Linux Freezing

Olly72652

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone!

Currently I’m experiencing difficulties with random episodes of hanging which result in me having to hard reset my PC.

Originally I thought it to be a GPU driver issue as it would no longer detect mouse movement or any keystrokes as it would out right hang but I have updated it to the latest and greatest to no avail.

Next I moved onto hardware incompatibility or particularly issues with my RAM but I none were to be found.

Finally I got a second monitor plugged it in over HDMI and everything on there seems to run smoothish and I haven’t experienced crashing.

To conclude I’m beginning to think this is perhaps a monitor issue but am stuck on where to go next. I would greatly appreciate any input or advice because I have absolutely no idea what to do.

G'day Olly and Welcome to linux.org

Do both monitors have the ability to plug in via hdmi and also dvi connectors ?

If so swap them over....connect the monitor currently connected via hdmi to being connected via dvi......

if that solves the problem then the dvi lead may be faulty/not connected properly, etc etc

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command

inxi -Fxz

press enter and then copy and paste the output to a post.

Hey poorguy

I opened a terminal and entered inxi -Fxz as requested to be told ‘command not found’

Ay condobloke.

My first monitor only has the ability to plugin via DVI and HDMI where as my second one can only do HDMI and DP.

Just so I’m being clear I’m not currently trying to daisy chain my monitors basically I’m trying to get my beloved 49 inch monitor to work and cooperate with me.

Now that you mention it though I’ll hook my main monitor up over HDMI instead of DP and shall report back.

Alright so I decided to go try to hookup my 49 inch monitor to HDMI and it appears to be stuck in a look in the sense it’s trying to display something it just keeps showing the kind of backlit black screen flashing HDMI2.

So at this point I think it’s undoubtedly my monitor I don’t think it’s software incompatibility, where do I go from here?

Last edited:
What Linux distro are you using.

If using a Ubuntu than you have to install inxi

open the terminal and copy and paste this command

sudo apt install inxi

press enter then enter your password and press enter again.

When finished installing restart computer.

If using Arch eg Manjaro

sudo pacman -S inxi

and if using RPM-based eg Fedora eg centOS

sudo dnf install inxi

Welcome Oily. :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW You don't need to reboot, but it never hurts.

I would also add to know your cpu if possible. I know with my intels sometimes the microcode can get buggy after so long. I actually had to recently update the bios of one because the bios microcode was glitchy, and had a replacement bios (four years after I got it :’’( ) and updating that alongside a fresh install cleared up multiple issues.

Staff online