Linux freezes [SOLVED]

privatefrontier

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I have been running POP OS on my HP probook 450 G5 for about 4 months without issue. About a month ago my computer started randomly freezing after about 40 minutes. I installed gnome system log viewer and it looks like it freezes and the logs don't show anything. I thought maybe it was something up with the install so I got a different drive and decided to install garuda linux on it but, the same issue occurs. I checked my system temps and they are all normal. I thought maybe it was memory so I replaced both SO-DIMM modules but no change. To rule out hardware issues I installed windows (from which I am currently writing this) and I don't have this issue. I have updated the bios and reset all the settings in the bios to factory defaults (save for disabling secure boot) but I'm not making any headway.

Any help is appreciated.

The kernel version for POP was Linux 5.13.0-7620-generic
the kernel version for garuda was linux 5.14.14-zen1-1-zen

G'day @privatefrontier and welcome to linux.org :)

I would be inclined to disable secure boot and try with that, first.

If that does not work, there was an Ubuntu user here, who found success with deleting the package

xserver-xorg-video-intel

but the fact that you have the issue with two different distros suggests a BIOS issue.

In either event, if you get it up and running you should consider installing Timeshift on PopOS and taking a snapshot to system restore from. Garuda, being BTRFS, however - Timeshift has a BTRFS option but it is not as user-friendly as the EXT4 version. With Garuda, for system restore, you could look at Snapper (from openSUSE) if it will install, I know it does on Fedora.

Let us know how you go with the Secure Boot option.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Last edited:
G'day @privatefrontier and welcome to linux.org :)

I would be inclined to disable secure boot and try with that, first.

If that does not work, there was an Ubuntu user here, who fould success with deleting the package

xserver-xorg-video-intel

but the fact that you have the issue with two different distros suggests a BIOS issue.

In either event, if you get it up and running you should consider installing Timeshift on PopOS and taking a snapshot to system restore from. Garuda, being BTRFS, however - Timeshift has a BTRFS option but it is not as user-friendly as the EXT4 version. With Garuda, for system restore, you could look at Snapper (from openSUSE) if it will install, I know it does on Fedora.

Let us know how you go with the Secure Boot option.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Secure boot is already disabled. I can't get the OS to boot with it enabled. I will give the xserver video package removal a shot and let you know.

What is the output of
Code:
inxi -Fxz
from Pop OS terminal
the Mesa/Nouveau default drivers did update on or around 10 Nov, but if you have an NVIDIA GPU you might want to install the NVIDIA drivers because it is hit or miss with the Mesa/Nouveau drivers for that - I believe your machine has an NVIDIA MX-930 but the output from inxi -Fxz will tell for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the output of
Code:
inxi -Fxz
from Pop OS terminal
the Mesa/Nouveau default drivers did update on or around 10 Nov, but if you have an NVIDIA GPU you might want to install the NVIDIA drivers because it is hit or miss with the Mesa/Nouveau drivers for that - I believe your machine has an NVIDIA MX-930 but the output from inxi -Fxz will tell for sure
Apologies, thought I actually replied to this. Here is my system info:

System:
Kernel: 5.11.0-7620-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1
Desktop: GNOME 3.38.4 Distro: Pop!_OS 21.04 base: Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP ProBook 450 G5 v: N/A serial: <filter>
Mobo: HP model: 837D v: KBC Version 02.40.00 serial: <filter> UEFI: HP
v: Q85 Ver. 01.17.00 date: 08/04/2021
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 20.6 Wh condition: 38.7/48.0 Wh (81%)
model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Discharging
CPU:
Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-8250U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: Kaby Lake note: check rev: A L2 cache: 6 MiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
bogomips: 28800
Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 400/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800
3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915
v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
Device-2: Chicony HP HD Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus ID: 1-6:2
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.1
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.11.0-7620-generic
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 01:00.0
IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: rtw_8821ce v: N/A port: 3000
bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
Device-1: Realtek Realtek Bluetooth 4.2 Adapter type: USB driver: btusb
v: 0.8 bus ID: 1-7:3
Report: ID: hci0 state: up running bt-v: 2.1 lmp-v: 4.2 address: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 223.58 GiB used: 2.51 GiB (1.1%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Corsair model: Force MP500 size: 111.79 GiB
temp: 60.9 C
ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Intel model: SSDSC2BW120H6 size: 111.79 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 7.76 GiB used: 166.5 MiB (2.1%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102
Swap:
Alert: No Swap data was found.
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0 C mobo: 0.0 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 272 Uptime: 3m Memory: 15.52 GiB used: 2.28 GiB (14.7%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 10.3.0 Packages: 1768
Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.01

according to our reports and the customer service response attempt to restart your device is that fails remove and reinstall Linux
Screenshot 2021-12-11 9.52.44 PM.png

Pop!_OS 21.04 base: Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute support will end in Jan 2022 next month you will have to upgrade to 21.10 or use the LTS version 20.04 - personally I do not use these in-between versions they are designed for debugging and generally considered non-stable and not for everyday desktop use
Also you have
(Swap:
Alert: No Swap data was found.)
Which indicates you have no swap partition - When swap is more harmful than useful depends entirely on the workload of your system. If your system workload never causes the swap to be used, then there are no issues. If you have programs that allocate lots of memory, like some Games, (that ends up in swap) and never use it again, swap helps a lot (memory leak?). If your total working set size (what a program needs in physical ram) for everything that is running is larger than physical memory and some of the overflow ends up in swap, then your system will freeze, constantly trying to push things to swap and load other things back in.

Pop!_OS 21.04 base: Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute support will end in Jan 2022 next month you will have to upgrade to 21.10 or use the LTS version 20.04 - personally I do not use these in-between versions they are designed for debugging and generally considered non-stable and not for everyday desktop use
Also you have
(Swap:
Alert: No Swap data was found.)
Which indicates you have no swap partition - When swap is more harmful than useful depends entirely on the workload of your system. If your system workload never causes the swap to be used, then there are no issues. If you have programs that allocate lots of memory, like some Games, (that ends up in swap) and never use it again, swap helps a lot (memory leak?). If your total working set size (what a program needs in physical ram) for everything that is running is larger than physical memory and some of the overflow ends up in swap, then your system will freeze, constantly trying to push things to swap and load other things back in.
setup a swap partition and that seems to have fixed the issue. Sorry, I was thinking I wouldn't need one since my memory usage was never higher than about 75% of my total even at high usage. Thanks for your help.

Ubuntu 21.04 is the base for Pop! OS 21.04.
Hirsute support will end in January 2022, so you'll have to upgrade to version 21.10 or use the LTS version 20.04 - I don't use these in-between versions because they're designed for debugging and are generally considered unstable, so they're not suitable for everyday desktop use.

(Swap: Alert: No Swap data was found.) You also have (Swap: Alert: No Swap data was found here.)

This means you don't have a swap partition -
When swap is more harmful than helpful is entirely dependent on your system's workload.
There are no issues if your system workload never causes the swap to be used.
Swap can help a lot if you have programmes that allocate a lot of memory (that ends up in swap) and then never use it again (memory leak?).
If the total working set size (the amount of physical ram a programme requires) for everything that is running is greater than physical ram,

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts