load by default if no choice is made. Is this not true? That is, does Windows not load by default if you do not use F2 to get to Ubuntu?

This might take you back to the BIOS/UEFI setting to hunt for "Boot Order". With both systems now installed and working, perhaps you will be able to make this selection as to which you want to be the default.

If Windows does boot by default (without F2)... I know of another hack with a Windows command line that should set GRUB to be your default. This usually means that Ubuntu will boot without any action, but you should be able to select Windows from that GRUB menu screen.

But if you must use F2... or else nothing loads.... how does the computer respond? Do you get any errors, like "No operating system found" or anything like that?

[EDIT: By the way, I love your humor and patience, and your willingness to dig so deep to get your system running Linux. Many people would give up, but I hope that your hard work here pays off, and I hope that you enjoy Linux as much as we all do. And THANK YOU for the poem!] :D

Last edited:
Aaaaaannnnnd....

EasyBCD was useless because Windows deleted Grub during its installation. I thought "install grub again". I tried "boot-repair" from my linux session, or from the usb stick session, and it didn't worked, because of some bugs I can't imagine ...
BUT !
From windows :
1 - Windows + X (useful shortcut)
2 - Command prompt (admin)
3 - Type or copy-paste "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi"
4 - Restart ! With a lot of hope ! and ...
5 - Enjoy the beautiful grub boot menu, with a lot of choices, among wich we can find Windows, Ubuntu, and what you want !

Solved.
SOLVED !

But I have, however, I have some error messages like "... encountered a problem" but it doesn't seems to be critical.

3 - Type or copy-paste "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi"

Wow, you are good! How did you read my mind like that... I had only just typed in that I knew of that command line trick!

And in my best Homer Simpson voice, "WOO HOO!!!!"

Now the real fun can begin, I hope!

Well, yes, it is one method of dual booting. And I've heard a few stories of folks who have not been able to find any other way. Whether you use F2, or whether you get the GRUB menu to load first... one OS will still load by default if no choice is made. Is this not true? That is, does Windows not load by default if you do not use F2 to get to Ubuntu?

This might take you back to the BIOS/UEFI setting to hunt for "Boot Order". With both systems now installed and working, perhaps you will be able to make this selection as to which you want to be the default.

If Windows does boot by default (without F2)... I know of another hack with a Windows command line that should set GRUB to be your default. This usually means that Ubuntu will boot without any action, but you should be able to select Windows from that GRUB menu screen.

But if you must use F2... or else nothing loads.... how does the computer respond? Do you get any errors, like "No operating system found" or anything like that?

Before the command line, without doing nothing, it was Windows which was loaded. I changed my boot order but it didn't do nothing. Fortunately, the command did all the work.

[EDIT: By the way, I love your humor and patience, and your willingness to dig so deep to get your system running Linux. Many people would give up, but I hope that your hard work here pays off, and I hope that you enjoy Linux as much as we all do. And THANK YOU for the poem!] :D

Thanks ! sincerely ! And I can return all that compliments to you all (those I "know").
You don't know me and you spent time to help me, it's really nice. Humor is the key !

There are many friendly people here that enjoy helping others, and there are many levels of experience. Me, I'm not that good! But I am quite bull-headed! :eek:

So, for now, let me leave you with a caution: Keep religious backups of your important work, both in Windows and Linux. I have heard more than once of cases when a "Windows Update" has caused Linux to not boot anymore. And Windows updates far too much for my liking! But maybe the command line trick you just applied will restore GRUB even then, if that happens to you too.

Ubuntu is a great distro, and I hope that it serves you well. There are many other great distros too, and you may enjoy loading some up in live mode to see new possibilities as you become more used to the Linux environment.

Cheers

Sure, you are not the only one :) But, let's say you are a good example !

Backup, It's printed in my mind now, don't worry :)

And I want to try other distros, off course. It's like a new world for me !

May i ask a last question ?
I want to optimize the Ubuntu installation. I want to Make it write on the ssd not too often, things like that. Have you advices to give me ?
To Move /home somewhere, or to edit path of ... things. I'm curious.

I want to optimize the Ubuntu installation. I want to Make it write on the ssd not too often, things like that. Have you advices to give me ?
There are many things, I'm sure.... more than I will remember. But very first of all, turn on your firewall. This is easily done by opening a terminal and giving this command:
Code:
sudo ufw enable

You won't see any response when you type in the sudo password, but that is normal. Just type carefully and hit Enter. The firewall will activate and also come on each time you boot Ubuntu.

Here is a website that offers many helpful tips/tweaks for your new Ubuntu. You did get version 18.04, right? That is the Long Term Support (LTS) version and will get updates for years to come. The guy who makes this website also has a special section for Linux Mint. I have found his advice to be very worthwhile, but you do not have to follow each tip he gives either. Read through them and see what you think is best for yourself.

Googling for "best things to do with Ubuntu" or "Ubuntu tips and tweaks" will flood you with other similar sites. At times, you may find one person's advice is a conflict with another person's advice... that's just human nature shining through. We can all have different opinions about many things, including Ubuntu settings! :D

Google should be your best friend (or Startpage, or Duck Duck Go, or whatever you like). As you learn the Linux "lingo" and "jargon"... you will be better able to phrase your questions to the search engines and can get better responses. Just about any problem or question you have... someone else has already covered it. I suspect you are already pretty good at this because of the links and information you found earlier in this discussion!

And of course, feel free to open new threads here if you wish. We can offer you plenty of conflicting advice here, just as well as anyone else! :eek:o_O:D

Maybe I can install ((Window + Wubi) alongside Ubuntu)

Now that you have your dual boot up and running, that would not likely work.

You could install Ubuntu on your Windows with WUBI, but because of the influence of your existing Ubuntu on the Grub Menu, it would not likely generate an additional menu entry so you might not be able to boot into it. But it is worthwhile keeping a bookmark on WUBI, should you come across another computer that is Windows only or a friend might want to try it.

Of course, I have been known to be wrong. I lost a bundle of money on the American Revolution (backed the Brits), and likewise the French Revolution 15 - 25 years later. Took me 25 years to notice that my crystal ball had a very small crack in it.

1Mb47bg.png

Cheers all, and enjoy your Linux.

Wizard

Of course, I have been known to be wrong. I lost a bundle of money on the American Revolution (backed the Brits), and likewise the French Revolution 15 - 25 years later. Took me 25 years to notice that my crystal ball had a very small crack in it.
Wizard

Drop the mic. :cool:

Members online

Latest posts