Operating System: Pop!_OS 20.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
Qt Version: 5.12.8
Kernel-Version: 5.9.1-050901-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM

There is an NVIDIA GTX Geforce 1560 in this machinery too...

So the problem tends to happen when playing audio. After awhile whether it will be a zoom call or a video playing.
Steps: Audio cuts off completely.
Playback cuts off.
It either lets me continue doing whatever without watching or hearing or it freezes.
Also freezes when trying to restart the computer. So it comes down to giving my finger a marriage with lovely maria the shutdown button.

A little help here? I've tried switching kernels. I've tried just now switching the NVIDIA driver from open source to proprietary.

Have you tried looking in your error logs? There's a lovely GUI way to do this called KSystemLog.

So...I moved to Linux Mint...similar problem occurs...I have the program KSystem Log. I am confused on which one you are fishing for?

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2020-10-22 14-22-59.png
    Screenshot at 2020-10-22 14-22-59.png
    439.9 KB · Views: 230
Look through them, particularly the system log - but check them all, to see if there are any errors around the time the problem occurs. When the audio and playback stop, open the log viewer, and look.

In your image, there's a sof-audio-pci error. That one, for example, can be entered into a search engine - or someone might already know of a fix. That may not be the error and there may be more, so check it the next time the problem happens.

Then you'll have the information to search and ask more detailed questions and hopefully get a resolution.

Have a look at THIS

Seeing you have changed to Linux Mint, it would be in your best interests to activate Timeshift.....take a snapshot, preferably to an external hard drive.
This will give you a point to restore to if things go south for some reason

Staff online