linux installation, help needed???

jbar2016

Reaction score
Credits
hey, i have a laptop i am having some trouble getting linux installed on.
i am new to linux, looking to eventually convert completely to linux and i have alot to learn.
this is my 2nd install, the first one went well.

the laptop is an Acer Cloudbook 14 AO1-431
i have tried 2 versions of linux, mint and kubuntu. both versions have the same end result, an black screen.
i tried the acpi command as well as the nomodeset command, with no result.
disabled, secure boot, and tried legacy mode as well.

compatibility mode of mint works every time, it does not recognize the emmc or touchpad, i have attempted to update drivers but it fails

i am currently using the mint compatibility mode to write this post, so i should not have an issue once it is installed but i need to get the drive to read

please help.

Thank you for the fast reply!

I read that article before i decided to install linux on this laptop.

The main difference between my install and that article is that his live usb recognized the emmc and properly installed. I will not get the no o.s. error until after i install linux.

Unfortunately i cannot get that far in the install

update, i found the boot parameters to get theusb to load, i fixed the mouse, fix below.

i am having trouble finding out how to add hardware info into the live usb so the emmc will be recognized, i have a list of hardware info from archlinuxwiki and i dont know where to input it.
# lspci -nn & #lsusb

any ideas???

boot parameters:
edd=off
noapic

mouse set to basic in bios settings
provided by archlinux wiki..

Last edited:
Update

I am able to install linux in legacy mode

In efi mode i get mmc0 failed to request irq -16: -22 error

Hi @jbar2016, and welcome! Glad that you found a way to make Linux install on the Acer. Some brands/models have some strange problems that are not common, and it seems like yours may be such a computer. I read through the link @arochester provided and it was very helpful, and there was also some good info in the comments below the article.

Since you have it working, you may not want to try anything further... but if you do, one of the comments said that adding the command acpi=off when booting on the Linux USB allowed it to work, even in UEFI mode. Another comment referred to this link for some detailed instructions installing Ubuntu (should be the same for Mint) and how it was necessary to set a Supervisor password in BIOS to access restricted BIOS settings needed to choose the UEFI bootloader used by Linux (shimx64.efi).

It also may be that other Linux distros would work better in your case. Both Mint and Kubuntu are based on Ubuntu (which is in turn based on Debian)... so sometimes it can help to step away from a "family" of distros like that and try those that are totally different... Fedora (Red Hat based) or Manjaro (Arch based) would both be good to try out, if you decide to do any further testing. And there are some other independent distros as well.

Good luck! And welcome to the world of Linux! :D

Cheers

I can get the usb of mint and kubuntu to boot in both legacy and uefi mode, via noapic. The acpi=off stops 4 or 5 additional errors but does not resolve the mmc0 irq error in uefi mode. I did not need acpi=off to install mint in legacy mode.

This has been a great learning experience and i had alot of help over at linux mint forums i will edit this later with the url.

I do think i will stick with kubuntu in legacy mode. The performance is far superior to windows...

Learning is definitely a part of the Linux process... glad that you're enjoying that part too! I've been at it for quite awhile, but I still learn new stuff all the time. :cool::D

I have a lot of knowledge in the windows environment, and i always found it to be fascinating.

I never was really interested in linux, as previously i felt it was kind of left behind compared to other operating systems of the time, but with googles development and all the great dev's in the linux community linux has grown into what seems so far a great operating system.

I will say it is not easy deciding the best distro for the uses you will need it for, i chose kubuntu because it was the more relatable of the 2 i tried

I will say it is not easy deciding the best distro for the uses you will need it for, i chose kubuntu because it was the more relatable of the 2 i tried

Yes, there are MANY choices in distros... but the main thing you see is what you are usually interacting with: the desktop. And luckily there are fewer choices to confuse folks with desktops (or Desktop Environment (DE) more accurately). With Kubuntu you are using KDE, but the Ubuntu family offers almost all of the DE's for you to pick from. The DE choices are definitely a matter of personal tastes. Some are more Windows-like and traditional, some are more Mac-like, and some are more modern and don't have anything to compare with. I really enjoy testing out new distros and the updates to the DE's that they offer. Although I'm not usually a big fan of Gnome 3 Shell, I'm looking forward to Ubuntu's new LTS version in April as they switch to that DE and leave the Unity desktop they have used for years.

Hello,

There may be some dependence regarding your system,
1. The hardware as you have choose 32 bit and intrigated 64 bit version OS.
2. check BIOS setting and update it if need

I can get the usb of mint and kubuntu to boot in both legacy and uefi mode, via noapic. The acpi=off stops 4 or 5 additional errors but does not resolve the mmc0 irq error in uefi mode. I did not need acpi=off to install mint in legacy mode.

This has been a great learning experience and i had alot of help over at linux mint forums i will edit this later with the url.

I do think i will stick with kubuntu in legacy mode. The performance is far superior to windows...
You can boot Mint into Legacy and it works fine. It was one of the first things I learnt and was told if ain't broke don't fix it. If am I am correct most distros will boot in legacy and remain stable once installed - I hope you sorted this out now as I know it is an older post

hey, thank you for the info on legacy installs, so i ended up going back to windows for a while and decided to go back to linux the other day, i am in love with the new zorin, and i will definitely try out wine once i get the acer straightened out again. i just re read my post here and may have stumbled across where i went wrong this time.

i am going to follow the steps here again and post later, i tried changing the grub to test and when i was done testing i couldnt find out how to change the grub back, it is weird the grub "update" would not stick and i had to reinstall linux, i used the startup menu via holding shift to edit grub.

for future knowledge: what is the difference between noapic and acpi=off, and the other startup commands?

hey onlive, i made sure that i had 64 bit, the same as the original o.s..
as for the bios, which i should have mentioned was updated to the latest bios because it has a major update to the emmc that should have made it visible to linux installs.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts